Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Torque wrenches – 1/4″ or 3/8″
  • devash
    Free Member

I’m looking to pick up a better torque wrench in the 2nm-25nm range or similar and see that a few come with a choice of ratchet head size. I need to pick up some new bits at the same time as my current ones are cheapo Silverline jobs that have seen better days.

Which size would you go for for bike work like stems, axles, and linkage bolts? 1/4″ or 3/8″?

nickc

It really doesn’t matter as far as I can tell when it comes to MTB maintenance. I’m pretty sure it’s designed just so that when you go to Halfords or B&Q  to buy a new bit, you have to stand there like a dummy for ten minutes either 1, trying to remember which size driver you have at home, 2. wondering whether it’s worth buying two bits JIC, 3, additionally to 2 weighing up the pros of cons of option 2 to your spouse when they ask why you have 2 bits the same size…

I went for 1/2″ just so I could pretend to be Dave from the Winchester “Hello Arfer…”

timba
    Free Member

You can buy adaptors 1/4 male to 3/8 female. Mine are both 3/8 drives but the sockets are bulkier than 1/4 sockets, which can be a pain

Aidy
    Free Member

I find a 3/8ths and a hex bit driver to be a pretty good combination.

reeksy

For bikes I’d definitely buy 1/4” and a separate 1/4” socket set kit. Way cheaper to get all the bits in a kit and have useful attachments to get things started.

droplinked

I’ve got a 1/4″ for bikes and a 1/2″ for cars.

All the little portable bike multi-tool ratchet sets are 1/4″ if that impacts your decision.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I’d love to know where you found a 1/2″ torque driver which went as low as 2nms!! I’ve got 3/8″ norbar for bike duties and then a halfords professional 1/2″ for higher range. Then got adapter if I need to use 1/4″ sockets.

DrJ

…and … any recommendations for good quality bit sets?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Never mind 1/2″, I didn’t know you could get 3/8″ down to 2Nm! Personally I’d go for 1/4″ for form factor.

Halfords Advanced 1/4″

That’s a better version of the one I have.

coatesy
    Free Member

Good quality bit sets? Try RS Components for Wera Screwdriver bits/bit sets, and Facom 1/4″ drive bit holders (I think Wera holders are hex fitting for their own ratchets, and i’d avoid Facom bits as they’re a bit pony).

timba
    Free Member

You can drift worn bits out of Halfords Advanced 3/8 drive hex key sockets and replace them with a new standard 1/4″ screwdriver bit. I don’t know if that’s applicable to their 1/4 drive sets

I didn’t know you could get 3/8″ down to 2Nm!

My obsolete Norbar TT20 3/8 does 1Nm, the current TTi20 starts at 4Nm though

jamiemcf

I’ve a bahco 1/4″ set that I like. Mini power bar, ratchet and driver handles. Loads of sockets
    I then got a 1/4″ torque wrench.

I have a 1/2″ socket set, just a Clark’s one. For my 1/2 duties it’s sufficient

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.