Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 206 total)
  • Tory MP calls police plebs
  • MSP

It perhaps depends if the officer was helpful and friendly, or condescending and smug. The police can be experts in using language and tone to get a rise out of someone while knowing it will sound perfectly reasonable and polite when recited afterwards.

I suspect this is a case of half a dozen of one and six of the other, I don’t believe either sides account.

wrecker
    Free Member

We’re speculating that it’s just a pedestrian gate. It could be the pedestrian and cyclists gate (which is what it sounds like from the officers report). NOting wrong with that. Why open a very large gate when the cyclist could fit comfortably through the other one?
    Even if it’s a pedestrian gate, it’s not unreasonable to expect a cyclist to dismount when entering and exiting Downing street is it?

adjective
    going or performed on foot; walking.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

NOting wrong with that. Why open a very large gate when the cyclist could fit comfortably through the other one?

Because he didn’t want to leave his ego behind?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

rogerthecat – Member

Oh joy Millipede et al are now demanding a full Parliamentary Enquiry

Have you got a link which reports that Miliband is demanding a “full Parliamentary Enquiry” ? I can’t find any news provider which is carrying that story.

If you had read the post rather than leaping with such glee to beat me with the “Erni Stick of Self Righteous Indignation” you would have seen that I did mention it was reported on R4 this morning. That is BBC R4 and, if I could really be bothered to go find it for you I am sure it’s on iPlayer somewhere, if you take a moment to look you may find it. Otherwise, I will just have to accept that you are accusing me of making it up. Perhaps there is a job for me in SO6?

CMD’s inaction speaks volumes but is anyone really surprised.

What “inaction” ? Do you think Cameron should have sacked Mitchell ? Without any sort of investigation? It is normal to investigate things before sacking people.

Wow, bit of a leap there old chap – no I don’t think he should be sacked without proof. However, I have yet to hear CMD state that getting all sweary at one of HM Plod is not in the rules and he would jolly well get to the bottom of this matter. Again if you had done me the courtesy of reading my post before leaping to conclusions like a political gazelle, you would have noticed that I had not called for him to be sacked anywhere in my post.
    😀

D0NK

At the end of the day he was on a vehicle.

yep and the copper told him that it was against policy, if this was true AM should have written/spoken to whoever set the policy. Ranting and swearing at coppers is likely to get anyone who isn’t a politician arrested.

if a policeman stops you from going about your legal business for no good reason other than because being a policeman gives him the power to do so, then that’s an abuse of power

forgive my ignorance but are random stop and searches of pedestrians/motorists/cyclists a thing of the past? Pretty sure they used to happen, my mate used to get pulled over all the time and asked for paperwork, seemingly just because he was a young man wearing a baseball cap in an expensive car.

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y[/video]

loum
    Free Member

no I don’t think he should be sacked without proof

Out of interest, what would you consider a satisfactory level of proof for an incident like this?

For the record, I’m not saying he should be sacked, I’m just curious about what you consider constitutes sufficient “proof”.

kimbers

im just waiting for the sun to unearth some of the public witnesses if they come out and say that he used the P word hes doomed

though obviously the sun ? proof

davidjones15
    Free Member

for mr jones

QED

Gorehound
    Free Member

Don’t know if this has already been mentioned ( really CBA to trawl through all the inevitable loony lefty ball locks) but how many people on here have called the police far worse names than pleb for doing their duty.

binners

Phew! Thank God you’re here Gorehound. Some sensible, proportionate and balanced reasoning, at long last!

how many people on here have called the police far worse names than pleb for doing their duty.

Well if they have, they’ll have been arrested. And depending on how severe it was, they might have ‘fallen down some steps’ on the way into the station. Just to save you having to RATS. Thats the general gist

mikeconnor
    Free Member

I suspect this is a case of half a dozen of one and six of the other, I don’t believe either sides account.

It’s a load of nonsense. If the police didn’t arrest the MP at the time, for an offence, then they should just keep quiet and let it go. Making a fuss about it after the fact is a purely political move, and has nothing to do with law and order. It’s farcical. Who loses out are all of us. All becoasue a couple of stupid egos clashed.

Gorehound
    Free Member

how many people on here have called the police far worse names than pleb for doing their duty.

Well if they have, they’ll have been arrested. And depending on how severe it was, they might have ‘fallen down some steps’ on the way into the station. Just to save you having to RATS. Thats the general gist

Binners do you really think the police arrest everyone who calls them names?

julianwilson
    Free Member

I think you should try, Gorehound. If it goes badly, I am not sure you will be allowed to post from your smartphone in the cells to tell us all about it though.

Seriously though, the police report suggests it is a bit worse than calling an officer a pig and blowing a rasberry. In fact, bordering on a public order offence.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Binners do you really think the police arrest everyone who calls them names?

