Tour de France stage 6 – Brest > Mûr-de-Bretagne Guerlédan

Home Forum Bike Forum Tour de France stage 6 – Brest > Mûr-de-Bretagne Guerlédan

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Tour de France stage 6 – Brest > Mûr-de-Bretagne Guerlédan
  • Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

So, as the UK wakes up with a hangover, the Tour continues. Let’s see what we have in store.

Mûr-de-Bretagne, a legendary passing point of the Tour de France in Brittany with hundreds of “gwen ha du” (white and black Breton flags) to cheer for the riders, was first featured as a stage finish in 2011 with eventual overall winner Cadel Evans winning ahead of Alberto Contador and Alexandre Vinokourov. The “Breton Alpe d’Huez” is a 2-km long climb that saw the victory of Alexis Vuillermoz on 2015. Moreover, Chris Froome proved to be the strongest before hitting the big mountains. For the first time, the climb is to be done twice with a time bonus sprint three kilometres after the first passage. Therefore, it’s no longer a stage like a classic. It can favour riders like Julian Alaphilippe and Alejandro Valverde. The Frenchman is even considered the biggest threat by current race leader Greg Van Avermaet, likely to take the yellow jersey over from him. But it’s above all a stage in which the GC contenders can’t hide, even though the differences between them shouldn’t be too big. Psychologically, it’s a crucial stage.

The profile? Lump, rolling almost.

And the finish? Lumpy too.

Who’s in the mix? Inrng, what you got?

The Contenders: today should offer a replay of yesterday’s finish. Julian Alaphilippe (Quick Step) has the punch to get away on the climb but if Peter Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe) can match him on the steeper parts of the slope then the Slovak should prove the fastest in the sprint, especially as there’s forecast to be a headwind on the final climb, a light one but enough to make sitting on a wheel pay but the question for Sagan is whether there’s too much climbing in the finish, that the first ascent wears him out. Quick Step have to make tactical choices, how to use Philippe Gilbert for example, an early attack on the climb like the old days (as a decoy?) but Gilbert has a shot at the yellow jersey too and wants it.

Yesterday’s stage wasn’t hard enough for the likes of Dan Martin (UAE-Emirates) and Alejandro Valverde(Movistar) but they might be in with a chance here.

And of course, a brief look back on yesterday.

A very French scene.

Another French scene.

Chavanel in the break again.

Sagan.

Good work Lunge.

I fancy a climber with a strong team that gets him in a good position at the foot of the climb. Don’t think Sky will attack but Froome, Kwiato and G will do OK on this finish. Adam Yates or Dan Martin I think/hope.

It might be more of a case of several GC men losing time, Nibali lost a chunk here in 2015.

mt

Am not sure who’ll will go for this one but its time one of the other GC contender teams show themselves given the forthcoming cobble stage.  It looks like a great stage though.

chipster

Will Sagan be able to hang on up the Mur for the second time? If he can, he’ll win, if not I’ll go with Valverde, again. Happen

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Hopefully someone like Yates, Dan Martin or Kwiatkowski.

Getting bored of Sagan winning everything!

Froome by a closely inspected stem today.

Monster lead out over the Mur first time, thin out the peloton, then a last gasp attack on the second run at it.

TiRed

Love to see GvA, but that yellow jersey will change his strategy to defend not attack. Big Phil showed that when the legs were fired, he didn’t have it to finish the job. Sagan looked all conquering yesterday.

Sagan again today. Clearly Mr Strong.

Not really a day for climbers, but I could imagine G thinking more about yellow with the right attacking tactics. But it is a stage for Sagan.

looks the best stage so far.

stevious

Hoping we might see a glimpse of Barguil today but not expecting too much from him.

Can’t see why Sagan wouldn’t win

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Monster stage !

Belgian or Dutch or French bloke.

Hard men to the fore, need only apply if willing to suffer.

PhilGil if he has the legs.

Alaphilipe if he’s eaten a baguette.

Valgren though, he’s a tough cookie so I’m picking him.

Lets have a break P L E A S E 👋🙏👀

brakes

can’t see why Sagan wouldn’t win

tired legs after yesterday?

scud

Quite like Valverde for today… would be good to see Movistar do something vaguely exciting!

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Anyone know if a breaks gone ?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

5 in the break

https://racecenter.letour.fr/#/stageprofile
    I tried pasting the details but the forum is too broken to handle that

stevious

tired legs after yesterday?

He didn’t really look like he was trying yesterday.

atlaz

Some GC riders could be done… a load of riders caught in a split. 5 mins gap between the two groups (break still ahead of those)

atlaz

Ah never mind. Misread. 1 minute. As you were

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Jack Bauer is off the front which would suggest that Yates fancies a crack towards the end.

Good lad. Great stage.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

DAAAAAAAAAN.

Good recovery by Roglic too.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

WTF’s with all the punctures?

I REALLY don’t get why you’d not use tubeless, or at least fill your tubs with jizz, on a pretty much just rolling stage with a power climb at the end.  Fine, on a massive alpine climb those 3 watts might matter but here I’d take the “guarantee” of no flats over that every time

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Oh, awesome ride by Dan. By gummy he deserves that.

Who had him down for the win?

Bardet lost time so too DomTom.. sadly they’ve got a flat bugger of a Stage tomorrow so no room for a punt.

Great Stage, brought out some good talent to the front. Was slightly surprised to see La Tour up there for AG2r but hey.. Muy Muy Muy why not.

🤩👏

How did dumoulin not get pinged for the blatant drafting behind the team car

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

he did – 20sec penalty on GC.

Yeah my bad. Missed that

brakes

I think I prefer Dan’s interviews when he’s tried and failed… I thought he’d be bouncing of the walls!

mark88

Gutted for Dumoulin/myself – I’ve got a couple of quid on him to win the tour, with the hope that he would have a few days in yellow in which I’d cash out. Still plenty of time for him to make up for that penalty.

Any idea on Froome yesterday? Do you think he is just allowing G have his moment providing he wasn’t losing time to rivals?

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Yeah, sandbagging.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.