Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • Touring bikes, show me yours.
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Any pics of your tourer? And any kit and set up recommendations.

allyharp

Not strictly a tourer, but it’s what I use for touring:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/wXkAYG]Untitled[/url] by Alistair Harper, on Flickr

That was it set up for 8 nights of camping in Norway, but I’ll be carrying just the 2 rear panniers on a 5 night trip in Scotland next week. With only weight on the rear it can get a bit wobbly up front so it actually rides better with something on the bars too.

And this is the front:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/wY6caz]Untitled[/url] by Alistair Harper, on Flickr
    Alpkit Kanga with a 13l Airlok extra – which leaves just enough room between my bars as long as you get 5 rolls on the closure. And provides a handy space to clip cameras and glasses to.

Not visible is the huge (by road standards) 10-36 cassette, which combined with the 34/50 chainrings allows you to sit back and cruise up the hills.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

allyharp, thats perfect! Thats the frame I’m building up at the moment. I’ve a couple of Ortlieb front rollers and an old Ortlieb bar bag, I’m trying to decide what I need to do for a 4 day trip (in Scotland). Bar bag is a bit problematic, its for 26.0 bars and I’ve a 31.8 stem, I’m either looking for a new bar attachment or shimming down to smaller bars. I think Ortlieb have changed their mountings for the bar bag.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Looks a bit sad really, currently getting some (a lot of) TLC in the shed.

Old Skool luggage, 2x25l rear panniers, 2x20l front. Once moved house on it, still took several trips!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/xbrbSH]20150816_171434[/url] by thisisnotaspoon, on Flickr

YoKaiser
    Free Member

what tlc do you have planned, tis a lovely old bike.

scotroutes

They have, but Lyon Equipment should be able to get you spares fro the old ones.

I agree that some weight over the front is a good idea. In fact, I’m rather taken by the more continental approach of using front panniers – even without rears.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/cx2Ta1]P1040480[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oE3PEk]P1010510[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ton

old one.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/us32jf]cidImage_FOT38B5.JPG[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

new one

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DicYGT]cidImage_FOTBDCA.JPG[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Thats one of the things I’m trying to decide, I reckon all I’ll need is the panniers. Maybe a lowrider set up and a seatpack for tools will suffice. I’m not building a tourer exactly more a burly road bikem but want to use it for this trip.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

what tlc do you have planned, tis a lovely old bike.

I think the mudguards are being kept, apart from that……….

Pretty much everything was worn out, falling off, or past it’s best, so new wheels, tyres, cranks, BB, chain, cassette, canti brakes, headset, cables, saddle (shame as it was lovely, but it really has had it now). Original bits remaining, frame, forks stem, post, bars and brake levers.

donald
    Free Member

A Kona Sutra outside a pub.

Smaller granny ring fitted. Rear Panniers and bar bag is all that’s needed unless you’re camping.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

On route and on way back to airport. I frickin’ love touring!!

kcal

I did a reasonable ‘tour’ a couple of years ago, with front panniers only (and some frame bagging). Working quite well and was quite stable. Would happily do it again. Not sure if can find pics.

It didn’t work so well on narrow, rutted off road sections though 🙁

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

Recently bought a kona rove al for my replacement tourer.

Going for the 4 pannier approach for touring (pic taken when commuting)

TheBrick
    Free Member

Old mtb. Guards, and rack added. Heavy load but this is pretty much kit for two with comfy camping, including food for the next 24h. Goes like stem train downhill.

scruff9252

This is mine;

On One Pompetamine
    Spa Nidd Saddle
    Carradice saddlebag (not shown)
    SKS chronoplastics (set up here for usual 32mm tyres but changed for 23’s on for quick ride last weekend.)
    XT Dynohub with 36 spoke wheels with B&M front & rear lights
    3X9 gearing with 24/39/53 upfront and 12-32 at the back.
    Got front and rear panniers for upcoming summer tour

super comfortable for all day cruising.

