Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Tough 29er alloy wheels? DT Swiss, Newmen, who else?
  • chiefgrooveguru

In preparation for the great future drought of parts, accepting that the stock rims on my Levo can’t last forever, and planning ahead towards my hardtail becoming a 29er (from 27.5) I’m thinking I should get some wheels for the ebike and relegate the stock Roval ones to being spares/future hardtail wheels.

In the past I’d have got Hope hubs with Stans rims but it seems you can do better than Stans now and Hope rims are not brilliant. Have heard good stuff about DT Swiss and Newmen.

Alloy not carbon please. Boost. Not straight pull unless there’s a good reason! ~30mm internal width. 6 bolt disc mounts. HG freehub but easily swappable to one of the other standards to make it “future resistant”. Torque caps on the front would be nice to match my fork.

Not that bothered about weight but as I’m running Rimpact inserts and don’t tend to wreck rims I don’t need super bombproof rims – in the trail/enduro land rather than enduro/DH. My hardtail and previous full-sus have/had Flow EX.

As it’s for an ebike I think the rear will need to have a steel freehub body and possibly e-rated to handle the extra torque (star ratchet looks better than pawls for this).

And obviously actually available now or imminently – any suggestions?

escrs
    Free Member

The Levo’s stock wheels are pretty poor!

My gen 1 Levo wheels lasted 4 months, sold my gen 1 Kenevo wheels as soon as i got them and replaced them with Hope Fortus 30 in 27.5

Same again when i got my gen 2 Levo, sold the wheels straight away and replaced them with a set of Hope Fortus 30 in 29er

The Fortus 30’s have been spot on, no dinged rims, have stayed true and im not easy on wheels, the 30 is the downgill rim so extra beefy

Did fit a set of DT Swiss EX1501 wheels for a while (DT’s top of the range alloy wheels costing £900)

After a couple of months on the gen 2 Levo they had a small ding and a few minor buckles even though they were properly tensioned, decided to put them on the Hardtail and bought the 29in Fortus 30’s

qwerty
    Free Member

WTB KOM come in light or tough versions.

marksnook
    Free Member

I run dt ex511 rims on my enduro bike and my hardtail. They are pretty tough! Cased some stuff on the hardtail that felt like it should have killed the rim but they just don’t seem to flinch.
    Several mates have them and can’t seem to break them
    I’m not sure there is a better choice, ex511 on whatever hubs you fancy/can find!

swanny853

I have finally come round to what quite a few people on here have said and am going back to dt for the fs. Xm481 waiting to be built- to be fair to the outgoing arch mk3 it’s taken a fair amount of abuse, don’t think it has any dents and it’s just at the point where I have to choose between true and balanced. After denting another wtb kom on the hardtail I think that’s going to get DT too at some point.

I did build up a newmen rim for the OHs front wheel, but as front wheels have an easy life not much to report

qwerty
    Free Member

PS: I’ve had DT XM481 on my HT for the last few years and not had to touch them, personally i’d go DT every time (except that i’m going MK4 Stans Arch next cos they’re lighter & straddle the middle ground width wise on a new build)!

walleater

DT EX511 on 350 hubs is probably boring to many, but will outlast many of the ‘cool’ options.

sillyoldman

What Walleater said.

SirHC

XM481 front
    EX511 rear (I run a 471, as is a bit narrower and think a narrower rim steers better)

Hope Pro 4 hubs
    Sapim or DT Spokes, I always go for butted as they have more give, PG are harsh and find they lose tension more. Trying to track down DT Alpine 3 and Sapim Strongs is a pain in the arse.

chiefgrooveguru

I was certainly leaning towards the EX511 rim – the similar one that survived Leogang under Gwin made a good case for DT’s quality!

I have a slightly odd way of using the Levo – I tend to ride with max assistance (uphill when commuting, quick solo rides, rides to and from group rides) or zero assistance when I’m with non-ebikes. So in light of that I’m thinking I probably don’t want something as crazy heavy as a Fortus 30 but I do need a hub that won’t implode under the torque demands.

The DT Swiss HX1700 seems to be an ebike version of the E1700, which is EX511 rims on 350 hubs. Obvious choice is obvious? Or am I better off with a custom handbuild for mystical reasons?

dpfr

I’ve abused a pair of DT EX1501 for the last 18 months, bashing them for over 5000 km round the Dark Peak, and they have suffered only cosmetic damage. I can’t see myself buying anything other than DT from now on.

escrs
    Free Member

Ive had no issues using Hope Pro4 hubs on my e bikes and like you i tend to use max assistance pretty much every time i use the Levo (have the hardtail and road bikes for a workout)

The Pro4 hubs have been faultless, spares are much easier to get than DT spares, cheaper too, anytime ive needed any spares for Hope parts ive just emailed Hope and they have sent me the parts for free the next day

Needed some DT spares for my 240s hubs a while ago (ratchet spring and some spokes & squrox nipples) took a while to track some down that were in stock and they came from Germany so cost a bit more and took a little longer to get here so that’s one thing to consider when choosing hubs

If you go DT hubs then the 18t ratchet is meant to be best for e bikes but my 36t ratchet was fine too

chiefgrooveguru

That’s good to know! I’m keen to support my LBS as they’re nice guys, do a good job and are right by work so super convenient, so I’ll see if they can do a DT/Hope build for me.

