Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Towbar bike rack Atera STRADA DL or STRADA EVO
  • Lakes_Puma

Anyone compared the two above racks, I initially thought that the EVO offered more space between the bikes but someone uploaded a photo with 3 bikes all tilted towards each other on an EVO rack I think.

Given the choice of the two of them not factoring price which is the better rack?

Lakes_Puma

no one?

gkeeffe

I have the Strada DL3 – Its brilliant for 2 bikes as you can keep them apart as you can use slot one and slot three, Once you get to three bikes you need a bit of packing to prevent stantions being rubbed. If the evo has more distance between the bikes I’d get it….

andyg1966

Pendle racks are more ‘agricultural’ but have 20cm spacing between bikes.

Most carriers are 17-19cm. 17cm is no good for bike with bolt tthrough axles and fat forks.

If you buy a 4 bike pendle, you can fit 3 carriers and have 25cm spacing.

In addition racks with the clamps that you have to thread between frames are a PITA when it come to full sus bikes with very little space in the front ‘triangle’. The cheaper racks with a pole that you strap the bike to seem better.

bravesirrobin

I have a Strada Evo and have measured the wheel rails at 19cm centres and the top tubes of the first 2 bikes at 17cm; so they do lean together very slightly. I’m very happy with the rack and for reference can put a SC 5010 V2 (with 148 boost rear), 26 inch hard tail and 2 kids bikes (with 4th bike extension) on it quite comfortably …although you do have to be a little careful of rubbing points.

pdw
    Free Member

I got the DL 3, and sent it back and got the Evo. The killer for me was that you can’t swap the support arms over on the DL 3. I find it hard enough fitting various combinations of bikes on and I think not being able to swap the arms would make it impossible to fit some combinations. Plus when you come to load the third bike and realise that you forgot to feed the arm through the frame of the first, you don’t have to start from scratch.

The bikes do lean together a bit on the Evo which makes things harder. I don’t know if this is any better on the DL 3. You can make a bit more space by loading the bike with the narrowest down tube first.

On the downside, the Evo is heavier, which may be an issue if you’re close to the limit on tow bar weight.

Mugboo

DL3 here, can’t compare but I’m happy with it. Best solution for rubbing I’ve seen is 4 biggish squares of foam trapped between each bike, certainly easier than messing about with pipe lagging.
    Once you’ve got them on, take a photo for next time.

gkeeffe

+1 for the photo and foam! It’s an art getting three on the DL3. But it can be done with patience

Lakes_Puma

Thanks for all the responses guys. Photos of anyone and everyone’s setups would be great to see.

Lakes_Puma

Aghh, ready to pull the trigger and still am none the wiser as to which one to get!

Any more words of wisdom?

cultsdave
    Free Member

To make your choice even more difficult I recently bought the Thule Euroclassic G6 929 after reading reviews of the Atera ones not being quite as solid as the Thule. My mate had 4 large “Enduro” bikes on it and it still felt solid.

andyg1966

A Pendle picture … 25cm spacing

Hope the link works …

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Towbar bike rack Atera STRADA DL or STRADA EVO’ is closed to new replies.