Tow bar. Bike rack

Home Forum Bike Forum Tow bar. Bike rack

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tow bar. Bike rack
  • Marmoset

I’ve always left my racks on the outside unless it’s a very dodgy car park and someone’s likely to have a go at nicking it.

Premier Icon JohnClimber
    Subscriber

Buy a Pendle rack like this and it fits in your boot without problems

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5430

The 6″ off set is great for normal estates as well as it moved the bars away from the window

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

leave it out mate – it’ll be fine. Go to any carpark with MTBers and you’ll see loads of racks hanging off cars, no one is going to drive into it.

It’s possible that an unscrupulous person could nick it off the back of your motor, but seems highly unlikely.

sm

I’m about to buy a Thule 9403 tow bar mount. My question is what do I do when I go riding, as I figure it will hang out in the way of other cars in the car park. Will it fit in a golf boot? Doesn’t that defeat the objective having to take it on and off?

Thanks

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

What Garry said. I’ve had a Thule towbar rack that locks on my towbar for 3 years with no issues. Pointless putting it in your boot, they get manky and you might as well not have bothered and carry your bike in the car. Never had any probs with scrotes trying to liberate it or people driving into it. The only time it could have been an issue the other week at penmachno where the car park is pretty narrow, I took the bikes off and then reversed the car in so that the bike rack hung over the steep hill. Sorted.

pitcherpro

I’ll sell you my thule carrier if you want !?It’s the 972 model Great bit of kit and can tilt down to gain access to boot . I no longer have a bike and will not use it again.

alanf

Find a spot where you can reverse in so its out of the way, and leave it on there!

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

You can get one of these locks to stop someone simlply un-bolting your rack when you are away from your car. (It’s only plastic though so probably easy enough to smash it off.)

My 9403 carrier fits in the boot of my Berlingo easily, and it doesn’t stick out that far anyway when it’s left on.

coastkid

i have a Pendle rack like John Climbers link and its ace, and it does simply pull out after removing the spring clip to lie flat in the boot where it stays all the time…

a friend has the Thule rack which folds to allow boot access whch is handy :o, and it has lights and locks…

b r

I’ve had a 9403 for about 5 years now, I just leave it attached.

Only thing ever lost/stolen (not sure which) was a couple of the wheel straps – note, always remember to attach them even when a bikes not on.

I use a 9502, and have never had any issues. as others have said, in tight areas if possible unload the bikes then reverse the car in so it overhangs into bushes etc.

As for locking it on I use one of those plastic locks on the clamp bolt, as had been said earlier, it could probably be smashed off pretty easy. But I have a cable lock that I use to secure the bikes onto the rack during transit (for peace of mind during pi$$ stops etc)
    I tend to use that to lock the carrier to a lug on the underside of the car when I’m parked up with the bikes off.

sm

Thx for all the replies, it’s ordered plus lock!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tow bar. Bike rack’ is closed to new replies.