I’d always thought I had quite a lack of finesse when riding but the survival rate of rims under me suggests otherwise (fingers crossed!) Despite that, I’m amazed these Levo wheels have lasted three years and 3000 miles thus far – I think the Rimpacts are mostly to thank because when new I put a few small dings in within weeks when it was wet, muddy and slow here (and rather rockless as usual).

bruneep

Dt ex511 from Mike at 20 twenty https://20twentystore.com/collections/wheels

Half of Aberdeen/ Aberdeenshire will be on his wheels  by now.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got friends who rave about the Newmen wheels so I’d consider them if I was flush, but my EX511 / Hope Pro 4 wheels are also super-tough and easy to live with – and were about £200 cheaper.

I dunno if Hope do a steel freehub these days, but if anyone did it’d probably be them, eh?

chiefgrooveguru

With a custom build, do you think 28 spoke front, 32 spoke rear, would make sense? Any reason not to go J bend with Hope hubs and DT Swiss rims?

BillOddie

I’m big, heavy and clumsy and I have abused a pair of DT Swiss E1900 wheels for the last 18 months (on a LT hardtail then on a Enduro bike) and they haven’t missed a beat.

chakaping
    Free Member

With a custom build, do you think 28 spoke front, 32 spoke rear, would make sense?

Might do, but best to ask a wheelbuilder. I got mine from Moonglu and he was very helpful on the phone (as well as being very competitive on price).

Any reason not to go J bend with Hope hubs and DT Swiss rims?

Again, I’m no expert but they’ve worked well for me – and I’ve had to replace a few spokes due to the rear mech getting into them at high speed (wheel stayed perfectly true).

godzilla
    Free Member

Have you checked out Hunt wheels? I ran a set for 2 years hammered them round Finale two years on the trot with no issues, I also Have Hope on EX511 but I’ll be putting Hunts on my next bike.
    https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/mtb-wheels/products/hunt-e_enduro-wide-mtb-wheelset?variant=31101036691533

bruneep

Ride with two guys who have Hunt wheels, the rims seem to be made of some sort of cheese.

honourablegeorge

I just spent a week in Finale beating the hell out of my Newmen rims – 28 spoke wheels under my 100kg weight, zero issues, no dings or tents, and still true.

Mine are the SL A 30 – they to an E.G 30 also which is their EBike/Gravity rim, that must be seriously tough. Paul Aston#s Pinkbike review is worth a read, again, he was on the lighter ones.

chiefgrooveguru

A couple of guys I sometimes ride with work for Hunt but I’ve heard quite mixed reviews from elsewhere about their rims – and it looks like their toughest rim is wider than I’d like, 37mm internal. I don’t run super big tyres (2.4-2.5” front, 2.3”-2.4” rear) so I think 30mm is about as wide as I’d want to go.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Newmen wheels, including that Pinkbike review – also, when a company is run by people from Liteville and Syntace then you can assume you’re going to get a really solid product!

This is a useful distraction from the hand, foot and mouth infection that my toddler has given me…

DrP

I’ve a mate who rides Newmen who really rates them..
    I nearly got a similar pair, but then spunked up the cash and treated myself to some Reserve wheels!

I’ve got (hanging in the garage) some Hunt Trailwide. Wasn’t at all impressed with them… dings and dents galore!!
    Oddly, the XC wides on my singlespeed have taken WAY more abuse (it’s a rigid bike!) and are still going strong! Annoyingly, I got the XC wheels free from Hunt, and paid for the Trailwides!!

DrP

godzilla
    Free Member

Hunt changed the profile and alloy, trail and enduro are V2 now, it’s not a fair comparison if you had the originals imho.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hunt changed the profile and alloy, trail and enduro are V2 now

Is it the V2 version you’ve been riding? Good to hear some real-world feedback as they seemed to have copped to the problem with the original ones being a bit fragile.

rockandrollmark

My first thought when I read your OP was 32 hole EX511s laced up to some DT350 hubs and the 36t star ratchet driver. I went through a similar journey looking at Hunt, Hope, Stans etc and settled on a DT Swiss combo (28h XM481s on 350s). I’m exceedingly pleased with them.

