Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)
  • – Tour Divide'rs – How's the training going?
  • jekkyl

June 10th is just 2 months away now, how’s it all going?

What training are you doing?
    Are you still working out what to pack and how to pack it?
    What are you most looking forward to?
    What issues are giving you the most anxieties?

I’m just generally interested in the whole experience.
    Who’s entered? I know from previous threads that at least 3 regs off here are in. Gregmay, Robcoliver and Terrahawk with Mr Martin. Was there talk of Pipps and mini pipps doing it, I think. Anyone else?

NewRetroTom

I’ve been riding quite a bit. Just back from a 3 day ride from the Isle of Mull to Edinburgh.
    Pretty settled on what I’m taking with me now. Just minor changes.
    Looking forward to the solitude, the mountains, the people and getting to know myself and my body better.
    Still a wee bit worried about wildlife (bears, cougars etc. but suspect they will leave me alone).

robcolliver
    Free Member

Mine is going well; had a great mix of TT and snowbike through the winter in Fernie and am just setting the race bike up for a ride to the peak district and a long weekends riding with http://www.southdownsmtb.co.uk/ then a jaunt around Wales next weekend.

Heading out to Canada on 19th May to get a spot of climbing done and to do last minute tinkering. Kit is pretty much nailed and really looking forward to not having snow diverts as in 2011. It could be bad for fires this time as the snowpack is melting fast.

The GPS, lighting and charging system is all working (no cache battery, no phone and no mp3 for this race) and plotting 130 miles a day…..

roach

The GPS, lighting and charging system is all working (no cache battery, no phone and no mp3 for this race) and plotting 130 miles a day…..

😯

jekkyl

how come no music? a lil ipod wouldn’t take much to charge. I’d go bananas without tunes to keep me going. How do you stop from going insane?

andyg1966

How do you stop from going insane?

Its too late for Rob!

allthepies
    Free Member

He wants to hear the bears/mountain lions running after him 🙂

johnnystorm

So far so good. Mainly turbo torture for me living in Suffolk. Not sure I’ll be taking much more kit than a normal weekend away, after all I’m not going to take 3 weeks worth of spare clothes in any case.

asbrooks

He wants to hear the bears/mountain lions running after him

Good call!
    Bear chases snowboarder

postierich
    Free Member

Terrahawk is not doing it now!

jameso

no phone

Why no phone Rob? Just interested. Big fan of the simple GDR-style approach but not having a phone at all could be a problem if there’s diversions?

molgrips
    Free Member

The GPS, lighting and charging system is all working

Dynamo?

Why no phone Rob?

I’d be surprised if you can get signal for 5% of that route!

jekkyl

yeah I thought that, but surely it’s better to have one and not need it than not at all.

molgrips
    Free Member

Spot tracker though innit, for emergencies. At least then you can’t phone someone and ask for a lift home when it gets cold.

richpips
    Free Member

We’re fit being doing plenty on the bike plus some running and big walks.

June is looking unlikely for us now, more likely we’ll set off in August.

GregMay
    Free Member

Training going fine. Not much else to report.

Except a new bike 🙂

DavidB
    Free Member

I’m starting my training for 2017 now the work/wife pass is sorted.

robcolliver
    Free Member

I don’t even have a phone in the UK, so bothering with one during a race seems dumb…when you see half the world wasting their lives on one and never looking around, why would you want one.
    Yes I understand about being updated re diversions, but notices do get posted at mercs and other stops, so I will hear of them.

Spot (Rob dodging bears) will be active so there is a enough safety, and I have a bear whistle!

All powered by a dynamo and loads of cookies and ice cream.

The last time I took music on a race, the player jammed on one song after 24 hours of getting rained on. I’ll never listen to Tiny Dancer again.

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ll never listen to Tiny Dancer again.

You realise I’ll make sure Crazy Larry plays that at the start now right?

molgrips
    Free Member

Except a new bike

What bike? The bike is about as far as I have got in my effort.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

My son and I are doing it too, we can’t make the grand depart as he has exams, we’re flying on june the 24th

We’ve been doing as much extra riding as we can fit in. My bike is finally finished, his just needs a couple of bits. All of our gear is sorted, except for a warm jacket for me, I feel the cold more than Tom does!!

