Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Tow bar mounted bike racks?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thule 9503 here, I don’t put 3 bikes on it now, as it’s a pain in the arse to stop maxles/QRs rubbing against forks/frames. I should modify it, by re drilling the holes and spacing the bikes slightly further outward, but I’ve not bothered yet.

Got one of these too trailer

Made a wee strut for front and back, so I can get 4 bikes in it, with camelbaks etc in between. If I had to have only one, it’d be the trailer.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Thanks for the input, decided it must carry 4 bikes, kids will only get older and need bigger bikes etc, so looking at these 3, the Buzz Quattro, Thule euro classic and the Atera strada, will do some more research, keep the reviews coming guys, thanks a lot.

Alex

On the parking sensor note, you tend to have to get the car ‘tow bar coded’, Mine (skoda) has the dreaded canbus system so I paid to have it coded when I had the tow bar. It does have the advantage of extending the ‘bulb broken’ diag to the trailer lights.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Any reason you are discounting the halfrauds one?
    I know the place is a hell hole but its well worth a look for half the price.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Not looked at that one yet….

Alex

Just found this:

They Fit! by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

That’s a massive XL Canfield ‘the one’ (longest bike in history!), a nearly as massive XL Alpine and my more normal human sized Rocket on my trailer. The issues as I remember them were the canfield wheels were right on the edge of the trailer runners but that is one long bike. We needed a fair amount of padding to stop the rubbing of Maxles (front and back), and – for security – we strapped the bikes together so if one did go, they all went!

80MPH to Les Ges. No issue at all. We might have been close to the trailer max weight but it didn’t manifest itself as a problem.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Regarding the halfords one….

1) it takes two people to put it on
    2) it doesn’t lock
    3) doesn’t tilt
    4) gets poor reviews….

Buy nice or buy twice!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Err nope. It gets put on by me, has quick release mechanism, it tilts, it locks and folds away and goes in the boot a piece of piss.

nickewen
    Free Member

Regarding parking sensors. Mine sets them off as soon as I put it in reverse but just press the button on the dash to switch them off each time.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Mottez four bike cRrier until recently.
    Ridiculously well built – would probably write off anything that hit it, tilts, no touching of bikes due to size, lights, etc.
    Never need to carry four bikes anymore so will be in the classifieds soon.

weeksy
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My new set up, as mentioned above.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Potentially could be interested in that Hammyuk?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Will get some pics for you Jonny

ransos
    Free Member

I have the buzzrack one. It’s really solid, and can be tilted to get into the boot. It does interfere with the parking sensor but I just live with it.

Tracey

Had a Thule one for quite a few years, it has been to the Alps eight times with four bikes on and is used on a weekly basis at home. Never had a problem with it

Last bike is attached with a strap as some scrote tried to get the bike off but only managed to dammage the lock attachment.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I have one of these. Badged as Diamant, but the box it came in said Towsure. I expect other companies badge these as their own product too.

No assembly, required other than to fit the number plate, folds flat in seconds, nice quality finish, full wiring and lighting, storage bag, everything locks with keys (included). An ingenious little design for much less than the well known brand – I paid around £150 last year, but seems like they are more now. This is a 2 bike only rack.

Diamant tow bar rack.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Tow bar mounted bike racks?’ is closed to new replies.