***sod it, can’t seem to link to photo***

steezysix
    Free Member

Norco Indie Drop for light touring mainly, either front panniers or bikepacking setup. Never going back to rear panniers!

Also got a Specialized AWOL but no decent pictures, same setup though!

bomberpork
    Free Member

On One Inbred 26
    old man mountain front rack
    tubus rear
    ortlieb (over rated)

ton

talking of touring, what are everyone’s plans for this year. me and the wife are away to Brittany for 2 weeks in may. St Malo and along to northcoast to Morlaix, then back via the lumpy center.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Skye next week camping.

Trans sierra nevada trail from malaga airport in october – but thatll be bikepacking with minimal gear.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Fort William(ish) to Torridon and back via the coast and Skye. Over the Bealach too.

donald
    Free Member

Across France from Basel to the Atlantic on EuroVelo 6.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

What lowrider rack are you using steezy?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

None yet, waiting to see how the job situation pans out. Really want to get a few long weekends in regardless.

either front panniers or bikepacking setup. Never going back to rear panniers!

Out of interest, why? I always load up the rear’s then enough in the fronts to prevent wheelies as my rears are quite a way back.

Having said that, after doing a bit of bikepacking I reckon I’d struggle to fill a 25l pannier. OTOH panniers do feel like the right tools for the job, even if they are only half filled.

On a related note, could anyone recommend some good looking racks? The topeak is functionally perfect, but really ugly! This (Bobbin) rack is nice, but only rated for 25kg (which may well be enough actually, but it doesn’t bode well for stiffness). Also needs to be cheap, so no £90 tubus jobs! Want/need matching front and rears too. Front preferably mounting to the mid-fork mounts , but with a platform over the top to take a bar bag for commuting. Needs to look good because the bike looks a bit bare without them. (fussy, moi?)

scotroutes

When the panniers are on, you can’t really see the rack. Aesthetics?? Bah!

ton

topeak dx for discs. perfect rack for the cash.
    aesthetics……….lol

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yea, but the bike looks a bit odd without them, and the DX is a bit agricultural.

ton

the dx works…end of.

RustySpanner

Three weeks and waiting.

Got a week in Brittany funnily enough – just outside Roscoff in August.

Week in Wensleydale in November and either Lakes & Dales or Lancashire cycleway at the beginning of June.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

My Vaya.

As for where I’m going? Not sure yet, see how busy work is this year.
    But really fancy getting the Bike Express somewhere warm, and then having a couple of weeks riding around..

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Have a look at hollandbikeshop.com for period looking racks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Touring bikes without mudguards = WRONG.

simmy
    Free Member

Pinnacle Litium 3.

I prefer the straight bars rather than the drops on a long distance bike. It’s got SKS full guards and a Topeak DX super tourist rear rack. Using Altura Arran panniers.

I’ve not toured on it yet but I’ve commuted on it. The panniers easily carry all my Bikeability stuff. In the pic I’m at Shap summit just with 1 pannier, hit 37 mph on the descent and felt really stable.

I’d like to think a second pannier wouldn’t upset the balance.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Touring bikes without mudguards = WRONG.

Only took them off today..
    You know, just as the rain started.. 🙄

But here you go Flashy.

Avec guards.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Avec guards.

Good recovery.

Pickers

Barra Beach by Richard Picton, on Flickr

marvincooper

Used my Tripster ATR for a tour last year with rear panniers, would like to add fronts but the forks don’t take a rack. Anyone know of a tapered disc fork that does?

scotroutes

It doesn’t have to be tapered. You could fit a straight-steerer fork and a suitable adapter/crown (e.g. the Hope one)

marvincooper

Hmm yes but then swapping back to the original fork would be a pain. Only a thought, to be honest if I was going to carry more stuff I’d probably use my old MTB instead.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Touring bikes, show me yours.’ is closed to new replies.