Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Tow bar cycle carriers any deals and good quality
  • whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I’ve got the tow bar fitted and got the reg plate and adaptor 13/9 pin adaptor
    and now need a cycle rack.

ideally for 2 size large mtb (maybe 3) 27.5/29 tyres 2.3-2.6 wide
    With locks and ease of use

Looked at atera strada and Thule but seems to be lots of variants and silly prices for new, i went the eBay route but ended up with a broken one so returned and refunded .

Anyone tried the cheaper Screwfix/go outdoor option, or seen any good deals

martymac

I bought a buzzrack E scorpion.
    Over £300, but still good value.
    Takes 2 Ebikes easily, takes a 3” tyre no problem.
    It is rock solid, tilts to allow access to boot.
    Would buy the same again.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Thanks @martymac
    I think I’ve just read your comments from the earlier towbar thread, I searched tow bar so got no hits and added this new topic ..

The buzzracks look good value

ta11pau1

There’s a 5% off for roofbox stuff too here https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/offers/

The buzzrack e-scorpion 2 is decent value at £300, I was looking at the Atera Genio Pro but that’s £435 cheapest at the moment.

martymac

Yeah I have mentioned it before.
    I would happily have bought any brand tbh, but every shop I went to had zero stock, so i ended up buying online.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

@ta11pau1 Just used that campsite offer to buy some roofbars – thank you 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have an older version of the Buzzrack Scorpion so don’t know whether the new one has improved in these areas but mine is a little hefty and requires a spanner to fit to the tow ball. I chose it and like it because it provides roomy accommodation for two bikes rather than trying to squeeze on as many bikes as possible.  I found racks that are trying to fit three or more bikes tend to be more awkward to load when you have long bikes with chunky tyres and wide bars.  Quality wise it is fine but more functional than the last word in refinement

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Looks like the tightening spanner is now built in,
    Think I’ll go for the buzz rack e-scorpion 2, the video looks good, has barrels locks, comes with long tyre straps (Thule atera charge for longer ones) Folds up for storage, plenty of width and space between mountain bikes.
    Can always borrow a mates 3 rack if we decide to fill the car for a trip.

It seems other brands still go with fitting as many kids / cheap bikes it can, rather than accommodate bigger tyres and pedals.

These adverts storing the bike in the boot while riding, car boots full already :0)

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve got the standard discontinued Buzzrack Scorpion 2, but the new one looks like a big improvement!

Still, mine is really easy to use and I’ve had an XL Pace RC529 on there with the drop outs set to the longest with no issues.

iainc

I chose an Atera Strada E over the Scorpion and Thule XT Velospace as I didn’t want to use the tension frame clamps on carbon frames.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Use mine with all my carbon bikes and there’s no issue. Clamps are fine as long as you’re not swinging off them to tighten it 🙂

proutster
    Free Member

In my experience it’s always best to get a 3-bike carrier, even if most of the time you only carry 2. It means that you can put the two bikes in tray 1 & tray 3 and there’s absolutely no chance of them bashing together.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Pendle Bike Rack. https://pendle-bike.co.uk/

i’ve had mine for 15 years. Driven all over europe. Simple design and rock solid.

This is the one i use, but they also do tilting etc..

Standard Hang on Tow Bar Rack

phil5556

In my experience it’s always best to get a 3-bike carrier, even if most of the time you only carry 2. It means that you can put the two bikes in tray 1 & tray 3 and there’s absolutely no chance of them bashing together.

The Velospace XT 2 has loads of space for fat bikes and boost with no chance of them touching. I think it’s got one of the biggest clearances I could find when looking.

It’s not cheap though but I’m very happy with it.

ta11pau1

Looks like the tightening spanner is now built in,
    Think I’ll go for the buzz rack e-scorpion 2, the video looks good, has barrels locks, comes with long tyre straps (Thule atera charge for longer ones) Folds up for storage, plenty of width and space between mountain bikes.
    Can always borrow a mates 3 rack if we decide to fill the car for a trip.

Yeah the spanner is all built in now, I’ve only used mine once but have no complaints apart from little things like the number plate mount being very hard to remove, and there being no place to tidy the (long) wheel straps.

It’s very well built, mostly metal and any plastic is decent quality. The spacing is very generous, it’s got 4 basic wheels so you don’t pull a muscle lifting it to the car. I was a little concerned about a carbon bike with the clamps but you don’t need to tighten them that much, the bike is rock solid with just the one clamp. I got a free strap too which I use and with that I’ve got no worries.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Thanks ta11paul, had a good luck at your picture and looks plenty of room, now 3 days before BLACKFRIDAY what’s the chances of a further discount, or just order it with 5% U.K. camping discount

Marko

Atera Strada  with the third bike adapter here.

It can be a faff slotting the locking/holding arms through various bike configurations, but we had an Orange alpine (L), YT Capra (XL?) and a Radon Swoop (M) on it for last years Alps trip. Once you’ve figured the best arrangement it works fine.

Only bad point is the slide release mechanism that is a bit awkward to use – I don’t use it though as with the bikes loaded it will not allow the tail gate to open any way.

Only other issue is that if you have the mandatory STW middle class vehicle of choice, don’t put the bike with 800+ bars on the inside.

Hth

mashr

proutster

Subscriber

No required with the e-bike carriers being discussed here, they all have extra spacing to work with Boost spacing. The Atera Strada i have needs the same thinking you mention though

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

thanks all, got the buzzrack e-scorpion 2 in the end and its great, just opened it up and had a look, its like a transformer and takes up less than a 1/3 of the floor space of what the atera strada 3 i’d bought on ebay covered, which will keep the wife happy, it feels really sturdy and well thought out, wide spacing for 2 bikes ..

was gonna ask the Reg plate seems really easy to put on and off, has anyone had it knicked, or do you remove it when parking your car up and riding.

ta11pau1

Yeah I thought that, I might put a couple of bolts through just to put it on permanently.

