Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 260 total)
  • Tour de France Stage 19 – Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne / La Toussuire – Les Sybelles
  • AlexSimon

His mate behind filming it – hope they get picked up by the gendarme

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

No doubt Nibali clocked Froome’s mechanical, Millar seems to think it’s not an issue.

i think it was unsportsman like behaviour but I don’t think it massively influenced the outcome of the day.

AlexSimon

the Inner Ring ?@inrng 1m1 minute ago

4th overall this morning Geraint Thomas finishes 53rd, 22 minutes down

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AlexSimon

I’m glad Froomie called Nibali out. Gone up slightly in my estimation for that.

razorrazoo

It was a massive day. From the word go the racing was on. All in all it was a good day to be able to tick it off with one day of racing left. Quintana put in a big attack and I opted to limit my losses and keep a bit of energy. – Chris Froome speaking to ITV4

Let’s hope this was the case.

sputnik
    Free Member

Froome didn’t mention the spitting, maybe didn’t notice with all the shouting from the crowd.
    Millar backtracking on his earlier comment.

dragon
    Free Member

Wow Sky in all kinds of problems, at the end of today Poels was at 6 minutes and then Geraint next way back at 22 mins. And now they have to pick themselves up and ride again tomorrow, yikes.

I think all the work Geraint has done for Froome over the last weeks has been starting to tell for the last couple of days, and today it eventually all caught up with him 😥 Fair play for hanging on so long mind, he’s done better than some of the bigger names in his team.

AlexSimon

Millar backtracking on his earlier comment.

To be fair there was new information – i.e. the Nibali denial.

stanfree
    Free Member

‘Sometimes your a hammer , sometimes your a nail . Today I was a cheapy wee ikea nail’.

i love Geraint Thomas.

sputnik
    Free Member

IKEA to sue Sky for slander !

crazy-legs

This could well blow tomorrow wide open, Quintana might be thinking about how much extra time he can get back, Nibali is within reach of a podium now so he could light it all up again tomorrow if he can recover in time.

Watching this on +1, I had to follow it on Twitter and here while I was on the train home so just catching up on the actual footage now.

sputnik
    Free Member

Another roadside hero from today

AlexSimon

I did notice that one (the spitter passed me by).
    Someone is going to have to be made an example of I feel.

crazy-legs

Froome might well be in the running for both yellow and KOM Jersey here…

brakes
    Free Member

I reckon Froome has something left in the tank and will burn all his matches tomorrow. Him and Quintana head to head on the Alpe.
    Even Sean Kelly might get a bit excited by that.

colournoise

brakes +1

Reckon he was riding tempo to a certain extent after Quintana today. Limiting his loss and trying to keep something back for the last mountain stage.

Andy

Yup agree with Brakes. He didn’t look as stressed as he has in the past and wants the Alp D’Huez win.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Hats off to Wouter Pouls today. Everyone’s been going on about Geraint Thomas this Tour but Pouls turned himself inside out today and may have saved the MJ for Froome.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Another roadside hero from today

What is wrong with these jeffing idiots?

scaredypants

What is wrong with these jeffing idiots?

Unfair to answer your own question like that

They’re all a-froth with insinuations of “dopage” that Mr unimpeachable JaJa’s spouting along with some of his chums and also, probably more truthfully, can’t bear the thought of more English-speaking domination of their race

anagallis_arvensis

All this doping talk about Froome seems odd to me when banned doper Valverde is in the form of his life.

molgrips
    Free Member

Insinuations of doping.. Quintana has stuck to him like glue and beat him today, why’s no-one spitting on him?

scaredypants

All this doping talk about Froome seems odd to me when banned doper Valverde is in the form of his life.

