Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Torq wrench.
  • dink
    Free Member

Hello. Got a problem with my bike and I don’t have a torq wrench. A mate is going to fix it for me, but I don’t know what size torq wrench I need. How would I know?

Freester

If you are talking about Torq wrench then really you have to try them for size or tell us what needs fixing then we can probably advise.

If you are talking about a torque wrench than you need one that covers the torque range you need to set the bolt on whatever you are fixing.

HTH

oldgwegg
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack but while the OP is waiting to reply with more info, what is a torque wrench absolutely necessary for ? I’m trying to do as much to my bike as possible and I decided not to splash out on a torque wrench. Do most people use a torque wrench or can we get around it for most/all things ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IHN

what is a torque wrench absolutely necessary for ?

Nothing (possibly some things on fancy-schmansy carbon parts, but basically nothing)

can we get around it for most/all things ?

Yes.

oldgwegg
    Free Member

Thats good. Where are all the torque wrench brandishing namby pambies now, eh ?

suthy
    Free Member

I have a torque wrench, but I’ve never used it on my bikes!

Oh, and if you want to choose a size, you need to know what the bolts/nuts need torqued to as big wrenches tend to be for big numbers and small for small. They also have different head sizes to suit common socket sizes eg 3/8ths or 1/2 inch

mudshark
    Free Member

Using a torque wrench got me a replacement frame under warranty as Trek were happy that a frame failure wasn’t my fault – they even checked it was calibrated correctly! So I’d say worth using one.

b45her
    Free Member

good old trek, still looking for any excuse not to warranty their shoddy products.
    back on topic, torque wrenches on bikes are generally pointless unless your hanging on a 4mm allen key with a 4ft bar your unlikely to over-torque things too much, they’re just a tool for muppets with no mechanical aptitude or sympathy.

taxi25
    Free Member

Never used one untill I fitted a Campag ultra torque chain set. Did the bolt up that holds the two halfs together to my normal ” nice and tight ” . It creaked like hell. Torqued it up to the recommended torque, ( way tighter than I thought would be enough ) Job sorted.

mrelectric

I went without for years but caved in the find the Superstar one very useful an good value. Just used it to remove and grease all the pivots on my new Canyon FS; invaluable.

orangeboy
    Free Member

If your the sort of person who brakes hope head doctor bolts you need one
    If you have some common sence then most bike bits are fine with out them

nosedive
    Free Member

ok, I admit I am cack handed with a spanner, but i have rounded less bolts since I have had one.

for a bike you need one that takes a 1/4 inch socket and goes down to a minimum of 5nm. I got mine from screwfix but the superstar one looks good value

Northwind

suthy – Member

I have a torque wrench, but I’ve never used it on my bikes!

I use it for my crank end bolts, they’re quite specific about that. Everything else gets the torquefingers.

I checked the rota, apparently it’s my turn to point out that a torque wrench in the hands of people who damage bolts, can be worse than no torque wrench- the reason being, people keep swinging on them way past the point they’d normally stop, just because the wrench hasn’t clicked.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Range can be a problem rotor bolts 5 nm
    SRAM crank bolt somthing like 48-54 nm

wolfrider
    Free Member

I’d imagine the point of a torque wrench on a bike is to make sure things arnt over tightened . But in my line of work I’m using 1000 nm torque wrenches so don’t relay know

iainc

I bought a Giant one when I bought a Giant bike with lots of carbon bits. It was only about £30 (not the bike 😆 ) I also bought one of those wee Ritchey pocket ones for adjusting seatposts and stuff.

I found out though that my other stems etc were all tightened up by ‘feel’ to around 5Nm anyway

Northwind

wolfrider – Member

I’d imagine the point of a torque wrench on a bike is to make sure things arnt over tightened . But in my line of work I’m using 1000 nm torque wrenches so don’t relay know

Are you tightening up the earth’s axis or something 😯

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Torq wrench.’ is closed to new replies.