Tow bar / bike rack question

Home Forum Bike Forum Tow bar / bike rack question

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tow bar / bike rack question
  • robdob

Might be getting a brand new Focus Estate soon. One option is a electrically retractable tow bar. I’ve always wanted a tow bar bike rack but was wondering if anyone had one if these towbars? Would a bike rack fit ok? Can’t see a car with one at the moment.

craigxxl

The electric retractable towbars are the swan neck type and work with bike racks. Electric towbars are a waste of money though unless you are really bone idle just get a removable one instead.

nickewen

I’ve got a detachable swan neck type and works well with Thule 3 bike carrier. Its easy to get on and off. 10 seconds to install and lock th tow bar.

robdob

The electric retractable towbars are the swan neck type and work with bike racks. Electric towbars are a waste of money though unless you are really bone idle just get a removable one instead.

I know what you’re saying, but it’s the only option on this car available to me. Limited options on a work lease car, and I’m not sure if you can still order a normal one anymore anyway.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

It will work fine for the type of towbar mounted rack that clamps on the town ball. It will not work at all for the type where a bracket has to be inserted behind the towball fixing

robdob

Checked Focus brochure and it’s the only towbar you can get from the factory. 🙂
    Option includes hill start assist and anti sway something or other..

craigxxl

It’s not badly priced for a factory option at £600 which is what they used to charge for the detachable towbar.

Premier Icon igm
    Subscriber

Beware. The anti-sway etc is part of a set of mods to the ABS, traction control, stability settings etc that are applied whenever the tow bar is in use. They are aimed at towing caravans and may not be the best for a bike rack.

On the S-Max they switch off the rear fog lights for example. Great with a caravan, but one of the reasons i spec’ed an aftermarket detachable towbar.

ross980

I’d have thought* the anti-sway would work off the ABS sensors (i.e detecting and correcting a fish tailing heavy trailer/caravan) and correct only as required, otherwise it’d be useless for towing small un-braked trailers?

*I have no idea

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tow bar / bike rack question’ is closed to new replies.