Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tour de France 2020 Stage 21 – Mantes-la-Jolie > Paris
  • lunge

TT stages are boring then? Nothing ever happens in them, they just spoil the race…

Today we reach the end, a fine race with many narratives that we will no doubt discusses when all is done dusted. Few thought we’d reach Paris, and even fewer would have picked who’s be wearing yellow when we arrived.

So let’s see how we finish things.

Sunday 20 September – At 122 kilometres, the final stage of the Tour de France is the traditional parade race to the Champs-Élysées in Paris. The start is in Mantes-la-Jolie.

Mantes-la-Jolie is located on the Autoroute de Normandie, almost 50 kilometers to the west of Paris. The town of 43,000 inhabitants has a long history. It is situated halfway between Paris and Rouen, once settled upon by Norman rulers. Also, during the Hundred Year’s War between France and England (1337-1453), the town changed hands numerous times.

Yet, Mantes-la-Jolie is sure to host a peaceful start of the Tour de France’s last stage. A glass of champagne, a photo shoot, and an occasional cigar – those are the ingredients of the parade stage. But once the riders hit the cobbles in the centre of France the bunch accelerates. The stage ends with eight fast laps of almost 7 kilometres.

For four consecutive years Mark Cavendish was the fastest sprinter in Paris, but that was a while ago in the periode 2009-2012. In subsequent years Marcel Kittel (2013, 2014), André Greipel (2015, 2016), Dylan Groenewegen (2017), Alexander Kristoff (2018) and Caleb Ewan (2019) powered to victory.

Champs-Élysées is French for Elysium, the final resting place of the souls of the heroic and the virtuous in Greek mythology. What a place to end the world’s biggest annual sporting event!

The first three riders on the line gain time bonuses of 10, 6 and 4 seconds.

Stage 21 of Le Tour starts at 15.45 and the race is expected to finish around 19.00 – both are local times (CEST).

Lovely. And the contenders?

A sprint finish is the obvious scenario, we’ve only seen attacks work in 2005 and 1994 since 1989’s time trial finish, still watch Rémi Cavagna (Deceuninck-Quickstep), Nils Politt (Israel) and Greg Van Avermaet (CCC) just in case. Caleb Ewan (Lotto-Soudal) and Sam Bennett (Deceuninck-Quickstep) are the standout sprinters here. Wout van Aert (Jumbo-Visma) can aim for his third stage win, it’s not like the team have anything else to do now. Alexander Kristoff (UAE Emirates) won here a year ago and could bookend his Tour. Sunweb have had a great tour but it’s not over yet, Cees Bol can still win a sprint. The outsider pick is Luka Mezgec (Mitchelton-Scott) and not because he’s Slovenian, but he’s won the final stage of the Giro before, his team will be all in and he’s good for a long sprint at high speed rather than a sprint out of a tight corner.

And of course, yesterday.

Bike swap?

scaredypants

Well done lunge, thanks for smashing these out every day

I’m going to do the decent thing and ensure that you all see an amazing stage … by not bothering to watch

Bonne chance, mes braves !

winston
    Free Member

That photo of Roglic coming up the final climb with an ashen face and lopsided helmet is going to be everywhere, poor guy.

WVA will be angry and hungry after the disappointment of yesterday

But what about Pog leading out Kristoff for the win?

TiRed

Ewen today. Nice guys finish first. And he rode slow enough yesterday not to be eliminated!

crazy-legs

Much as I want Sam Bennett to finish off his Tour in style with a win in the final sprint, I’d quite like to see that scenario actually!

I think the only real question now is the podium for Green. Sagan > Trenton or does Trentin manage to get 15 more points to get above Sagan in the rankings?!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

its not 2012 again

i like this picture

lunge

Id love to see WvA win, but Bennett is be OK with too. However, I do like the idea of a Kristoff win.

colournoise

If Ewan is anywhere near the pointy end at the right time, it’s his to lose today.

stevious

They’re in Paris now so racing will start soon.

I think it’s a tough call between Ewan and Bennett. I think Bennett is stronger and has a better team, but Ewan has far less pressure on him so seems to ride in a much more lucid way.

Would love to see one of the teams without a victory get something here though. Mezgec or Trentin perhaps.

Klunk
    Free Member

this is just absurd, they allow non social distancing crowds yesterday but not today…. bizarre,

crazy-legs

Looks like UAE Team Emirates riders have the choice of rim or disc, there’s a mix in there.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Just posting this to thank Lunge for starting the daily thread.
    Great race this year but whilst the scenery is fantastic on the final day, the race itself was a bit ho hum, (hence lack of activity on this thread?).

mogrim

Thanks again to lunge for his sterling work during the TdF!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tour de France 2020 Stage 21 – Mantes-la-Jolie > Paris’ is closed to new replies.