Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Torq in your Sleep – who's in?
  • adsh
    Free Member

Anyone doing Torq in your Sleep this weekend coming? I’m currently down for the 12hr solo and wondering if I can manage a HT for 12hrs…..

shortcut

Yep I’ll be there!

collostomy
    Free Member

12 hour solo here. Hardtail ridden for 24 hours at Mayhem so 12 hours will only be half as painful 😆

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Yep, 12h solo here.
    I’ve hardly been on the bike since 24/12 so not sure how it’ll go 😆

c_klein87

its bloody hard there on a hardtail, only course I’ve felt beaten up on. im out this year

TomHill
    Free Member

12h solo for me too. I’m “treating myself” and have fitted suspension forks and even going to pop on some gears.

I’ll be part of the huuge Garage Bikes contingent heading down from sunny Leeds.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, team of 3! Hope it stays dry.

benji
    Free Member

Solo for me thinking of doing it on my singlespeed full rigid as well to add to the suffering, never ridden a 12 before so this could be an experience.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Solo for me too. Not feeling terribly energetic or motivated right now!

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Yarp, team of 3 also.
    It’s not going to rain despite what bbc weather says, it’s gonna be nice and dry and awesome.
    Possibly.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Will be there drinking and heckling for a bit.

sarpullido
    Free Member

12 hours solo for me on a hardtail too. Fingers crossed for a good finish

Jason
    Free Member

I will be there.

I did a pre-ride of the course yesterday. Quite a few changes to last year, but all the good sections are there, a few of the new sections used in the Brass Monkey race are in it too. Currently dry and dusty – I think there were one or two small puddles. A small amount of rain will be soaked up by the venue, especially the spongy bits.. Hopefully the forecast on yr.no is wrong!

I have never found the venue too bad on a hardtail, I have also raced it solo fully rigid and I don’t recall it being too brutal, just lots of roots.

adsh
    Free Member

its bloody hard there on a hardtail, only course I’ve felt beaten up on. im out this year

just lots of roots

Looks like light, small wheeled FS then 😀 knew I had it for some reason!

pete68
    Free Member

I’m doing the 12 hour solo vets. BBC weather currently showing Saturday and Sunday as dry. Hopefully they’ll be right for a change. As normal I’ll be on a full sus 29er (Tallboy).

Andy

Yup team of 3, all on Fatbikes for sh!ts and giggles 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Team of 3 was woefully under subscribed last year, looks like a change for this year!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Those doing it solo, do you actually ride almost solid for 12 hours, or do most people typically take breaks?

Doubt I’d manage more than 3 solid round there.

Jason
    Free Member

If you want to be competitive in the solo field then you can’t stop. However lots of people do take breaks during to race for a bit of rest and the chance to eat some normal food. If you look at the results on Timelaps from previous year’s races you will see plenty of slower lap times where people have stopped.

sarpullido
    Free Member

Those doing it solo, do you actually ride almost solid for 12 hours, or do most people typically take breaks?

Doubt I’d manage more than 3 solid round there.

3 12 hours solo race this year. Everyone has been completely different from the other.
    My plan for TORQ is one break for more solid food at around mid race and another break to take the lights. I have only 1 helmet and can’t leave them ready. I normally have no helpers, so changing the bottle of water takes me some extra seconds.
    But these are only plans. During the race anything can happen, upset stomach, weather too hot or too cold, dehydration…

singletrackmind

In
    Part of one of the fareham wheelers team of 3. Will be on a Trek Superfly probably, unless the forcast on Yr.no is correct . In which case it will be a SS Zaskar probably.

stanleigh
    Free Member

Whoop , Whoop , in for the 6hr Single Speed !

david47
    Free Member

In for the 6hr… first attempt solo… 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Forecast I’m seeing looks ok! Fingers crossed…

singletrackmind

Can someone tell me the last lap scenario.
    Is it like the BigDog? 1200 cut off and if your in at 0001 it doesn’t count/
    Or is it like AYTE , if you start at say 2350 , and complete the lap , it counts in your total?

njee20
    Free Member

If I recall it’s like AYTE – go out at 11.59 and that lap counts.

theotherjonv

Yes it’s a ‘long 12’ format, if you get out before the clock it counts.

