Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 290 total)
  • Tour Divide 2013
  • scotroutes

He did get some national press coverage when he’d finished his round-the-world trip.

I’m currently more impressed/inspired by/in awe of this 🙂

http://blog.endomondo.com/2012/11/07/annette-fredskov-366-marathons-in-365-days/

scotroutes

14 days 11hrs 55 mins. Anyone fancy taking it on 😉

Fabulous ride from Mike. Who knows how much more he’d have been capable of if Craig had been pushing him and there weren’t the diversions!!

fasthaggis

Incredible ride,well done that man. I have really enjoyed following this online, awesome stuff 🙂

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

14:11:55

Wow. Just letting that sink in a little bit. That is an UNBELEIVABLE time. Who the hell is going to beat that ?

Think I’d just about be at the Canadian border by now 🙂

Any news of James O ?

bol

I was wondering what to do with that fortnight’s leave I’ve got in August. Sorted.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Think I’d just about be at the Canadian border by now

so might I but the wrong border having read the map wrong……

C

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Cracking time,

Really enjoyed following it.

greenmug
    Free Member

The miliage is 4.2% longer than the true route. Although you can’t compare if the diversion was harder/easier. That works out at an equivalent of roughly 14:3:30

I expect there are many riders greatful that the max time allowed for future races hasn’t been dramatically reduced.

Praise too for Jesse Carlsson who is currently racing the current record and is a rookie.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Epic riding from Mike. I’ve just been reading some bike tourist blogs and there are still racers as far north as Kremmling in Colorado, and near the Togowatee Pass in Wyoming.

I still fancy a tour along the route and think maybe south to north might be the way to go given the headwinds reported by the south bounders.

soobalias
    Free Member

truly amazing.

allthepies
    Free Member

I hope someone had a cold beer waiting for him at the end!

roryhitchens
    Free Member

Yep…there was cold beer for Mike. Lisa from Pivot has been an avid follower of this race for some years and has come up trumps with some finish support. She drove the 6hrs from Phoenix and passed Mike on the road about 2hrs from his finish time. I know she had a cooler with all sorts of goodies and a cold beer or two. Mike hae told be before leaving that once you finish you normally have another day to pedal back to civilisation. …so a finish meeting was planned for him. He now gets some R&R and to visit the Pivot guys befor flying home next week. Then he launches straight into organising the Trans Continental race which kicks off in a month from London to Istanbul!

allthepies
    Free Member

Ta for that Rory.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

He now gets some R&R and to visit the Pivot guys befor flying home next week. Then he launches straight into organising the Trans Continental race which kicks off in a month from London to Istanbul!

Of course 😯 I’m calling for a stewards inquiry, to prove that Mike is in fact 100% human. Are we completely sure he’s not a bio-mechanoid like Bishop from Aliens ? 😆

Anyway, from Mikes Twitter feed, the ‘podium’ shot.

matt_outandabout

Awesome. Properly Awesome. With a capital.

motherradar
    Free Member

Is it going to be a photo finish for 3rd/4th/5th? The three amigos are hammering down to AW (I think Alex has turned off his tracker!)GO JAMES, GO!!

Shergie
    Free Member

An awesome result from one of the nicest guys in cycling, properly chuffed!

flanagaj
    Free Member

James Olsen is just about to finish the TD in 3rd place and in 16 days. That is awesome. A big well done to him!

Edric64
    Free Member

Is it really that close 3 guys within sight of each other with about 7 miles to go ?

Edric64
    Free Member

James caught on the line !!finished 4th

Chew
    Free Member

Is that the actual result or just from the SPOT’s?

SPOT’s can be a bit out due to the way they update and because they were so close together it may be hard to ell. I’m sure James will tell us all about it later.

Chapeau guys 8)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Good grief, a sprint for 3 & 4 places after 2750 miles. 😯

Fantastic effort guys!

busydog
    Free Member

Yeah, to be that close after 2700+ miles is really amazing. Some class, powerfull riding by all the first 5 finisher—most especially Mike Hall. Going to be a tough record to crack, but suppose someone will at some point.
    All in all, makes my 22 mile ride on Sunday seem pretty lackluster 😆

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Wow. Top result from James, well done that man.

Hell, I’d be over the moon with 4th place ! Look forward to his write up, after a brief rest of course.

I’m sure motherradar will be sleeping a bit better now as well 😀

Blackhound

Brilliant rides from Mike and James O to be first and fourth. Mike’s pie order at Pie Town was triple berry and strawberry key lime.

Pictures of the riders on here including Mike & James towards the bottom:

Brush Mountain Lodge

Kunstler

Going to be a tough record to crack, but suppose someone will at some point.

