Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Tour de France 2021 stage 15 > Céret – Andorra la Vella
  • lunge

Back into the hills today. Lets have a look what to expect.

The Tour de France serves a mountainous race of 191.3 kilometres long. Travelling from Céret to Andorra la Vella, stage 15 takes in four climbs before a downhill finish in the capital of the Pyrenean microstate Andorra.

The first 19 kilometres go virtually all uphill, although at shallow gradients. Expect the battle for the breakaway to be intense. It could very well last until the first proper climb, which is the Montée de Mont-Louis. The riders tackle the 8.4 kilometres climb at 5.7% after almost 80 kilometres.

KOM points are up for grabs at kilometre 86.3, but the ascent continues – false flat – until skiresort Font-Romeu is reached at an elevation of 1,783 metres, which lies 8.5 kilometres further.

The riders descend into the valley, only to go straight back up again. From base to summit the Col de Puymorens is approximately 20 kilometres long, but the gradients are shallow. The last 5.9 kilometer go up at 4.6%.

A short descent and then the riders climb into Andorra via the Port d’Envalira, which is a 10.7 ascent with an average gradient of 5.9%. The first rider at the summit wins the Souvenir Henri Desgrange, as this marks – at 2,408 metres above sea level – the highest point of the 2021 Tour de France.

A 19 kilometres descent leads into Encamp and continues onto the the decisive climb of the day. The Collada de Beixalis is 6.4 kilometres long and the average gradient sits at 8.5%. The first half rises at more than 10% and features sections up to 15%.

The finale of the 15th stage is a 14.8 kilometres drop down into Andorra la Vella.

The first three riders on the line gain time bonuses of 10, 6 and 4 seconds. Furthermore, 8, 5 and 2 seconds are available at the Col de Beixalis.

Who to look out for?

The Contenders: Julian Alaphilippe (Deceuninck-Quickstep) had a day’s rest yesterday, as in he didn’t get in the winning breakaway. He’s a candidate for today but capable of winning big but he’s often a runner-up too. David Gaudu (Groupama-FDJ) didn’t have big GC ambitions but now he’s firmly a stage-hunter but today might be too soon. Dylan Teuns (Bahrain) can feature. Astana have been quiet and are all in for Lutsenko but Jakob Fuglsang can take his chance, ditto Ion Izagirre. Movistar aren’t even in the running for the team prize so a stage win close to Spain would be a consolation, can Miguel Angel Lopez make the break? Nairo Quintana (Arkéa-Samsic) will want to score mountains points today but the long steady climbs suit him. Michael Woods (Israel) could try again or team mate Dan Martin could help mark Quintana for the points.

Tadej Pogačar (UAE Emirates) is an obvious pick but as ever his team are struggling to contain the race so if there’s a breakaway they’re unlikely to reel it in while rival teams are likely to hold back and let them burn themselves out. Richard Carapaz (Ineos) might not be able to win in an uphill finish but could try the descent.

And as ever, yesterday.

stevious

Would love to see some of the top 10 guys have a good go at upsetting things, even if it’s eventually fruitless. So far carapaz has seemed most up for it.

Klunk
    Free Member

stevious

Jumbo have 3 guys in the break and Vignegaard in the peloton. I really hope this is a set-up for something.

Klunk
    Free Member

Carapaz has sent his team to the front again, will he ride when he burns them out or just look around for someone else’s wheel to follow like on Ventoux

Klunk
    Free Member

Bulky Molelaymar with a flat battery/**** gears

weeksy

Just watching and laughing here, they’re climbing a 6% climb, 11km in length and averaging 35km/h up it! I can barely hit 35km/h on the flat and sustain it for 1-2km, let alone up a blood hill and 140km into a race and 15 days into a race!

Klunk
    Free Member

ooofff that was suddenly really tough in the wind

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Caught the end of that surreal moment, group of ~20 brought to a standstill going sideways due to steepness of hill with the wind! 😮

Klunk
    Free Member

holy **** shit how did he do that !!!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

all set up now…

get yer fireworks ready.

Klunk
    Free Member

jesus was that it, after burning your team ?

Klunk
    Free Member

He’s no Bernal that’s for sure.

tjagain

Explain this to a guy who really knows half of nothing about road racing. The commentators talk about technical descents and how good these guys are. I watch the lines and see missed apexes all the time and apexing too early all the time meaning they cannot start pedalling until after they get straight ‘cos they are heading for the outside of the bend whereas a later apex would enable then to get on the pedal earlier. What am I missing?

simondbarnes

What am I missing?

How **** difficult it it descending on the road at speed when you’re absolutely **** having already ridden for 2 weeks on the limit?

Spin
    Free Member

He’s no Bernal that’s for sure.

Carapaz is a class act, he’s obviously just not on top form.

tjagain

Fair enough Simon!

I was wondering if a later apex means a slower apex speed? Are motorcycle lines that different?

ratherbeintobago

Valverde’s longevity is remarkable, isn’t it?

Anyone know what’s happening with Cav? Not sure where he is in relation to the time cut but the official timings suggest he’s not home yet.

Klunk
    Free Member

the cutoff time is +43:42

ratherbeintobago

Just checked Letour.fr again – he’s crossed the line at + 00h 34′ 57” which presumably means he’s safe.

Klunk
    Free Member

just tuesday & wednesday now to worry about, I don’t think either will be an issue, tuesday is another down hill finish and wednesday the mountains are only in final third. And besides he seems to be climbing well at the moment.

Spin
    Free Member

Valverde’s longevity is remarkable, isn’t it?

Indeed. Unbelievable would be another word.

ratherbeintobago

Indeed. Unbelievable would be another word.

It would be a Piti if there turned out to be something dodgy going on.

Spin
    Free Member

It would be a Piti if there turned out to be something dodgy going on.

He’s been dogged by suspicion throughout his career.

peteimpreza

“ He’s been dogged by suspicion throughout his career.”

how much blood did he store from his 30 year old self?…………………… amongst other things no doubt

Sandwich

I watch the lines and see missed apexes all the time and apexing too early all the time meaning they cannot start pedalling until after they get straight ‘cos they are heading for the outside of the bend whereas a later apex would enable then to get on the pedal earlier. What am I missing?

It’s quite a skill, usually my first big descent of the day is epic! (Modest moi??) By descent number 3 on the same day my brain is fried from concentration or the fact I’ve been breathing through my bum for the last 10km and it’s enough that I don’t crash.

grahamt1980

I heard a rumor he has some sort of residence in puerto. No idea what that means 😉

stevious

I’m not keen on using riders’ nicknames so can we please call the stage winner by his full name: Sepultura Couscous?

Thanks.

crazy-legs

I watch the lines and see missed apexes all the time and apexing too early all the time meaning they cannot start pedalling until after they get straight ‘cos they are heading for the outside of the bend whereas a later apex would enable then to get on the pedal earlier. What am I missing?

I only caught today’s stage on highlights, didn’t watch it live.

On closed roads, the riders are usually following the moto or car, not really looking at the road too much. Problem is, the moto can’t usually take as tight a line through corners so occasionally, riders will misjudge it.

Plus as Simon says, they’re all knackered after 2 weeks of racing, there were quite strong winds today too which will have made the descents much trickier.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Motor racing is done on a circuit, they learn the apexes, exit points etc. TdF and every stage is different, the stage winner today demonstrated home advantage but even he hadn’t done the final descent that often. Plus lycra is a crap crash cage

slowoldman

just tuesday & wednesday now to worry about

…and Thursday.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Tour de France 2021 stage 15 > Céret – Andorra la Vella’ is closed to new replies.