Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Torridon trip in 2weeks
  • dumbbot
    Free Member

evening all,

Got my very first weeks biking holiday to Torridon booked for the end of August and i’m starting to get a little excited/apprehensive about it. Obviously conditions over the past couple of weeks have been dire so i’m expecting a wet one, i am limited to one large holdall pulls riding pack so do you have an essentials that i must remember to take or any other general tips appreciated.

So far my list is..Bike, Smidge, waterproof shorts, earplugs

Currently more on the apprehensive side as I totally overthink things, about my fitness and abilities etc but i’m sure once a get my eye in…it’ll be fine.

Clink

Who with? Myself and mate might be on the same trip…

dumbbot
    Free Member

Go where Scotland, you better not snore..

dufusdip
    Free Member

Get a midgie head net too. They’re particularly vicious this year.

Mech hanger, spare brake pads?

dumbbot
    Free Member

Yup, got those thanks.

kevt

Tick remover

duncancallum

Buffs a couple are handy as neck or head wear for keeping midgesout of hair or tops

Skin so soft

Sudacream

Anti histamines

Oh and a camera

highlandman
    Free Member

Knee pads. Choice of gloves. Choice of shoes; your feet ‘might’ get wet.
    Take a buff or similar as a head/neck warmer.
    Woolly hat. Suncream.
    Your toughest tyres.
    Large grin.

Clink

Yep, same trip! See you up there. I’ll DM you. All good advice.

tall_martin

I went and stayed at the free campsite by the loch last year.

I’m scottish and have never seen so many midges.

A) Bug repellent
    B) Don’t get caught outside at dusk!
    C) The trails were fantastic 🙂

lowey

I went and stayed at the free campsite by the loch last year.

I camped there 4 years ago. Midge Armageddon.

duncancallum

Rule 1

Don’t camp in Torridan….

I tend to camp as close to the coast as possible and drive in.

That sites free for a reason….

GavinB

A couple of us rode there two summers ago around this time. On driving back up towards Kinlochewe we saw two guys running towards us waving their arms wildly. We assumed it was an emergency of some sort – either a car crash or a climbing accident and they were needing help, so stopped. They completely ignored us and just ran straight past us, which was when we noticed the huge swarm of midges around them.

It’s a braver man than me that camps there at this time of year!

aide

Inner tubes, – torridon just seems to eat them up, I think the rocks are in some kinda satanic deal with the midgies up there. Think it’s the quickest I have ever changed tubes. Don’t even think tubeless would work up there

Clink

Luckily we’re not camping!

GolfChick
    Free Member

If you can spare some space how about some old newspaper? That way overnight you can shove some in your shoes to try to aid drying them out a little ready for the next day.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Well the stoke levels are rising with a fellow STW’er join on the trip, looking forward to meeting Clink and his pal. I am delightful company so lucky them 😛

I was going to take those boot banana things to help dry/un-stink my five tens. I have a Double down carcass on the rear, extra PSI will be going in, a fresh sealant top and i’ve used those dynaplug things to good effect on friends punctures before but im hoping i dont need them myself..will chuck a few tubes obviously though.

I am hoping the midgies will have all drowned with the rain, failing that i am from Glasgow therefore hard as **** and will fight them all.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Tubeless is fine there in my experience. Trails are fine in the wet too.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I was there last week, kayak touring not riding. The midges were some of the worst I’ve seen.

frogstomp

dumbbot : Go where Scotland

Just back off their Border Patrol (Tweed Valley) trip and we had a cracking time – professional but flexible. Has to be up there in my top 2 of biking weeks away.. you’ll have a great time!

If you have Paul and / or Davey guiding you be sure to enquire as to the best way to catch a haggis! 😜 (no, really, do! 🤣)

judderman
    Free Member

Looking forward to meeting you dumbbot, I hope your bringing plenty of bum butter…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Torridon trip in 2weeks’ is closed to new replies.