Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Torrenting? Get It Right.
  • plyphon
    Free Member

As is accessing the dodgy streaming sites via Kodi

The benefit of Kodi being you don’t have to visit the dodgy site, it just loads the player for said site.

No different to someone uploading episode of stuff on Youtube for you to watch until a copywrite person catches up and removes it.

aracer
    Free Member

An interesting discussion in itself, if (thankfully) we’re all grown up enough to discuss this without anybody getting upset. My understanding is that the way most people used VCRs was totally legal. I presume taping from the radio wasn’t, as the copyright involved works differently and there isn’t the specific time shift exemption.

I reckon photocopiers in libraries is a bit of red herring though, as whilst doubtless they do get used illegally, the intention is certainly that their use should be covered by “fair dealing”.

Of course whilst it is correct to argue that streaming and torrenting is not itself illegal, it’s also reasonable to point out that the vast majority of it is in at least a technical sense. I think most things I’ve ever torrented have been technically illegal, though mostly I have owned the copyright to the IP in some form (the only obvious exceptions being Linux distros as mentioned above, though I’ve only torrented them a couple of times – the ones I’m interested in tend to be available as direct downloads).

Cougar

as km79 says, torrent is a delivery/sharing method, it’s what you torrent that may get you into trouble.

It’s not just that. The argument is that it’s illegal to share copyrighted material but not illegal to consume it.

How watertight that argument is, I have no idea; to the best of my knowledge it’s never been tested in court. “Yes Mr Cougar, you stand accused of taping numbers 16, 12 and 3 of the Top 40 from Radio 1, how do you plead?”

D0NK

It’s not just that. The argument is that it’s illegal to share copyrighted material but not illegal to consume it.

I was under the impression that torrenting as default was always sharing, you download chunk 1 and while you’re DLing the rest of the file chunk1 is shared. So you can’t “consume” only via torrent. There are probably ways to purely leech, dunno tho.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So looking at legal options (everyone wants legal options don’t they?)
    https://play.google.com/store/movies/details/Doctor_Strange_2016?id=cYEoYjQLn24
    Not sure about regions but
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/channels/offers/signup/ref=atv_channels_mig?ie=UTF8&benefitID=hbo – HBO Sub from amazon prime
    and Showtime
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/channels/offers/signup/ref=atv_channels_mig?ie=UTF8&benefitID=showtimeSub
    That is a lot of content. As I understand some of up longer term rights deals were signed to the likes of Sky that means they have to expire before the online platforms can release everything online an cut the broadcast guys out of first place.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

1mb download speed means torrenting is the only way to watch some stuff. When’s this 10mb countrywide roll out. That’s what I want to know

ulysse
    Free Member

So Plusnet are gonna bum me for using a Soulseek client….

stgeorge

So, hypothetically speaking of course, for someone who was only ever familiar with the Pirate Bay, where would one start now?

Magnet Bay

bigG
    Free Member

stgeorge – Member

So, hypothetically speaking of course, for someone who was only ever familiar with the Pirate Bay, where would one start now?

Magnet Bay

Or Pirate Bay Proxy

iffoverload
    Free Member

I dont torrent anything but if I did download somebodys music I would send them a PP gift for their work 🙂

but its quite likely I might forget to include a donation to the parasitic distribution network…

GrahamS

I torrented a bunch of films just last week, for the kids to watch on their hudls on a four hour bus transfer (hence Kodi is no good).

It was very easy. Zen don’t (as far as I noticed) block Pirate Bay or torrent traffic. Downloads of good quality HD movies took around 10-15 minutes.

I don’t feel remotely guilty as they were all movies we watched in the cinema and/or own on DVD anyway. Disney/Pixar/Dreamworkd etc have had more than their pound of flesh from me!

deadkenny
    Free Member

snownrock – Member 
    People still download illegal content? As per your post haven’t Kodi etc rendered downloading irrelevant?

Just swapping illegal downloading for illegal streaming. Oh, of course everyone’s paying for those official streaming app subscriptions aren’t they? Hmm 😉

Anyway, most the torrent search engines seem to be thoroughly killed. Not sure if that’s a mass attempt to kill them at source or ISPs blocking them (certainly mainly dead on PlusNet).

Torrents illegal? No. Most torrents I download are legit downloads of large software distributions.

Though it’s far less relevant these days with content delivery networks (Akamai etc), ISP caching and such. Some of the little guys with limited money for hosting or paying CDN bills still rely on torrents though.

The main “not quite legit” torrents I look for are obscure or antique TV shows or films that just aren’t available on any other media, or bootleg concert stuff. Some of the latter is even sanctioned by some bands.

zokes
    Free Member

“Yes Mr Cougar, you stand accused of taping numbers 16, 12 and 3 of the Top 40 from Radio 1, how do you plead?”

Guilty to a terrible taste in music, m’lud

palaganda

Loads of legal material at archive.org , old film, TV and lots of live music. Torrent or download.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Torrenting? Get It Right.’ is closed to new replies.