Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Torridon with the misses
  • vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

So the misses booked 2 nights in the Torridon hotel for my xmas box and were heading up this week. question is which route/routes to do if your only there for short time.

Also the misses hasnt been out much this year through one thing or another. what would be the best ride for simple ‘just a dam good day’

scotroutes

Drive to Poolewe and cycle to either Bad Bog or Carnmore bothy. Pop into the Bridge cafe for cake

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

Cheers for that – will check it out once renew OS subscription (bloody thing expired yesterday!)

rickon
    Free Member

The cycle around Ben Damph is pretty straight forward, a good day out, if you’ve not been riding much maybe 5 hours. Take a map, compass, food, water, and waterproof.

Its also an amazing ride, scenic, pretty, and great views.

felltop

The ride around Ben Damph is not a straightforward as it was, the descent from the bealach is pretty washed out now, so be prepared for a fair bit of downhill walking.

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

Cheers guys, what about the 2011 mbr route? Annat? Straight forward or in a bit of a state after winter?

tomd
    Free Member

If you only want to do a couple of hours, heading up the track from Annat to the Loch an Eoin for a look around and back down is an excellent ride. You get great views and one of the classic descents.

For a good day out, there are loads of options but it depends on fitness and how much hike-a-bike and gnarr you want. Two of my favourites are:

For big day out the “lollipop” route (Annat > Beallach na Lice > Coire Grannda > Achnaschellach > Bellach na Lice) is just amazing but is tough. There are easier variations, like taking the track through Coullin Forest and back over the Beallach na Lice.

I really enjoy the out and back ride from Kenmore to Applecross. It’s no overly techy but just nice trails and great views. There are good cafes / pubs in Applecross. Just a nice day out on the bike.

grum
    Free Member

I was advised not to bother with the Ben Damph route recently. +1 for Applecross.

towzer

bit ot anyway,I (old, incompetent) really enjoyed Applecross to Kenmore (you could then road S and come back over other track but I can’t vouch for that – it is higher) then have a pint at the pub

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Kenmore to Applecross is superb. And only a few short techy sections and loads of lovely singeltrack. Lunch in the pub and ride back – it feels totally different the other way round. There’s also some cool beaches south of Applecross, worth an explore. As others have said, the lollipop is pretty full on and Ben Damph, while sorter, is also pretty wild these days. The bigger loop from the Coulin Estate over to Achnashellac and then back over Coulags to Bealch na Lice to Annat is easier, but there’s still some pretty lumpy stuff on the drops to Achnashellac and to Annat. Drop me an email if I can help more…

Gilles

I will second the Applecross-Kenmore – not too long and very wild!

Here my ride from last year:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQGehxrjjxY[/video]

grum
    Free Member

Nice vid. How could I possibly have missed an opportunity to do this though? 🙂

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/torridon-overhyped-long-pic-heavy

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Good one Grum – great pics. And nice vid Gilles too… wish I was there now 🙂

Fat-boy-fat

Having done an “easy” version of the Lollipop route last weekend, the Annat descent is not washed out, it was top bombing. The climb up from Achnashallach (?) though, ouchie.

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

Excellent – cheers guys. Both the lollie (tamed down a bit) and the kenmore/applecross sound great. Will ask the boss. And see what she fancies. That way won’t be my fault if she doesn’t like it 😉

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

PS – just had chance to watch the Gilles vid and look at grum’s blog. so excited.

2 days in aviemore then up to Torridon! cannot be bad

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

all just a quick thanks for those who recommended the kenmore/applecross route. Was an epic day out, trails was in great nick and hardly a sole on it. Unfortunately the misses fractured a bone in her had six feet from the car at the end of the day. But till that point smiles all round.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Torridon with the misses’ is closed to new replies.