Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Totem rebound too fast
  • WackoAK
    Free Member

Recently picked up an Intense Uzzi from ebay that has a coil totem, I've noticed that even on the slow setting the rebound is way too fast. Anyone have any experience of this?

A quick google suggests that there is probably too much oil in the fork?

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Oil needs to be thicker for your weight & the spring fitted.

hora
    Free Member

Rebound and/or seals blown. Depending on how it was described speak to the seller unless you've already left feedback.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I think it may be the oil weight, the guy was a good bit heavier than me so that could explain it. On the fastest setting the fork "tops out"

The first ride I had on it was at the Fort WIlliam DH track and had a couple of offs so there is always the issue that I damaged it..

IA

You don't change the oil weight on totems to change the damping.

It's either knackered seals, or too much or too little in the top of the MiCo leg. (possibly as a result of A).

When were the forks last serviced? Also on totems it pays to stick to the lower leg maintenance schedules.

Time to whip them apart for a look-see. Manuals on the RS site, you'll need a syringe (the speedlube one will do) some 5wt and some 15wt fork oil. Some fork grease will help matter along, but not essential. Also a hammer, set of allen keys and a 6 point socket to fit the top cap. Or be VERY carefully with a big spanner, they're made of cheese. If you're half way competent it'll take you an hour or two the first time.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Cheers IA, I'm a mechanical incompetent so it's LBS time.

hora
    Free Member

From firsthand experience of Rockshox forks it does sound like they've blown the seals and/or the rebound's gone.

How long since you bought them?

the guy was a good bit heavier than me so that could explain it

Instead of running a heavier spring the lad could have added more oil in. If you put too much oil in its not going to be kind to the forks and cause the seals to blow.

WackoAK
    Free Member

They are pretty much unridden, thinking about it more I've probably damaged something on the downhill track as I was never aware of the fork feeling strange until I had a spin round GT on wednesday and the first thing that happened was when dropping off a log the fork made a horrendous topping out noise when I lifted the front end and the rebound adjuster pinged off the bottom.

I was planning on gettng the mechanic at the LBS to fettle with them anyway.

LoCo
    Free Member

Full service time, need clean, strip, inspection and fresh oil in correct amounts.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Totem rebound too fast’ is closed to new replies.