Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tour of Flanders – watching not riding
  • slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I’m sure this has been done but couldn’t find through a search.

Me and a mate are taking my camper across to Flanders to watch this year. Any advice on best places to camp and watch? I’ve read that Oudenaarde itself can be manic on both days of the weekend with the sportive on the Saturday. Might be better to stay Waregem way and get a train in for the day.

Who’s been and any recommendations other than the obvious as to what to do (will be there Saturday morning to Monday)

dknwhy

I’m interested in this… Toying with the idea of riding from Calais to watch some of the race.

alanf
    Free Member

I did it with some mates last year.
    Sportive Saturday and race Sunday.
    we stayed in Gent and got the train to Oodenarde for the race. There are free buses to take you to the climbs. Just be aware though that if you take this option, there are another x thousand people trying to get on the buses back to Oodenarde after the race has gone though for the final time. We had to wait an age to get on one.
    It’s an ace atmosphere though and the locals like a drop or two – there were plenty of hammered people at 10am!

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

The rush for trains busses etc did cross my mind as an issue. Just want somewhere we can camp with a hookup and can get to see a good bit of the racing. 10 am drinking isn’t something I’m not familiar with having following Newcastle United home and away..

JoB
    Free Member

if you’re staying put the best place to camp would be near the Oude Kwaremont, the race goes up there three times so you get to see the the suffering a few times instead of just the once, and there are big screen TVs in the village square and in a field above the village so you can watch the rest of the race, there are also food and beer stands dotted around

it’s where a lot of people congregate to watch and get quite pissed so the atmosphere is pretty good

hofnar
    Free Member

would say near oude kwaremont too http://campingpanorama.be/en/ campsite only a handfull k’s from oude kwaremont there must be others nearby or have a look near Ronse

leffeboy

It’s good to watch it at one of the organised spots such as Oude Kwaremont as then there is a great atmosphere, lots of beer and frites and big screens for when the race is elsewhere. Check out the route online to work out where it passes most often. If you can ride in then you’ll save the bus hassle but it’s not really a problem if you are quick off the mark once the race is fine

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Another vote for Oude Kwaremont. Was there last year, not too far from the village square. Bike racing, great atmosphere, lots of beer and sausages, what more could you want?

tthew

Couple of years ago the work trip went to Camping Panorama. They spoke very highly of it, (I didn’t go that year)

Very late one night, and not in the best state of repair a couple of them got lost on their bikes on the way back there. Culminated in a very pished, old scots bloke knocking on peoples doors shouting “Where’s Panorama? PAN-O-F***IN’-RAMA!” 😆

We stopped somewhere else the following year.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Thanks all. Really helpful. Now, what beers?

leffeboy

Thanks all. Really helpful. Now, what beers?

Silly boy, what else…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tour of Flanders – watching not riding’ is closed to new replies.