Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Touring tires . Moon on a stick pls
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Got a puncture on the tourer on Friday currently runs stock schwalbe delta cruisers (790g)

While changing the puncture I noted that the white areas on the central tread were the puncture belt showing…. Ie its ****

700 x-35-40ish no heavier than the delta , would like a less dead feeling tire though it’s like riding solid rubber even when punctured. . Mixed use tread no full slick as farm tracks and fire roads often encountered on my magical mystery tours .

Noticed Vitoria do some 120tpi touring esq tires … Any experiance ?

Oh and moon on a stick .. for all their faults the deltas only punctured twice in 10k miles …. Once on Friday and once on the highway of tears when a few inches of a. trucks tire wire belt pierced my tire.

Bez

My first resort here would probably be the Marathon Almotion.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Continental Contact Speed?

Much less dead feeling than tyres like Marathons but still been very puncture resistant on the commuter. Also handle a few bridleways and fire roads fairly well.

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve toured for years on Panaracer Paselas and found them to be pretty good. I can only remember one puncture in 1000s of Km, they roll pretty well and will certainly cope with a bit of gravel. My wife has the same on her tourer and they’ve been similarly reliable for her too.

tthew

Continental Contacts in the tread pattern of your choice. Awesome tyres. Bikester.co.uk are punting them out at reasonable discounts at the moment.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Vittoria voyager hyper 38mm or 35mm are fantastic, but have been discontinued, bastards! struggling to work out what they replaced them with?.

trail_rat
    Free Member

That almotion is tubeless that piques my interest

Tubeless touring with dynaplugs sounds dreamy as you always puncture in the rain and nothing worse than stripping off panniers to change a tube in the rain.

CraigW
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. Fairly lightweight, nice rolling. They are mostly slick, but I think the 35mm size is ok for a bit of gravelly stuff.

boblo
    Free Member

I also like Pasela’s though they are nothing like Marathon’s – in a good way. They’re pretty puncture resistant, comfy, supple and relatively good value. The sidewalls can be a bit prone to damage so they’re not a go anywhere, do anything, ferk the consequences tyre. I use 32’s on the tourers and IIRC 47’s on the tandem. I get about ~3k miles out of a set on both.

I’m currently using Marathon Supreme’s on the newest tourer. They’re comfy but expensive and wear out very quickly. Similar puncture resistance as the Paselas. I get about 2.5k miles out of them on the tandem and a little more on the solos.

IHN

Vittoria voyager hyper 38mm or 35mm are fantastic, but have been discontinued, bastards! struggling to work out what they replaced them with?.

if you find out, let me know, they’re ace tyres

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s looking like a tubeless marathon might be the way forward.

If I’m honest it only really feels dead on the commute.

My days of ultralight touring are essentially over. More likely be over night bike packing trips on the MTb.

When I’m touring now it’s 4 panniers and most modcons – which the delta cruiser coped admirably with out in canada -more so now as I’ll have a trailer out back with jnr in it so a HD tire might be no bad thing.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme.

These are fast tyres, I have them on my kickbike. Never had a puncture yet.

honeybadgerx

I’ve been running spesh pathfinder pro’s on my gravel bike for the past few weeks and been very impressed so far. I find you can adjust the pressure to decide how much grip you want out of them, and at 30-35 psi they’re surprisingly good even with the narrow slick centre strip. Likewise, up at 50-60 psi they roll really fast on road. Can’t overly comment on puncture resistance as I’ve not had one (though running tubeless), I think they come with whatever proprietary puncture resistant liner too.

mrb123
    Free Member

Never managed to puncture my Vittoria Randonneur Pros despite many miles on filthy winter roads and gravel. Not sure if they still do them or not but worth a look.

ransos
    Free Member

Vittoria voyager hyper 38mm or 35mm are fantastic, but have been discontinued, bastards!

Yes, they were my commuting tyre of choice for years. I’ve replaced them with Conti sport contacts.

irc

Marathon Supreme. Spa Cycxles doing 700×40 for £20. I went from California to Florida on Supremes with only one puncture.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/schwalbe-marathon-supreme-2016

tjagain

Another conti contact fan. Travel contact pro for me

Sandwich

Schwalbe Silento’s if you can find them. Not too draggy and cheap but 625g an end.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Touring tires . Moon on a stick pls’ is closed to new replies.