Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 156 total)
  • Tour of Sufferlandria 2015 – up for it?
  • djflexure

Playing catch up. Just completed Saturdays session before deadline this morning. Wondering whether to do Blender now or this evening.

djflexure

Blender tick
    Last 4 mins was a bit unpleasant

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nice work, that’s quite a day’s training!

frogstomp

Couldn’t get it done yesterday so have just done Blender.. there goes my day in hand! Just means I’ll be doing the final stage Sunday evening when I get back from the Circus Of Dirt..

Anyone else shout “bastards!” when they stopped the clock with 24 seconds to go!? 👿

djflexure

Nice work, that’s quite a day’s training!

Cheers, tried to think of it as going out for a big ride – albeit in the garage.

Anyone else shout “bastards!” when they stopped the clock with 24 seconds to go!?

I could see how long was really left so the clock stop didn’t bother me. That said was still shouting all manner of things down the street as I pedalled away through the final interval with the garage door up for a bit of a breeze. Wonder if I get some funny looks tomorrow?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Fight Club done now as well. Still at 100% FTP but it was grim at the end!

I thought it was another video which I didn’t own so was surprised to find it in my library, I briefly wondered why I didn’t do this workout more often but the constant attacks refreshed my memory…

I need to build a buffer for stage 8, I want to be able to have a rest day before doing the 3 videos back to back.

longmover
    Free Member

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!!! I feel like my legs are going to fall off now! I think I have woken ou the whole street with the groaning and a trainer that sounds like a jet fighter.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

OOh that was tough!

Fight club for breakfast.

And a huge thanks to TR helpdesk for sorting out my “lost in sync” training data, wouldn’t have wanted to repeat that session!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Wow, over 750 riders have been dropped from the peloton already!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Wow, over 750 riders have been dropped from the peloton already!

Including me as it happens. I got half way through Blender and thought screw this, I’m going climbing instead. No commitment me! I’m going to do a few more of the days just because they’re a target.

mrblobby
    Free Member

for a total of around 12.5 hours of training and a TSS of just over a 1000!

I think the reality of doing this ^^^ on a turbo kicks in pretty quickly. Attrition much the same the past couple of years.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Yeah its hard, first time attempting here. I have Thursday as a goal to get to then we’ll see.

It helps that the weather over here is so so bad that nothing outside seems particularly better than nailing myself on the rollers.

How people do it in places where its summer is beyond me 😯

andrw13
    Free Member

Trainer road was hanging for me whilst doing Blender. The timer would stop for about a minute each time with stats frozen too. This happened about 10 times. Anyone else ever had this? It was really irritating and I don’t want a repeat doing fight club tonight.

djflexure

Just in from work and off to the garage for Fight Club
    See you in an hour

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Just finished 9 Hammers, the workout itself was ok (for a given value of ok obviously!) but I was really struggling to hold a cadence. I was constantly drifting down so ended up accelerating way past the target output and then “managing” the decline back down to where I was supposed to be.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Just done Fight Club. Not too tough a workout on its own but really quite tough tonight. After the second raised section I was tempted to give up, but felt a bit better by the end. Definitely heavy legs though. Should be able to last till the weekend but Saturday and Sunday will be brutal.

djflexure

Fight club – felt confident going in, but really hard by the end. At least its done. Can’t wait till tomorrow.

mattjg
    Free Member

You lot are **nutters.

** due to injury I’m off the (moving) bike at the mo so will be doing my first turbo sufferfest shortly. So I guess that’s me too.

mattjg
    Free Member

downloaded 9 Hammers and had a flick through to see what it was like, I’m a bit scared now! Stage 8 is giving me nightmares already!

CALM DOWN IT’S NOT REAL!

frogstomp

Fight Club done and dusted! TT sections – bad, climbing sections – slightly less bad!

For intensity jumps (say, 2/10 to 7/10) on the turbo are people shifting gears or adjusting resistance (or both?). Some of the short sprint intervals are a bit tricky to keep up with..

mtbtomo
    Free Member

If you’re doing it on Trainerroad with virtual power, you can’t adjust the resistance during a work out – you have to set the resistance level and which model of turbo in the settings.