My money would be on Mike Hall.

I’ve loved following this. Fantastic and inspiring.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Fantastic!
    Superb event, well done to all, especially Mike and James.

fasthaggis

Good grief, a sprint for 3 & 4 places after 2750 miles

That is proper nuts ,but if you looked over your shoulder ,you would ,wouldn’t you 🙂

busydog
    Free Member

Those first 5 riders who finished had good timing weather-wise. In the last couple days, the mountain summer thunderstorms are cranking up, with heavy rains, hail and a lot of lightning and storm winds to contend with all across S. Colorado and New Mexico. Looks like it will be about every afternoon & evening for the next week or so.
    Great news for the firefighters (except for the new fires the lightning will fire up0 , but not so good for the riders still on the trail.

bland

Jay Petervary, You just lost your KOM on the Tour Divide Segment to Mike Hall!

Better get back out and try harder!

AlexSimon

That Strava page is just unbelievable (as if it wasn’t already).
    Simply incredible.

bland

150,000 calories in 14 days!

wwaswas

why has the activity been flagged?

I do wish he had a premium account so there was a suffer score!

bland

someone has obviously taken offence at him doing more miles than they have! Im sure strava will actually review that one in person!

jameso

Uh oh.. my Mum’s now a STW member ) “Hi Mum…”

I’m logged in at a hotel in El Paso, re-booked my flights for later today. Coming home earlier than expected for the best reason possible.

All a bit of a blur at the moment and I’ve never felt so tired. Just looking over some photos now. Felt strong on the last day, until I got over the line and had a beer, turned into a limping, sleepy wreck in about half an hour.

Liam, Alex and I rode the last 20 miles as a relaxed bunch, we’d met near a food stop in Silver City around 12pm the night before and as long as none of us slept for more than an hour or so we all knew it’d be close. A straight-through was tempting but I think fatigue would’ve been greater than it would have been worth. I’d got past them just after dawn unknowingly as they stopped for supplies, once I realized I was probably in front I tried a TT finish and was fairly confident of holding my pace for the last 30 miles when I saw them chasing in the distance, but my lack of aero bars (stupid principles..) and 34t single ring up front weren’t helping. When we regrouped and relaxed, then decided we should go over the line all guns blazing I knew I wasn’t going to get 3rd, Alex deserved it and had done since a week earlier. He’s a tough rider with good experience in long events, you only need to know his list of expedition achievements to feel demoralized when riding against him. Spot error had me in 4th, but Liam got 4th within a few yards of Alex, I was 5th a hundred yards back, spinning like an idiot.

Such a hard thing to do, way harder than I expected (and I had the full-on fear pre-race, I knew it’d be a major test) since I never thought I’d be racing with riders that close for 80% of the race, looking over my shoulder at every stop, wishing I had some tactical experience or advantage aside from being prepared to sleep in the dirt wherever I needed to. Extra points for sleeping out every night, no motel/shower stops from one end to the other? A bit grim, I know ) I sat in a stream now and then to clean off..

And to Mike Hall – you’ve become a legend of the TDR. It’s truly amazing the pace he rode at and the miles he covered each day. We really felt for him at the closed road in Abiqui, he deserved an almost unbeatable record. But from here, positions and records seem less important now, what counts is how you ride and cope with what comes up. Mike showed how it can be done and everyone noticed, wherever we called in, if Mike had been there people were talking about this crazy-fast guy who was 200 miles ahead already. Jesse is a hugely talented and really nice guy too, from BMX world champion to TDR 2nd place as a rookie and a very long way ahead of the rest of us. Managed to look pretty damn cool while doing it too. I feel proud of my ride as well as very humbled by the guys who were so far in front of me.

A few pics coming up.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Proper awesome result James, massive well done!

So, can we look forward to seeing a TD race bike in the shops soon 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

Nice one, well done on a superb achievement.

busydog
    Free Member

Jameso
    I live in Albuquerque and while following the race was trying to figure out if you had to detour around the Silver fire in S. New Mexico or does the official trail run to the west of the fire?

geoffj

well done James – a truly excellent performance and inspiration to us all.

jameso

busydog, we were sent off the main rout on FR28 toward the FR159 and mogollon (sp?), then 65 miles of tarmac on Hwy 180 to Silver City. A tough day, but apparently easier than the main route? I’m not sure where the fire was, I rode into Silver City around midnight and had been breathing thin smoke for a few hours and could see ash and smoke in the headlight beam, but no fires. I think the trackleader spot trace shows the diversion.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 290 total)

The topic ‘Tour Divide 2013’ is closed to new replies.