If anyone is interested in helping us raise some money for a good cause: https://www.justgiving.com/jim-tom-tour-divide

Travers Rusty by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

jameso

Rob, fair enough. Wondered if there was more reliance on or expectation of riders having phones now but if not, that’s good.

sweaman2
    Free Member

What’s a bear whistle? I spend a fair amount of time in bear country and I’ve never heard of it.

Whistling not recommend in general

allthepies
    Free Member

Anything you ask it to.

GregMay
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Except a new bike
    What bike? The bike is about as far as I have got in my effort.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GcKEQ9]IMG_3832.jpg[/url] by Greg.May, on Flickr

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s that tdr specific bike they made…

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Nice

GregMay
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    That’s that tdr specific bike they made…

Indeed it is. Replacing my Ti Fargo.

faustus

Veeery nice! I like a good cutthroat.

I’m making my own cheapo version using a drop-barred scandal 29er (alright, not quite the same).

My training for watching the TDR on the internet is going well…

molgrips
    Free Member

You’re going to have to put in a good ride now or else risk looking like an ATGNI…

El Mar was my choice.

adsh
    Free Member

So what’s the secret to managing repeated long days on a rigid front? Upright position and loop style bars etc?

Does anyone use front suspension? I’ve got an arthritic wrist and rigid’s not really possible.

GregMay
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    You’re going to have to put in a good ride now or else risk looking like an ATGNI…

I do have ideas…silly ideas.

We’ll see, if everything goes as I hope it’ll not be a slow run.

GregMay
    Free Member

adsh – Member
    So what’s the secret to managing repeated long days on a rigid front? Upright position and loop style bars etc?

Does anyone use front suspension? I’ve got an arthritic wrist and rigid’s not really possible.

Well, riding ridgid for the two years before on nearly every sort of terrain and around Hebden and the Lakes has helped a lot. But really, it’s a combination of getting stronger – and getting better technique wise to let the body absorb the terrain.
    But on the TD – it’s more about being robust than anything, and cutting out the micro vibrations – hence the very compliant fork + big front tyre on a wide ish rim (30mm) + double wrap bar tape + twatty drop bars and aero bars. Multiple, soft, hand placements.

Personally, suspension is a no go- A)Heavier B)will need maintenance C)Most of the route doesn’t demand it.

GregMay
    Free Member

faustus – Member
    My training for watching the TDR on the internet is going well…

May I suggest beer. It helps.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you need it, ride it. Doesn’t matter what everyone else is using, does it?

There’s no one method for this stuff. The ONLY way to get your kit right is to try it out for yourself. Do lots of long tours with similar constraints, on similar terrain (if possible), and see what happens.

EDIT

Just checked Greg on Strava. I withdraw the ATGNI comment.

GregMay
    Free Member

Just checked Greg on Strava. I withdraw the ATGNI comment.

No issues 🙂

I’m still building up too…

fasthaggis

Greg
    Would be good to see your bike in full TD mode.
    How did you decide which bars you liked(worked best),did you try many sets before settling on the combo you have on the Salsa?

GregMay
    Free Member

fasthaggis – Member
    Greg
    Would be good to see your bike in full TD mode.

Give it a few days – embargo’d on something at the moment 😉

How did you decide which bars you liked(worked best),did you try many sets before settling on the combo you have on the Salsa?

That is a story in itself. I’ve used on the Fargo – Woodchippers, Cowchippers, Jones Loops, and the current Luxy bars (strokes bars) – the aero bars have been through three iterations.

Simply, trial and error – but each set of bars being ridden for a minimum of 500km as a setup before making any choices – Its also slightly tweaked for the bags that go with it as I like to run a reasonable sized front bag. But that can be awkward with the twatty bars.

EDIT – geom on the CT is very close – but not quite Fargo, I’ve made a minor adjustment to the front end, like 1 degree change in bar angle or something as the head angle is steeper than my Fargo setup (non standard forks).

I’ll write something up and link it – along with a nearly final kit list – which hasn’t really changed in a year, just been refined.

molgrips
    Free Member

WTH are luxy strokes bars?

GregMay
    Free Member

ERm…I refer to them as “the precious” it was me pretending to stroke said bars.

Luxys are somewhat hard to find these days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘– Tour Divide'rs – How's the training going?’ is closed to new replies.