I’ve seen it on Police Camera Action and Coppers With Cameras. So, yeah, it does happen. So there Mr Rightwing Pants.

Junkyard
    Free Member

how many people on here have called the police far worse names than pleb for doing their duty

I would guess at very few/none-remember this place is literally awash with lefties so we would have have used PC language and this has no swear words as the thought police forbid it.

Perhaps you could ask on the EDL website and see what they say about exactly where the line is ?

cookeaa

I do love these non-stories they run and run, the ones with class indignation all over them are the very best IMO!

Lets people get in a proper Tizzy

Look a Public school educated Tory type, with an over developed sense of entitlement… Get Him!

The real question what Evil Deeds are the Con/Dems masking with this pretend story?

First time buyers Mortgages guaranteed against their parents Pensions seems a far nastier policy to my mind, or Nick Cleggs apology for being a generally shifty. lying twunt seem much bigger news than some git having been given the job of being a proffesional MP bully (Presumably because he has a tallent for it) acting true to type….

What else is being mostly ignored during this “News Cycle”?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I do love these non-stories they run and run

yup, because people keep talking and talking about them so they run and run – thanks for keeping it going.

cookeaa

thanks for keeping it going

I aim to please…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I guess if people keep talking and talking about them, then they are indeed newsworthy. If they were “non-stories”, well, then, hey, people would get bored and move on.

cookeaa

Perhaps but my question was genuine, what else is being ignored/dropped down the broadcast schedules or put a few pages further back in the papers, due to this one growwing legs and running?

*Also I am going to have to use that Donald Sutherland picture at least once a week on some STW thread or another with a caption to suit the topic from now on… Sorry but there are just too many possibilities.

binners

If I shouted at a copper that they were a ****ing moron, amongst other things, in a completely unprovoked* verbal assault, then yes, I reckon you could safely bank on a night in the cells

* if we obviously discount a monstrous sense of entitlement

THIS is the whole point of the outburst Gorehound. Its what it symbolises. The message it sends out. Not least in its choice of vocabulary

kimbers

the guy behaved like a tit and got caught out

the police trying to fight the governments cuts and ultimate sell off of their service leaked to the press

mitchell tried to bullshit his way out of it, this made the press & public more interested
    cameron leapt to his defense without fully appreciating that the guy had lied and the damage to the tory image

so it runs and runs……….

binners

Last time Call-me-Dave leapt to someones defense like this, it was Andy Coulson

That went well. I expect this one to go much the same way

wrecker
    Free Member

So, is this officially named Plebgate?
    It’s gotta be. There can be no better name.

binners

Gategate?

wrecker
    Free Member

Plebgategate?

allthepies
    Free Member

It was Jeremy Hunt actually 🙂

cookeaa

I think we need to consider some Combo’s

“DuckhouseCashforquestionsPlebGate…. Gate”

rogerthecat
    Free Member

loum – Member

no I don’t think he should be sacked without proof

Out of interest, what would you consider a satisfactory level of proof for an incident like this?

For the record, I’m not saying he should be sacked, I’m just curious about what you consider constitutes sufficient “proof”.

Well, I can only speak for myself and not for CMD of course, or what would constitute proof if this went legal.

But if it were a decision within my power to make, I would suggest a corroborating third party statement (preferably from a non SO6 source) or CCTV (find it hard to believe that none exists in that area and especially around points of access) or some such independent source.

Not sure I would be entirely happy with just the officer’s statement as it leaves the whole matter a tit for tat argument.

In the meantime I would be getting all Malcolm Tucker on him behind closed doors however.

Lovely bit of pr for CMD & the gang.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

rogerthecat – Member

If you had read the post rather than leaping with such glee to beat me with the “Erni Stick of Self Righteous Indignation” you would have seen that I did mention it was reported on R4 this morning.

Yes I read did your post and concluded that if Miliband had indeed called for a full Parliamentary Inquiry then other news providers would have covered it – it would be quite an important development.

But I could find none so asked you if you had a link, a perfectly reasonable request which hardly warrants personal insults from you.

Although I’m starting to understand why someone like you might not have an issue with a senior politician telling a public servant “Best you learn your **** place….You’re **** plebs”.

rogerthecat – Member

Again if you had done me the courtesy of reading my post before leaping to conclusions like a political gazelle, you would have noticed that I had not called for him to be sacked anywhere in my post.

Perhaps it’s you who needs to read posts before commenting. I did not jump to conclusions, I asked you questions – do you understand the significance of a question mark ? as in : ❓

I said : “what “inaction” ? Do you think Cameron should have sacked Mitchell ?” in response to your statement that “CMD’s inaction speaks volumes.” You are now claiming that by inaction you meant that Cameron hadn’t condemned Mitchell behaviour, which is obviously complete bollox.

