• This topic has 24 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by typer.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Torridon on Ebike?
  • bren2709

Looking to do a Torridon trip but we have an Ebike in our group. Are the routes suitable for such a bike or do they involve hike a bike?

geex
    Free Member

You’re overthinking it
    it’s just a slightly heavier bike which happens to have a motor.

tall_martin

I wouldn’t fancy heaving an e bike up some bits I did last summer.

Instead I hoofed my 37lb bike with frame bag and bar bag (+7kg) up it all.

The bike +bags must be pushing e bike weight.

Where’s there a will there’s a way 😀

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

There’s a steep rock step carry/shoulder the bike section at the head of a valley on Achnashellach loop that may be hard work.It will be worth the effort though-it’s a stunning place to ride.

bren2709

Overthinking 😂😂😂
    Lad in question would take the easy option and not go, but if I’ve got the information to say they’re doable with limited push/carry.
    Cheers guys

scotroutes

Seeing as how there’s a group of you, you can always help at any particularly difficult sections.

mucker

As Torridon is a designated “Area of outstanding natural beauty” Ebikes are banned under the current EU wilderness funding formula. #ebikesforbrexit.

bren2709

Seriously and would this be challanged on the day?

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆

somafunk

I’m sure I heard the ebike planning and exploratory committee were going to install ebike charging points every 10 miles on the torridon loop.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My mate Ksawery did it recently on his ebike, reckons it was a bit tougher but not much.

Be fine.

jameso

People hike-a-bike with loaded touring bikes that weigh 45-50lbs. Same?

Spin
    Free Member

People hike-a-bike with loaded touring bikes that weigh 45-50lbs. Same?

Fine if you’re pushing, less so if you need to carry! Can’t remember much carrying on the classic Torridon loop but there’s a fair bit on the lollipop variation.

akira

Does his ebike have the walking/pushing option? It helps a huge amount.

sprocker
    Free Member

I was there on Saturday did the lollipop route, I would not fancy carrying an ebike up some of it, I am sure the rest of you can help if need be. Awesome riding to be had

scud
    Free Member

Someone may be able to help me out with the name, but there is one of the UK’s longest descents in Torridon i think, involves about an hour of hikeabike for the final section up and over, but brilliant route, if i could only remember the name?

jameso

Fine if you’re pushing, less so if you need to carry!

True, but I have done it up some big hills. Not easy but that amount of weight isn’t the problem. It’s more about padding the right parts to get a comfy carry that spreads the load.

oldejeans
    Free Member
    chakaping
    Free Member

Long descent from MCD all the way to Annat, about 30mins IIRC.

Had a go for the Strava KOM a few years ago (lost it since I’m sure), it’s by no means all downhill.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Having just done it…
    Waste of time, you will still ride hardly any of it. Just a heavier bike to push

Spin
    Free Member

Long descent from MCD all the way to Annat, about 30mins IIRC.

The full descent of Coire Lair as done on the lollipop route is possibly longer, certainly more height loss and a more continuous descent.

The one you describe I wouldn’t really class as a single descent although it does have some good riding.

chrispy

Sorry to hijack.
    I am passing by this area early next week and was hoping to sneak in a ride for half a day max.
    What would be the best route to get a taste of riding Torridon?
    Thanks

chakaping
    Free Member

I agree spin, the full run down to achnashellach is probably what was meant and is way better as a total proposition.

The annat descent proper is still my fave though.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

chrispy-this was great fun,took us about 4 hrs to do .There a link to Strava route in description.

Torridon Small Loop

typer
    Free Member

I’m going to Torridon again in three weeks……. I wish I had an ebike haha.

You’ll be fine 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Torridon on Ebike?’ is closed to new replies.