Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • TOUR DE BEN NEVIS
  • Paul-j

Anyone signed up for the no fuss events tour de ben nevis, or any adivce for tyres etc?

cheers

stevious

I’m in.

You’ll definitely need tyres.

Would be interested to know if it’s worth bringing the Stumpy or whether my hardtail would be more sensible.

danlurinsky
    Free Member

I’m thinking of a last minute entry myself, not sure wether R8 or alpine 160 would be best?

Anyone who’s previously done it got any tips? Big bike or wee bike?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Wee bike, nothing techy enough for a big bike.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

You in S_F?

I’m hovering over the “enter” button (well, not literally…). Not ridden much lately due to a knee injury and the pish weather but I do fancy it.

Racer X looks like the bike for the job – I’ve done this on an HT before and it was fine but a bit rough in places. Light FS would be more comfortable.

legend
    Free Member

alpine 160

😯 not sure what race an Alpine would be any good for, but I’m pretty certain it’s not 85km around the base of Ben Nevis

summittoppler
    Free Member

Not sure about the tyres, prob downto what the weather is like leading up to it 😕

I’d love to be up there for it but no can do. Follow the link for some pics from most of the route I did a couple of years back
    http://s403.photobucket.com/albums/pp117/summittoppler/Ben%20Nevis%20loop%2008/

Best days xc riding ever 8)

Paul-j

for me there is no choice, alpine 160 is the only bike I own at the minute. That rear shock is going to be pumped up pretty hard.

unless i can get my hands on a ragley mmmbop 18″ frame before then.

aspen rear, high roller front. lets see what happens

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

For tyres, it’s fairly rocky and firm all the way round. You’ll be wanting someting quick rolling but durable-ish.

Stuart – no, don’t think so. We’re away to Arran next week and I’ll be taking the bike(s). Need to meet up for a ride soon before it gets proper grim!

BenjiM

unless i can get my hands on a ragley mmmbop 18″ frame before then.

There was a guy on here earlier with a dented on. Maybe he’d sell it cheap. No mech hanger either.

Here!

Paul-j

cheers for that, but that is one hell of a dent, or two by the looks of it.

Aspen all round for me by the sounds of that.

Paul-j

any aluminum hard tail frame witch can take a tapered fork really.

finmac
    Free Member

First time for me. Think my Camber will be manage it ok. Dunno you the engine tho lol. Not been riding for over a week or so due to work and dire weather…..but a few jelly babies and hip flask of Glenmorangie should do the trick! 😉 Cant wait!

swavis

I’m looking forward to this. I was also agonising over bike choice. I rode it last year on my meta 5.5 but think I’m going to ride it on my 100mm forked scandal. I’ll be wearing my best bibs and taking lots of assos cream 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘TOUR DE BEN NEVIS’ is closed to new replies.