But then I suppose people like you just make it up as you go long, so I guess I can hardly expect to hear a coherent argument.

julianwilson
    Free Member

In the meantime I would be getting all Malcolm Tucker on him behind closed doors however.

Yes indeed 😀 , but he is the Tucker figure for the Conservative Party at the moment. Who would you get to go all Malcolm Tucker on Malcolm Tucker?

wrecker
    Free Member

oooohhhhhh bbbbiiiiinnnneeeerrrrrrssss

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Yes indeed , but he is the Tucker figure for the Conservative Party at the moment. Who would you get to go all Malcolm Tucker on Malcolm Tucker?

Ernie probably. 😀

nacho
    Free Member

I despise all politicans equally so you could say an unbiased view here 🙂
    If I spoke to a policeman like that I would expect to be arrested, although TBF to the officer involved to arrest a chief whip for a fairly minor offence could mean BIG repercussions, I don’t think many would have. Shame really as that would have been a great story.
    He should have been arrested. He wasn’t so really it should be forgotten about. Apart from the fact he is a (famous?) politician and publicy lying. But don’t all politicians lie anyway?
    So basically us plebs can certainly expect to be arrested in the same situation but the lying cheating two faced *****s that rule us can say whatever they like to any pleb, be he in uniform or not. Then if they are found out just deny it, like they deny everything else. Barstewards all of them.

Junkyard
    Free Member

don’t all politicians lie anyway

yes [ or spin massively] but that is no reason to ignore it when we have proof.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@Ernesto I appear to owe you an unreserved apology as I seem to have caused you some upset.

It may be a consequence of my upbringing but I found your initial response to my post to be a little brusque and of a tone that felt aggressive in the context of other posts in this thread and not, as you have now pointed out, a polite request. I was brought up to use terms such as please, thank you, would you mind, do you have, etc as they are a not confrontational in the written form and seldom misconstrued.

I clearly misunderstood and I chose to poke a little fun at you rather than respond in kind.

Now that you have explained that it was not your intent to be confrontational but merely inquisitive, I would be happy to find some links as you requested, here they are:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/09/25/263406/probe-urged-into-insult-to-uk-police/

This is a referral to the Parliamentary Standards Committee and may have been included in the news item: http://www.politicus.org.uk/news/labour-mp-refers-andrew-mitchell-to-parliamentary-standards-commissioner_649

Covered here in the Torygraph : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/9564688/David-Cameron-accused-of-cover-up-over-Andrew-Mitchell-police-rant.html

FT; http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b2df76d2-0662-11e2-abdb-00144feabdc0.html#axzz27Va0hclt

And, from the Independent:

Labour MP Bill Esterson has written to the parliamentary commissioner for standards, Sir John Lyon, demanding he investigate whether Mr Mitchell broke the MPs’ code of conduct.

Mr Esterson said: “David Cameron is showing himself too weak to sort this out. He is refusing to detail what happened and refusing to ask for the Cabinet Secretary to investigate.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-cameron-backs-andrew-mitchell-over-police-row-8166963.html

And the news report I heard on the BBC this morning. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01mvy0c/Today_24_09_2012/

Once again, many apologies – love and hugs, Me xxx

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I can see that you didn’t fully read my post rogerthecat, if you had, you would have noticed that I was fully aware that a referral to the parliamentary commissioner for standards had been made to see whether Mitchall broke the MP’s code of conduct. I don’t think that’s quite the same as a full Parliamentary Inquiry.

Here’s my previous post and I’ve underlined the relevant text :

ernie_lynch – Member

Have you got a link which reports that Miliband is demanding a “full Parliamentary Enquiry” ? I can’t find any news provider which is carrying that story.

Certainly the Police Federation has been leading the calls for an inquiry into the behaviour of the Chief Whip, which Labour has supported, and there has been a request to the parliamentary commissioner for standards to investigate whether Mitchall broke the MP’s code of conduct. But I can’t see any references to Miliband calling for a “full Parliamentary Enquiry”

Posted 11 hours ago #

Nobby

So you’re more familiar with the gates protocol in downing St than a member of the police specifically detailed with the protection of the residents and visitors to Downing St then?

I never said I did, it’s a simple case of when I had the pleasure(?) of visting said address about 3 years ago we were told that the right hand pedestrian gate was for dignitaries, the left for visitors & the main gates for vehicular access. The left hand gate is where the Police Security booth is stuated.

There are even gates you go through to get to the main gates.

D0NK

right hand pedestrian gate was for dignitaries toffs, the left for visitors plebs

😉

So was AM asked to use the toffgate or the plebgate?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 206 total)

The topic ‘Tory MP calls police plebs’ is closed to new replies.