As with everything these days, stock will be your issue. I called around a few people before getting them built overseas by fitwheels and most people were saying no stock of DT hubs, but would you like Hope Pro 4s. By this stage I’d done my homework and was set on the DT setup. I’ve nothing but praise for fitwheels (they even accommodated the stupid +3mm dish on my rear for no extra charge).

ETA – ignore everything I just said and do this:

Dt ex511 from Mike at 20 twenty https://20twentystore.com/collections/wheels

Half of Aberdeen/ Aberdeenshire will be on his wheels  by now.

honourablegeorge

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Newmen wheels, including that Pinkbike review – also, when a company is run by people from Liteville and Syntace then you can assume you’re going to get a really solid product!

TBH, I was a bit nervous taking them over there, since I’m a big lump, and they’re pretty light. I was considering getting the E.G rear wheel, but decided to save my cash, glad I did.

doomanic

I’m picking up some EX511 on Hope Pro 4 this afternoon. I’m hoping they are good as people here are saying.

honourablegeorge

chakaping

Is it the V2 version you’ve been riding? Good to hear some real-world feedback as they seemed to have copped to the problem with the original ones being a bit fragile.

Other Hunt threads on here suggested that even the newer versions still retain some of that cheesy goodness.

godzilla
    Free Member

I was on the original ones, zero issues, the bearing lasted better than Hopes I’ve had and the engagement made going back to Hope feel like a downgrade, My Hope/511 rims are top draw and I’d confidently ride them down anything, but I did the same runs on the Hunts.

TheGhost
    Free Member

It’s a shame DT Swiss don’t make a 35mm inner EX511 in 29.

sl2000

With a custom build, do you think 28 spoke front, 32 spoke rear, would make sense?

With DT 240s and Hope Pro 4s the spoke length is within 3 mm for all 4 sides if you do 32 spoke on both. Means you can keep just one length of emergency spare spoke. If you go 28 spoke on front then you’ll need different lengths front and rear.

chiefgrooveguru

I hadn’t considered the spoke length thing, that’s a good point!

Also wondering about XM481 front, EX511 rear? I’m definitely much easier on the front than the back.

Another consideration – I presume these rims are easy enough to seat tyres tubeless (my Stans and Roval ones have been fine)? How about the fight to get tyres on and off with foam inserts – any experiences?

duncancallum

Ex511s on 350 hubs.

You’ll be able to hand them down to your grandkids

doomanic

snotrag

XM481s here too and they are absolutely solid, I’ve experimented with some pretty low pressures and proper belted them off rocks a fair bit and they are still bob on.

The more hardcore EX rims must be hard as nails.

Bigmantrials

I have always had good luck with Spank rims, had 345’s in the past but now on 359’s on my latest build.

Just so happens, I have a set of 29er 345’s on DT 240 hubs for sale……

twonks

Have posted elsewhere about my wheel shennanigans but EX511 on Pro 4 build by Moonglu have remained true and strong for the past 2 years under my 120Kg and a Ripmo.

Granted I don’t jump or smash into things deliberately but I do ride down rocky paths in the peaks occasionally. Also ride Pro 4 on 27.5″ ARC40 rims on the same terrain and they are straight as a die too.

Now have 28H 240 exp straight pull with DT competition spokes on XM481 rims on the Ripmo. Lovely wheels but should have been EX511 rims and the shop built the wrong. They gave me a free EX511 rim for the rear and I must admit I am slightly nervous riding the XM481s although probably shouldn’t be.

Given the choice, for a durable build I’d always go Pro 4 / EX511, although I am probably going to sell the 240/XM481 and put them towards some Reserve 30SL wheels – daft but just want some.

devash
    Free Member

Similar experience to others above re: DT Swiss alloy wheels.

I’ve done Stans Arch on Hope hubs, Fulcrum factory wheels, Pacenti rims on Superstar hubs, Alex Rims on dirt cheap Shimano centrelock hubs, plus countless Novatech / Formula based OEM wheelsets that came with bikes. All with some sort of issue or other.

Nothing has come anywhere close to my current DT Swiss XM1501 wheelset. I haven’t needed to touch them in 3,000 miles. £900 but I managed to bag an OEM pair for £450 in a Merlin Cycles sale. Bargain of the century.

Rubber_Buccaneer

How about the fight to get tyres on and off with foam inserts – any experiences?

I’ve found DT as straightforward as it is going to get.  No problems mounting tyres and inserts on any rim but when it comes to getting the tyre off again DT have been fine, Spank with their serrated bead grip thing notably more tricky and some Light Bicycle rims with very pronounced shoulders in the rim bed to keep the bead in place were an extended wrestling match that I wouldn’t want to repeat very often

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Tough 29er alloy wheels? DT Swiss, Newmen, who else?’ is closed to new replies.