There was a Spanish BMC rider interviewed on Eurosport a day or two ago who ran through the list of top riders in terms of threat.
    When he came to Valverde he gave a sort of laugh and said “he never has a bad day”

mrblobby
    Free Member

Much admiration for Froome here. Seriously tough day, much hard racing having ravaged his team, had to do a lot on his own. All the media mud slinging he has to put up with daily, patiently answering the same questions day in day out, then being spat at and having piss thrown at him and probably no end of verbal abuse too, all the while turning himself inside out doing something unimaginably hard. And still coming across in interviews as a decent guy. More mental toughness than I can possibly comprehend.

metalheart
    Free Member

Yes, it pretty incredible that with all these obvious and ex(?) dopers in the race Froome is still in lead….

Must be some guy to do that clean, eh?

metalheart
    Free Member

Oh, and on iplayer there’s BeSpoke: Alpe d’Huez for those that haven’t done it, it’ll give you a flavour for tomorrow…

Absolutely the best day I’ve ever had on a road bike was up the Alpe 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

bertie to win tomorrow

mrblobby
    Free Member

metalheart, go knock yourself out on this thread.

FWIW, a pretty good article on The Curious Case of Chris Froome over at cyclingtips. And the linked to Rouleur article on Ten Dam is well worth a read.

scaredypants

metalheart – Member
    Yes, it pretty incredible that with all these obvious and ex(?) dopers in the race Froome is still in lead….

Ay(e), there’s the rub
    Though I suspect that, until they come across the next great undetectable (including by passport) drug, doping’s not as helpful as it used to be

metalheart
    Free Member

@Mrblobby: oh, I see. You can throw mud, just not in one specific direction…. I note you don’t feel it necessary to ‘instruct’ anyone else. #doublestandards

somafunk

‘Sometimes your a hammer , sometimes your a nail . Today I was a cheapy wee ikea nail’.

i love Geraint Thomas.

IKEA to sue Sky for slander !

Nah…. If IKEA marketing bods have any squirt of originality they’ll release a modern flatpack interpretation of a welsh dresser and call it it the Geraint

mrblobby
    Free Member

@Mrblobby: oh, I see. You can throw mud, just not in one specific direction…. I note you don’t feel it necessary to ‘instruct’ anyone else. #doublestandards

Eh?

sputnik
    Free Member

Metalmuppet you can throw your mud in any direction on mud slinging thread that was specifically created for that purpose. Off you go,ta.

metalheart
    Free Member

Haha, I saw three (veiled) doping reference posts in a row (two specifically mentioning valverde) and jumped in with both feet…

I actually don’t want to derail these daily threads believe it or not… I deliberately didn’t *speculate* about tomorrow! 😀

anagallis_arvensis

If that wascaimed at me you have missunderstood my point. Froome has one le tour before and hasnt ever failed a test. He is riding as expected. Valverde who has been banned before and is currently riding way above expectations. If I was going to be throwing accusations around or looking at someone to investigate it would be Valverde. Both or neither could be doped.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Doping aside (deliberately not airing my views on this thread) my comment was just about the mental toughness someone in Froome’s position has to have to endure what he does. Same would go for anyone in the yellow jersey in the current climate, be that Quintana, Nibali, Contador, etc. Though the daily media and roadside hatred that seems to be directed at Froome personally, which he seems to put up with graciously, just puts it on another level. No one deserves that.

Not sure where the #doublestandards is there?

pondo

metalheart – Member

So if he’s leading and cheating, we can the assume that Nibbles, Quintana, Bardet, Ancona, Rolland, Jungles… Anyone who beats him, they’re all juiced too, no?

metalheart
    Free Member

Guys, you are right, I’ve probably misread your intentions.

And actually thinking about what you’ve clarified, well, it’s made me think a little harder. And for once, I’ve actually have tried to think it from Froomes side. Now, that felt weird…. 😯

DanW
    Free Member

Though the daily media and roadside hatred that seems to be directed at Froome personally, which he seems to put up with graciously,

No-one would be giving him shit if Michelle was still allowed to get involved 😆

sputnik
    Free Member

Aw I feel bad about the name calling now Metalheart, I take it back. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 260 total)

The topic ‘Tour de France Stage 19 – Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne / La Toussuire – Les Sybelles’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts