Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Touring round Croatia
  • BigJohn

Mrs BigJohn & I fancy a week or so in Croatia in early July. We usually book a flight, a car, and maybe a first night hotel and take it from there. We’ll probably fly via Dubrovnik or Split and hope to get a few days at a good windsurfing spot. I think I fancy some relaxing flat water blasting.
    Anybody done similar and how easy is it to get around and find cheap but reasonable accommodation at that time of year.
    Any must do-s and don’ts?

BigJohn

Might have posted that one a bit early. Now I’m back from a very muddy ride, and have had hot-aches in the shower, I wonder if anybody’s used the car ferry from Split to the islands?

ploeb
    Free Member

yeh we done it in 2012, but we made most of our room bookings in advance on booking.com.
    Paid between 45 and 90euro a night, dubrovnik was the most expensive.
    We had to plan it quite carefully cos some ferry routes only have like 2 crossings a day and i guess if the ferry is full you wont get a place. Ferries were surprisingly expensive also, like more than 50euro a few times.

This was out itinerary, all nice places maybe a bit too much travelling, I dont remember exactly what ferries we used:

Tuesday dubrovnik
    Wednesday dubrovnik
    Thursday dubrovnik/mijet
    Friday korcula
    Saturday hvar
    Sunday brac
    Monday vis
    Tuesday Split
    Wednesday Trogir
    Thursday Sibenik/Krka
    Friday plitvicki
    Saturday free day
    Sunday zagreb
    Monday flight back to dubrovnik

BigJohn

Thanks for that. Just booked flights into out if Dubrovnik rather than doing a south to north trip. Might plan a gentle mooch up to Korcula and back again.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Anecdotally, you used to get off the bus in Croatian towns and various old women would be waiting to offer you rooms. From recent experience, I think those people are now on AirBnB.

Also, the last time we tried to do this, we got to Rovinj (from Venice by fast ferry), and MrsDummy declared that it was perfect and we would go no further. Which was a lovely development in fact.

🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Touring round Croatia’ is closed to new replies.