Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Touring Power Monkey or unbranded chinese solar charger
  • antigee

off for a few days riding next month in the Aus’ sunny spring and personally I don’t like hanging around in campsite toilets to charge my phone:

PowerMonkey or cheap Chinese off ebay 1/3rd price and better spec?

Solar Panel: 1.5W
    Cell type: Li-polymer battery
    Capacity: 10000mAh
    Input: 5.0V DC
    Output: 5.0 V/1A 5.0 V/2A

scotroutes

That’ll be a better spec in the same way as cheap chinese lights have tiny little lumens. 😆

antigee

scotroutes – Member
    That’ll be a better spec in the same way as cheap chinese lights have tiny little lumens

fair point but even if you halve the numbers looks a better spec?

scotroutes

Agreed, but I’d like to see some decent reviews of it before I would buy one. I have a Power Monkey/Solar Monkey and I know it works.

antigee

I have a Power Monkey/Solar Monkey and I know it works.

exactly – hoping someone might say same about the cheapie ones

martymac

i have one of the ebay ones, it will charge my galaxy s4 up like 4 times.
    but it needs full sunlight to properly recharge.
    i reckon if its in the sun all day it could charge my phone up every day no problem.
    beware, the physical quality of construction is variable, i had to tighten up a couple of screws on mine.
    EDIT:i paid 20 quid for mine, and i reckon it was worth that.

parkesie
    Free Member

I got one of the ebay ones and used it in afghan over summer and it didnt blow up and worked a treat.branded portapow.

shermer75
    Free Member

Any chance of a link? I’d like to check it out…

parkesie
    Free Member

Item number

I got this one they do higher power ones now aswell.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Conversely, I’ve got a solar charger and power monkey and never managed to get a significant charge from it at all either direct or into the power monkey. The light flashes but it charges incredibly slowly even in full sun.

Depending on the phone and usage, if it’s only a few days then can you get by with something like this fully charged before you go and topped up when you stop? Less to loose if you leave it unattended while charging too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Slim-Portable-External-Micro-USB-USB-charged/dp/B00CTK762E

johnnystorm

Dynamo front wheel 🙂

antigee

this is what was looking at
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10000mah-Universal-Solar-Panel-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank-Mobile-Travel-Station-/190916412538?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item2c7381447a no duty or sales tax to Aus for this just over £20

gravity-slave part of my thinking was get the solar thingy for the touring and add in a spare battery like that as a back up plus useful for longer day rides all for less than a branded solar charger

dynamo wheel – yes but no beard/crocs – I’m sure it will come and agree far better for the environment

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Touring Power Monkey or unbranded chinese solar charger’ is closed to new replies.