Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • touring bike – any suggestions?
  • jools182
    Free Member

My cousin is talking about a biking holiday in Europe through Holland and Belgium

I have no clue about road bikes, but I’m thinking a touring frame gives a more upright riding position and is more comfortable than a regular road bike

Any suggestions what i should be looking for?

Spin
    Free Member

If you’ve got an old MTB frame then you can make a good tourer out of that especially if you will be fully loaded. Not so great if you are going light though.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

a proper touring bike will have a more upright position and be more comfortable (but not as fast) than a road bike. It’ll also have a lower bottom bracket for stability and the frame geometry will also compensate for rear mounted racks/panniers so they don’t catch your heels.
    In addition there’ll also be plenty of bosses for mounting bottle cages/front and rear racks/mudguards etc.

I bought one a while back – Kona Sutra – and I love it. Use it every day for commuting, been on a 3 day tour round scotland, couple of century plus rides and a fair bit of off-roading (forestry trails and the odd bit off singletrack and will be doing more now I’ve got some off road tyres for it.

IMO – Old MTB frames are OK for short touring, but some(not all) have the bottom bracket a lot higher than a tourer making the bike unstable at speed when fully loaded.Add to that the possibility that the chainstays will be shorter and could possibly mean you catch your heels on your panniers I’d drop the wedge and get a tourer.

Have a look at – Kona Sutra, Salsa Fargo, Surly LHT, Dawes Galaxy

Spin
    Free Member

Old MTB frames are OK for short touring, but some(not all) have the bottom bracket a lot higher than a tourer making the bike unstable at speed when fully loaded.Add to that the possibility that the chainstays will be shorter and could possibly mean you catch your heels on your panniers I’d drop the wedge and get a tourer.

As long as your heels clear the panniers none of the above is an issue. Last year I did 4 weeks on my old mtb fitted with drops and it was perfect didn’t feel like a compromise at all. My own feeling is that a ‘proper tourer’ aint worth the extra cash for occasional loaded touring if you’ve got an old frame with rack mounts kicking about. For fast ‘creditcard’ tours something lighter would be better.

wors

i bought a kona dew drop, i reckon it’d be ace as a tourer, using for commuting at the moment with rack and panniers it’s great. I got it for 465 from crc a few weeks ago.

ton

surly lht here………..my second.

i agree with stan…………why compromise
    if you are doing mainly road based touring, get a proper touring bike.
    and a surly lht will also take a 47 tyre which will allow you take offroad forays.

touring is the best form of cycling by far………… 8)

grim168
    Free Member

I have a hewitt cheviot and love it. Bought for my 40th and lejog. fitting service was great.

Basil

Dawes Karakum £600 new.Any good? Thinking of one for myself and one for my wife.

plumber
    Free Member

my kona sutra is up for sale if you fancy it

2005 disc

druidh
    Free Member

plumber- what size is your Sutra? I know someone who may be interested….

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

just know that a dedicated tourer will feel ace fully loaded but fairly wooden when not. a good, light tourer or Audax will be fine, all of the above would work. also, what about a Tricross?

samuri
    Free Member

My kaffenback is ace for touring on.

zookman
    Free Member

I’ve just returned from cycling half way round the world on a Thorn Sherpa. Very comfortable for long days riding and handles really well when fully loaded.

dst
    Free Member

Plumber, I may also be interested in the Sutra for a charity Lejog if size is right.

bilboburgler
    Free Member

This might be a useful link once you get there MyBikeGuide

cupra
    Free Member

I’m selling a kona dew drop if you’re interested

rickmeister

Koga Miyata Signature, 800 miles old, 11 spd Alfine for sale here..

Sancho
    Free Member

Just done a Salsa Fargo for a customer and Its ace! he has ordered it for touring and I would expect it will be an awesome tourer

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You don’t need owt flashy for touring. In fact I reckon the opposite is better. Cheap. Solid. Strong.
    Pesonally I prefer a rigid MTB with proper MTB gearing, discs, slicks, rack, ‘guards etc. But then we camp and I tow the trailer up the bloody hills and have to stop it, and me, on the way back down them!#

274 miles coast to coast, and a bit more this year:

IMG_1586 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

plumber
    Free Member

Not looked at this thread for a while but for those who might still be interested

My sutra fits me fine at 5’11”

It doesn’t seem to have a size on the frame but is similar to my 56 road bike

Plum

Fiets
    Free Member

My cousin is talking about a biking holiday in Europe through Holland and Belgium

It’s a bit off-topic but as you’re talking about the Netherlands and Belgium and if you’re not into tents, then ‘Vrienden op de Fiets’ is worth some consideration for your overnightings (and breakfasts). About 4000 families in both countries allow you to stay in their house where you get your own room with bed and sheets. Pricing is extremely reasonable, 19 euro pp/pn. If intrigued > Vrienden op de Fiets

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘touring bike – any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.