Gears shift quick enough to change the intensity in about a second or two, so I wouldn’t be too worried.

Fight Club was horrible. I seriously considered giving up twice. Its tough enough without having done two days beforehand!

frogstomp

Cheers, no TrainerRoad here.. just me against the videos!

mattjg
    Free Member

what does Trainerroad do? I took a look but it’s not clear. is it kind of Garmin/Strava for static training?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

what does Trainerroad do?

Its creates a virtual power curve based on your trainer and wheelsize and then uses your FTP to provide you with power targets to hit.

So instead of frogstomp saying 2/10 then 9/10, you get an actual figure like 156 and 424 watts.

Your bike sends live data to your laptop/device and you get your current power and your target power shown to you. So no easing off.

You also get a library of 500 odd training sessions, training plans to follow, and the ability to create your own custom sessions.

mattjg
    Free Member

Thx, I kinda get it, some roadie terminology in there I think, I’ll twig when I try it.

djflexure

How we doing?
    Just downloading the vid for a bit of extra encouragement. Think I’ll need it tonight. Sore legs before I start.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nine Hammers just completed, actually not too bad all things considered.

Great on-board film footage.

frogstomp

Yup, Nine Hammers… err, hammered! Once I’d got used to the choppy nature of the intervals I kind of almost nearly enjoyed it! 😕

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Well that’s Angels done, the final sprint had me, just managed to hit the target then cracked on the 3, 2, 1 countdown to the warm down. I was surprised how much harder the rest periods were in tonight’s video compared to the last couple of videos though.

Local Hero tomorrow which I’ve never done before – luckily it’s a day off so I can do it whenever I feel like it and not as soon as I walk through the door from work.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Angels is hard, the newer version is easier slightly though, IMO.

Local Hero is hard too. hmmmm

djflexure

Nine Hammers – tick
    Finished stomping with a bit left in the tank which was nice for a change.
    Looking forward to Angels, its the one I do the most. Just got the new version so I’ll slip it in if its a bit easier.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Angels is always tough although I think I should manage it tonight. I used to do Angels and A Very Dark Place over and over when I first found Sufferfest vids.

Not looking forward to Local Hero tomorrow though, 1:26 🙁

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Are people doing this to virtual power in trainerroad?

I am and I feel absolutely battered already.

Everyday I get closer to bailing out.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Yep doing it to virtual power, managing to stay at 100% of FTP so far but I can’t see that lasting much longer.

It seems to be getting harder to sustain a steady output so I’m hoping that Local Hero’s sprints should be a nice change. I doubt it though!

djflexure

Got a Kickr for Christmas which has been great. Just dial in the prescription and take your medicine.
    100% FTP here too but after a couple of years off thats only 240.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

i bailed last night, really struggled to reach my FTP in the end, along with my commute i’m not ashamed to say it broke me!

Good to anyone still in there – i cant imagine how Saturday will feel!

SkillWill
    Free Member

Yes, doing it to virtual power in Trainerroad.

longmover
    Free Member

Niane hammers broke me yesterday, I’m out. I think I will actually go for a ride outside at the weekend.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Still on track at TR virtual power, Nine Hammers was a little easier than expected, but still hard.

Angles should be doable, but damn hard.

Local Hero, well we’ll see what happens Thursday.

edit: luckily the weather is so poor over here that riding outside isn’t really an option.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Left the heating on in the bike room so was down to bibs and HRM after 2 minutes – not a great look!

Found the first part of Local Hero fairly hard, again that was down to holding a pace but once the shorter, harder efforts kicked in I was fairly happy, felt like I could easily have done several more intervals. (But didn’t, I’m not an idiot.)

Not sure if I’m getting a 2nd wind or whether I’m better off doing afternoon training but I’m a bit more confident about the 3 video stage now.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Tour of Sufferlandria 2015 – up for it?’ is closed to new replies.