Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • touring on a stooge ? luggage or frame swap?
  • cozz
    Free Member

Hey guys, currently got my lovely stooge set up with drops and slicks

I want to do a 3 day around 200 mile trip next year

I will prob be staying in B&B, so although I won’t need lots of bags I need some, don’t want anything on my back

trouble is its got no eyelets on forks, or frame, I’ve got 2 diff sizes of ortleb panniers I could use. I have considered buying a fargo frame and swapping everything over (on sale £600 ish)

or thought about getting a genesis vagabond complete bike (£1000 ish)

Im a bit old school, and all this bike packing stuff melts my brain. Those massive seat packs ?! I dunno, I’m too short , i reckon there isn’t enough distance from seat to tyre for em, and being a heavy lad, I don’t think its good to hang another few kg off the back of the seat post ?

anyone got a frame bag that fits stooge, its a bit weird with double top tube, maybe one of them plus a bar bag/roll ?

what would STW do ?
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/217sfLA]IMG_3363[/url] by corin tomlinson, on Flickr

joshvegas
    Free Member

Im a bit old school, and all this bike packing stuff melts my brain. Those massive seat packs ?! I dunno, I’m too short , i reckon there isn’t enough distance from seat to tyre for em, and being a heavy lad, I don’t think its good to hang another few kg off the back of the seat post ?

Oldschool you say? Ever heard of carradice?

Panniers are the young pretenders

trail_rat
    Free Member

i met a lad touring from vancouver to calgary this summer via whistler etc .

he was on a canfield bros nimble with knobblies and dropper with soft luggage.

anything is possible 😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

You’d get a normal front rack on that fork. That plus a seatpack would sort you out for a band b.

cozz
    Free Member

looks interesting, so it would just fasten onto QR skewer ?

I guess that on the back with my small ortleb panniers, along with a handlebar bag might do ?

maybe taking a spare skewer would be worthwhile ? its got hope ones on it

MrTricky
    Free Member

Revelate Tangle frame bag fits great and still allows you to use a water bottle.

Get some Surly Krampus forks (the ones with the anything cage mounts) for the front and you can use low rider panniers or cages on the forks.

Wildcat Designs make 2 sizes of seatpost mounted holster so you should find the smaller one fits.

Alpkit make nice bags called Stem Cells which work really well and are a good price.

Have a look at Bikepacking.com for more ideas

Have fun!

cozz
    Free Member

just seen a stooge with rear rack fitted on their website

I guess andy would know which model it is?

tjagain

Tubus make racks that will fit well without eyelets on the frame.

Pickers

If you’re used to panniers then how about something like this?
    A set of P Clips on the seat stays and you’re off.

cozz
    Free Member

i think that tubes one in 700c won’t clear the width of tyre maybe?

tjagain

How wide is the tyre? I’ll go measure my tubus racks

Edit: its about 3″ at the narrowest part – I forgot there was a narrower brace

TheBrick
    Free Member

3 days b&b should be easy with a small seat pack and a top tube “fuel cell” for snacks. You will only need a little more than for a day ride.

shermer75
    Free Member

As above either p clips or a rack that doesn’t need them, especially considering you like to ride the Stooge. If you’re B&Bing it you won’t need more than the panniers, unless you’re planning to do it in winter!! Even then you could prob get away with it.

cozz
    Free Member

I’m thinking one of these, I’ve got an old rack top carradice bag to go on it
    https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-race-tour-qr1-pannier-rack/aid:862773

and something like this
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-TourGuide-Handlebar-Bag-DX_24570.htm

should do me, maybe a stem cell too

postierich
    Free Member

Bit of over kill
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/U54kNM]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Nice bike!

Bar roll and alpkit joey up front. KTM Saddle Bag Tour XL at the other end.
    In between one of them long thin frame bags if you want to use the bottle cage, or send alpkit a cardboard cutout of the space if you want to fill it.

For the price of a frame, you could have a matching made to measure set from Alpkit or revelate or beerbabe

I’m not a tall person, here’s mine:

AlasdairMc

I did my Lejog with a Carradice Longflap Camper and it was ideal.

On my Stooge I use a Wildcat framebag, XL size – whatever their partial one is that is sold off the peg. Wildcat handlebar roll works perfectly but tape the fork as it’ll rub, and then your seatpack of choice. I’ve used a Revelate Viscacha and a Wildcat harness on mine, each is good for different things.

cozz
    Free Member

okay, I’ve been looking at bike packing stuff, I think I’m gonna go over to alpkit with the bike (its only about 15 mile away, and try stuff for size and get some advice on what would suit my requirements

thanks for the detailed replys guys,was a great help

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

hmmm. hadn’t considered stooge as touring bike…off-road bike packing yes, but not as a more traditional tourer, so interested to hear how well it goes with drops and slicks?

scud
    Free Member

Good thing about Stooge is the double top tube and large standover, you can fit full frame bag in centre of triangle and you can happily put a water bottle on top of the top tube as it is little wider than the top tube itself.

Plus you don’t need lots of mounts, i mounted a 1.5 litre supermarket bottle of water on a mount using electrical tape, it’s ideal as it didn’t move at all and the tape doesn’t mark frame and comes off with little residue.

[/url]Untitled by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]Untitled by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

dovebiker

Definitely need to check saddle / tyre clearances for seatpacks – I bought the small Apidura one but it still slips down and rubs the tyre over time, so needs regular adjusting. If you already have a rack, simply strap a 20L drybag on top? I have Alpkit custom framebags on both bikes – very well made/better than Revelate

scud
    Free Member

Did notice this last night, which i think would be good if you’re worried about rear tyre clearance…

Introducing the Porcelain Rocket Mr. Fusion Mini

whitestone
    Free Member

My wife is fairly short and uses an Arkel Randonneur seatpost mounted rack on her fat bike rather than a seatpack/harness as there’s very little clearance for it.

otsdr
    Free Member

I don’t think that sweet EC70 carbon seatpost takes a rack ;).

whitestone
    Free Member

The Randonneur actually clamps to the saddle rails with a metal fitting but has a plastic collar that clips onto the top of the seatpost so it’s not a beam hanging off the post.

jonestown
    Free Member

Cozz, the Stooge works great as a touring bike and fitting a rack isn’t a problem. Blackburn do an axle mounted one that comes with a longer skewer, you then need a 31.8 seatclamp with the mounting eyelets on, you’ll get one pretty much anywhere. Its rock solid like that and you can run regular pannier bags. That’s the set up on my website.

Wildcat also have the template for the front triangle so could make you a full frame bag. Alpkit also do custom bags.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘touring on a stooge ? luggage or frame swap?’ is closed to new replies.