• This topic has 31 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Tourism Australia
  • ratherbeintobago

Bold move paying for a TV ad campaign starring Kylie, at a time when whenever the country appears on the telly it’s on fire.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Great ad, I love wee Kylie.

MoreCashThanDash

Is the advert only on on Fridays?

ratherbeintobago

No, it was on this evening.

Warming to the theme, I know we think we have shit politicians but somehow the Aussies contrive to have the likes of Morrison and Joyce.

jaylittle
    Free Member

It’s a pretty big country, I’m sure it’s not all on fire….

Mikkel
    Free Member

In Melbourne right now, not on fire but Friday the smoke from the fires made it here.
    They had to advise people not to report fires just from smoke alone as so many people were calling emergency services.

footflaps

Supposedly they’re trying to capitalise on the Brexit issue, but politically you’d think it would appeal to Brexiteers as Oz is even more anti-immigration and racist than the UK.

cookeaa

Meh, it’s a quite well observed summary of the UK/Aus national relationship using plenty icons we recognise, and their only trying to persuade us to take a holiday…

It’s not like the British tourism industry would have many qualms capitalising on minor upheaval in another country…

And Kylie get a pass whatever because she’s Kylie…

daveylad
    Free Member

On a scale of zero to one, I would give her one.

ratherbeintobago

Supposedly they’re trying to capitalise on the Brexit issue, but politically you’d think it would appeal to Brexiteers as Oz is even more anti-immigration and racist than the UK.

Well, electing politicians like the above mentioned Barnaby Joyce certainly gives that impression.

epicyclo

jaylittle

It had a pretty good go at it.

It came within a km of my sone’s house in Dimbulah (North Queensland)

maccruiskeen

I think the standard unit for measuring how much of Australia is on fire is ‘an area the size of Wales’. How many areas-the-size-of-Wales are on fire?

ratherbeintobago

How many areas-the-size-of-Wales are on fire?

An area the size of New South Wales?

RichPenny
    Free Member

So far, an area about 1.5x the size of Wales has burnt. And it’s not even **** summer yet.

Poopscoop

My mate said its karma from God for exporting so much coal to China.

He’s from NZ though, so its ok to say that?

batfink
    Free Member

I live in the middle of Sydney – we had ash flakes the size of your fingernail falling out the sky earlier this week. The one saving grace was that they weren’t still glowing.

Blue sky and about thirty today though….. I’m off for a surf.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Not a fan of the advert, the full one is far too long.
    Is it wanting us to emigrate or have a holiday or just giving us a shoulder to cry on.

Can’t believe it’s sixteen years since I lived in Manly, had the best of times

ratherbeintobago

I assume it’s a holiday ad.

epicyclo

About 1974/5 I flew over one in the outback with a 400km wide front.

It barely hit the news because there was nothing in its path.

I remember when it came our way it was evening and at first it looked like the sun was setting on the wrong side of the world, and then it popped over the hill. That certainly got our attention. 🙂

ratherbeintobago

Aye, I believe 1974 was the worst fire until this year, which is worse and closer to population centres.

BruceWee

Come on, it’s not just racists.

They are also trying to become more homophobic and bigoted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/14/religious-discrimination-bill-what-will-australians-be-allowed-to-say-and-do-if-it-passes

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, I don’t get why anyone would want to go on holiday or even worse live in a country where there are even more racist, homophobic and bigoted people than the UK. Unless maybe the UK is too liberal for them?

highlandman
    Free Member

It’s alright, they’re on borrowed time anyway across large parts of the country. The big fires just mean that the water is getting used up even faster than before and many areas will become permanently uninhabitable before long. Some wine areas are already drilling deep for fossil water, having emptied their aquifers already and salinity in the remaining water courses is a huge problem across the south, threatening grain growing across the whole Murray/Darling basin.
    Oz needs to seriously look at cutting its population rather than growing it, cutting back on exports of fossil fuels and needs to take responsibility for the carbon footprint of its tourism industry too. I wonder what it’ll look like in another hundred years or so…

epicyclo

highlandman
    …Oz needs to seriously look at cutting its population rather than growing it, cutting back on exports of fossil fuels and needs to take responsibility for the carbon footprint of its tourism industry too. I wonder what it’ll look like in another hundred years or so…

This was all foreseen 100 years ago.

The answer then was to restore the ancient central Eromanga Sea and environment by cutting a canal through from the Gulf of Carpenteria. (I may have the detail wrong, but that was the concept).

Technically it would be much easier to do today, but the politics are probably impossible, ie numerous native land rights to be considered and hopefully respected, urban environmental lobbies etc.

It may be only possible with a totalitarian govt.

It would certainly be a major piece of climate engineering. It was intended to enable Australia to sustain a much larger population as befits a continent.

Klunk
    Free Member
    richmtb

Australia is now up to 8Mn Hectares burned.

That’s 4x the area of Wales or 1 Scotland if you prefer.

It’s not even “fire season” yet.

I lived in Australia in the 80’s. Bushfires were a fact of life, but back then Australia’s population was well under 20 million and the cities hadn’t really expanded out into the bush

stewartc
    Free Member

It may be only possible with a totalitarian govt.

The rate the Chinese are buying up land there that may be possible in the near future 🙂

epicyclo

Someone is having a fire sale…

jaylittle
    Free Member

jaylittle

It had a pretty good go at it.

It came within a km of my sone’s house in Dimbulah (North Queensland)

I hope your son is ok. Friends in WA not seen any fires.

16stonepig
    Free Member

My folks are out there, in a satellite of Sydney. Dad is suffering with lung trouble due to all the smoke.
    And I imagine he’s pretty nervous now, since a house he built from scratch was lost to the 2006 fires.

bearnecessities
    Klunk
    Free Member
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Tourism Australia’ is closed to new replies.