Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • tougher than heli tape
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

my full suss frame has a bit of protective tape where the rear brake exits the internal routing and touchs the rear stay. I did a full stay wrap with protective tap over the top of this.

in 270 km i’m through 2 layers of tape + the paint. What’s tougher than heli tape?

emanuel
    Free Member

zip ties?

Northwind

A bit of cable outer- what happens when 2 unstoppable forces collide?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s a battle beteween the protective tape layer or the cable. What do you want to win, the cheap and easy to apply tape or the more expensive and time consuming cable? One of the items has to be sacrificial so I’ve just gone with elerctical tape. Lasts a few months, but it’s cheap as chips, quick and easy to replace and comes in a variety of colours.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Change the routing, get a longer hose so it doesn’t touch.

Get one of those rubber bumpers on the hose so it doesn’t rub as badly.

Wally

Scotch 3m 2228 rubber mastic tape.

mark90
    Free Member

+1 on the 2228 tape. Either on the frame instead of helitape or as I have done at a couple of rub points a small pad stuck to the cable/hose as cushioning, with helitape on the frame. The 2228 is soft enough you almost don’t need helitape on the frame, but I would belt and braces it.

nedrapier

It’s a battle between the protective tape layer or the cable. What do you want to win, the cheap and easy to apply tape or the more expensive and time consuming cable? One of the items has to be sacrificial so I’ve just gone with electrical tape.

They’re both being worn by grit and mud. You could argue that your leccy tape, being soft, holds onto grit more than a harder material e.g. glass, and wears the cable faster.

Not suggesting you ride a glass mtb frame!

nixie

Pace carbon pads or the thick lizard skin pads. You can get bits of rubber the go over the hose that are sacrificial. I’m using sugru at the moment and it’s easy to shape as required and you can make it thick.

akira

One side of velcro works quite well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘tougher than heli tape’ is closed to new replies.