Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • tow ball bike rack – grease the ball?
  • grievoustim
    Free Member

hello – just had a tow bar fitted to my car – and got an Atera Strada rack to go on it (thanks for the recommendations on my earlier thread everyone)

The guy who did the fitting just said I should grease the ball (he knew I was using it for bikes and not a caravan) – however a quick google suggests this advise is incorrect and only applies to caravans and trailers – in fact my tow ball should be clean and grease free

So – just to be sure, does everyone here keep their balls clean?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve never greased mine, sounds quite pleasant though.

geoffj

No grease

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

Grease free

martinhutch

My thule manual suggested you could clean it up a bit with solvent every now and again though. Not that I ever have.

legend
    Free Member

When towing the ball is greased to allow the join to pivot freely, I don’t think you want the rack doing the same!

ThePinkster

You should only grease the towball if the hitchlock rotates on it, like a trailer would.

Even then it should only be greased if you’re using a traditional hitchlock, not an Alko type stabiliser.

As you’re using a rack with no need to pivot I’d personally avoid using grease as you want as much friction as possible between the clamp and towball to reduce any chance of slipping.

If your towball is painted I’d even recommend removing the paint with some emery paper before attaching the clamp for the first time.

alanf
    Free Member

Not greased and using the same rack

Jaz1979
    Free Member

No grease, you need the friction to stop it moving

bruneep

Grease the ball or rub with emery paper……. 😕

Today’s dilemma

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘tow ball bike rack – grease the ball?’ is closed to new replies.