I soloed last year, self supported, and moving time on garmin was 11 1/4 hours for about 12:09 elapsed time. I could easily have shortened last couple of stops and ridden a bit harder and got another lap, but given the intent was to ‘ride’ for 12 hours almost irrespective of distance, extending to nearly 13 hours didn’t seem that obvious a choice to make. And in spite of that by the time I got into the beer tent the beer was gone anyway…..

Team of 3 this year; barbecues not bar ends will be order of the day.

Jason
    Free Member

I just checked my time from last year’s race. 12:29 moving, 12:37 actual. I was unsupported, so had loads of waterbottles pre-made so I just had to pick up a new one every lap or so. Wasn’t a great race for me as I broke some bones in my hand in a crash the weekend before, so gripping the bar hurt a bit, very glad when it was over.

It is worth mentioning that you can finish before the 12 hours is up. If you get to 11:30 and have had enough you can stop and your result still counts. There is no point lurking, in fact it might even loose you a place or two…

theotherjonv

8 mins off in 12 hours 😯

You are a proper rider though…….

adsh
    Free Member

It is worth mentioning that you can finish before the 12 hours is up. If you get to 11:30 and have had enough you can stop and your result still counts. There is no point lurking, in fact it might even loose you a place or two…

I thought that laps counted more than time in the Gorrick results so giving up at 11.30hrs loses out to doing an extra lap started at 1159 even if it takes until 1am to finish?

BTW I’d like to ride the course tomorrow afternoon if it’s marked a) is this ‘allowed’ and b) where best to park?

Jason
    Free Member

Sorry maybe that was a bit confusing. Laps do count more than time. What I meant was if towards the end you only have enough energy to do one more lap, you are best just to go and do it, rather than sit in the woods and wait for the clock to tick past midnight.

It doesn’t look like Gorrick really want people riding there tomorrow, they have posted on their FB page:

A BIG THANK YOU to all the riders who stayed away from Minley tonight, a big success to keep the Army who are Training on here until 0800 Friday morning.

All who we catch riding the course tomorrow before the event on Saturday will be asked kindly to leave or continue riding after a donation of £5 per rider to the Army Benevolent Fund (ABF) this years chosen Charity!

Happy Riding!

padkinson
    Free Member

I’ll be there, in a mixed team with the rest of the XCracer lot.

Jason, is there still some trackside space available for us (although I suppose it is a lot less necessary in a team)?

Jason
    Free Member

Paddy, we will have a space next to the track, and near the arena, with plenty of space for the XCracer team. Nothing is marked out yet, but it will be sorted on Saturday when the event opens.

padkinson
    Free Member

Ahh nice one.

I’m really looking forward to it, hopefully it’ll be as much fun as Bonty was.

adsh
    Free Member

Thanks for the warning. I’m happy to donate but not if they really don’t want people there this evening

singletrackmind

Thanks
    Looking forward to it , and catching up with friends . In 2 minds as to stay and drink beer or head off home afters .
    should be fun

Andy

Stay and drink beer 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I thought that laps counted more than time in the Gorrick results so giving up at 11.30hrs loses out to doing an extra lap started at 1159 even if it takes until 1am to finish?

Yes, but if you finish before 12 you’re not a DNF, is how I’d think of it, so if you’re really not gonna do the lap you’re better to just finish – ie a person who does 10 laps in 11:30 beats a person who does 10 in 12:30.

benji
    Free Member

but the person who does 10 in 12:30 beats anyone who has only done 9 😉

Muke
    Free Member

Took some photos from the first lap

DSC00119

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Torq in your Sleep – who's in?’ is closed to new replies.