torque wrench required- mtb not car!

Home Forum Bike Forum torque wrench required- mtb not car!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • torque wrench required- mtb not car!
  • jacob46

grahamS

just what im looking for. its only for the stem and such like. I think the machine mart and Halfords ones are a bit too heavy handed.

cheers

jacob46

Nice and small in a case.
    The ones I’ve looked at CRC are expensive.

poonprice

I think to get a well calibrated torque wrench you will spend quite a bit of cash. When I was look think they were around £150

jacob46

just found Bontrager 5Nm Torque Wrench.

should be ok for stem and bars

Premier Icon mugsys_m8
    Subscriber

I bought an effetto supposedly bling one from wiggle. The bits aren’t well machined, the cut outs in the box used for other sets makes it look like something is missing, the magnet in the hole to hold the bits has come unstuck. Found out last night the 3mm allen head bit does not even fit 3mm allen heads………

…..

orangeboy

Topeak do a useful digital one but its about £100-120 iirc
    Does work well though

I’d not bother with the cheap thing in the pic above

jacob46

Orange boy

Can you check out the bounty one for me?

5Nm

Shibboleth

I have one of those little Bontrager Torque Keys like this…

It’s spot on for stem bolts etc. I also have the Giant ‘proper’ torque wrench which is pretty good value, seems well made and works.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

I’d not bother with the cheap thing in the pic above

Why?

How accurate does it really need to be? Your seatpost isn’t going to explode if you do it up to 6.2Nm instead of 6.

orangeboy

Seen a fair few busted seat post and bars and the odd fork from people over doing it.
    The differnace of a few nm is quite a lot

beaker2135

Mighty Torque Wrench

I just bought one of these seemed like a good buy to me £37.24

turneround

norbar are the best. i got one of these:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1375312&CMP=KNC-GUK-FUK-GEN-LISTINGS&gross_price=true&mckv=YKMwxwd8|pcrid|14164337469|plid|{placement}

from ebay for £50, it was a recalibrated one.

You don’t need a bike specific one like the Park. Although, it is nice 🙂

Just get one that does fairly low 2Nm to 15Nm and something to fill the gap for the cassette/BB up to 50Nm. Job done.

It don’t need to be mega accurate and calibrated every week. But I really think a Torque wrench is worth having. You have no idea how tight something is just by feeling.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

True, but are you saying that Topeak one could be out by as much as 3Nm??

That’s quite a margin of error on something that will typically be used at 6Nm. I’d be very surprised if it is that inaccurate.

Premier Icon smartay
    Subscriber

Of the top of my head 1/4″unc, roughly 5mm, 8ft/lbs or thats what we torque tooling up to in work, why not by a straight forward 1/4 drive torque wrench

m1kea

Another Norbar TT20 user here

simonbea

Mighty Torque Wrench

This looks to be the same as the Giant one that I have

nealglover

Seen a fair few busted seat post and bars and the odd fork from people over doing it.

How many of those busted seat posts, bars and forks were busted by people over tightening using a cheap torque wrench ?

None ?

dibboid

I have a torque elbow. 🙂 I should really invest in a torque wrench as I know my clicky elbow will fail me one day. 🙂

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

simonbea – Member
    Mighty Torque Wrench

This looks to be the same as the Giant one that I have

And remarkably similar to my BBB wrench too.

For the record I wouldn’t be without it these days. Only bought it because of my carbon bars but use it for most things on the bike now. If it’s got a torque setting on it I’ll try and match it.

orangeboy

You are prob right about the failed stuff I’ve never kept track
    The only incidents I remember are people getting confused with in lb
    And doing things up very tight.

But would be nice if they quoted the accuracy even my snap on ones only get 4-6 %
    And even then not at the very bottom of the scale

To be fair anything is prob better than nothing at all

Of cource where the quoted figures on components are with lube/thread lock or not is a whole new issue

robarnold

Sealey ones off amazon are great value, now £30

Clicky linky

I’ll be asking for one for my birthday next month as I’m a ham fisted gallute

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I’ve had that self same Sealey one on my Amazon wishlist for about three years now. Was the best one I found at the time that covered the right range and was certified.

Premier Icon giantjason
    Subscriber

another vote for the Sealey one from amazon. its surprising how little you need to tighten bolts when you use a torque wrench!

I’ve got a Britool avt 100a,you can get them for around £25-£50 on ebay,lovely thing

Superficial

another vote for the Sealey one from amazon. its surprising how little you need to tighten bolts when you use a torque wrench!

I found the opposite! I bought a torque wrench to check I wasn’t overtightening my stem / bar clamps for my carbon bars. I was surprised to find that the suggested 5nm torque required significantly more force than I was used to using.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘torque wrench required- mtb not car!’ is closed to new replies.