I was going to use some double sided tape but getting it on with getting to slide the plate in would be a right faff!

martymac

I remove it when parked, as I thought the same

ElShalimo

Thread resurrection:

We have a 10 yr old Buzzrack which is now very “tired”. I’m thinking of replacing it with a new rack but I don’t like the frame clamping/attachment points on the Buzzrack.

Has anyone used both an Atera Strada Sport and a Buzzrack?  Are the Ateras much better?

Are there any other racks to consider in the £250-350 price range?

We usually have 2 bikes with us but sometimes 3; old 26″ MTBs, hybrids, gravel bikes etc.

bigdaddy

I’m also interested in this thread- my thule rack (and towbar) was crashed into in the car park at Swinley and is destroyed. Seems it pretty badly damaged the car that hit it too, although I didn’t see that damage so it is an insurance job – so looking at 3 bike carrier options to replace it. That buzz rack looks quite good…

ElShalimo

Nice but that’s £500 !!

mashr

Don’t buy anything unless you know for certain it has spacing for boost. Not having this is a complete PITA when modern bikes are involved

ElShalimo

No boost bikes in our house

andrewpic
    Free Member

The Atera is well made, but I sold mine. It doesn’t cope with boost spacing, or fat tyres and modern long wheelbases.

ElShalimo

Thanks @andrewpic. Our MTBs are old 26″ hardtails and won’t be replaced soon. We use the hybrids most of the time due to my decrepit body.

andrewpic
    Free Member

In that case the Atera will work fine. It isn’t cheap, but it’s a good product, within the limitations already mentioned.

mashr

ElShalimo

No boost bikes in our house

Given the money and timescales (a rack should last a long time) involved you’d be mad not to future-proof imo

iainc

I bought the Atera ebike one and it’s fine with boost and big tyres, they even sell longer fat bike wheel straps to use with it as required. Also copes with long wheelbase :

Here

grey_or_black

I’ve got an Atera Strada with space for 3 bikeS but can not fit two due to the boost hub size on our bikes. Now that we need to be taking another bike with us and it’s getting too large for the boot, are there any options for a bike rack to carry all 3 bikes on the towbar? Carriers like the Strada have different length arms which are fine for 3 adult bikes but seem to be no good for what I want to fit on the carrier?

Is there any way I can avoid roof bike carriers?

garage-dweller

@grey_or_black

Other than economy/height restrictions and very heavy bikes (e bikes etc);I am an almost total convert to roof carriers (family of four with both kids presently on 24″ wheels). So long as you’re in roof rack capacity (100kg for our estate) you don’t have to think about leverage effect of tow bar nose weights (which legally can be quite restrictive) and you stand a good chance of seeing out of the back window. A 120cm roof bar will easily manage 4 MTBs (worst case you may have to turn one or two handlebars) and it mostly doesn’t need adjusting for different bikes.

We have a towbar but I’d still go roof rack again based on my last couple of years experiences and the ever changing standards and shapes of mountain bikes. Only exception might be if I only ever carried one bike at a time at which point it’s probably more convenient to have a single well set up tow bar rack.

iainc

no doubt a silly question, but what difference do Boost hubs make to fitting on the rack ? Is it just that the overall unit is wider, reducing space for second bike if a Boost one is on first ?

timnoyce
    Free Member

Following a thread on here a little while back, I bought a Buzz Rack Buzzy Bee 4 as I feel like it was on offer:

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-accessories-nc/buzz-rack-buzzy-bee-4-bike-wheel-support-rack-black/11259570.html

It’s been great. We’ve been putting 2 adult and 2 childrens bikes on there. My Sonder is massive and it fits ok so wouldn’t be too worried about any sizing issues unless you have a longest Geometron or something.

grey_or_black

no doubt a silly question, but what difference do Boost hubs make to fitting on the rack ? Is it just that the overall unit is wider, reducing space for second bike if a Boost one is on first ?

I think we found that trying to fit one big with boost hubs and two bikes with normal hubs (whatever was normal for 26” wheels) wasn’t possible with our Atera Strada DL3 carrier. With two bikes with boost hubs, the middle rack has to be left empty.

iainc

I think we found that trying to fit one big with boost hubs and two bikes with normal hubs (whatever was normal for 26” wheels) wasn’t possible with our Atera Strada DL3 carrier. With two bikes with boost hubs, the middle rack has to be left empty.

thanks, I haven’t tried a second bike on the Strada E Bike ML, so could have same scenario, as first and only bike often a FS Boost 29er ebike..

Description does say :

‘Designed to transport two electric bikes (e-bikes) or bicycles. The distance between the bike rails is 230 mm, leaving plenty of space for the drive unit or battery. It’s 120cm wide making it a great option for bikes with larger wheelbases (up to 143cm).’

…so may give it a test !

mashr

Strada E should be fine for Boost

pdw
    Free Member

Even non-boost bikes can be a challenge on most 3/4 bike carriers as the spacing is very tight. I think my Strada Evo is 19cm spacing. Takes a lot of fiddling to avoid contact between QRs and forks/stays.

It also surprising how far stuff moves in a 70mph wind. The buzz rack above with double straps on the front wheel seems like a really good idea.

We’re now a family of four and at least one of us likes travelling with two bikes, so it’s no longer a choice between roof and tow bar for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Tow bar cycle carriers any deals and good quality’ is closed to new replies.