Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Torch, pocket size
  • CheesybeanZ

For some bizarre reason both the in-laws want a bright pocket size torch.
    Rechargeable would be good but not essential.
    Any recommendations?

p7eaven
    Free Member

Bookmarked. Want to get one for Mrs P as she currently nicks my bike light.

Ideally:

USB (not essential)
    Stands on (flat) end-cap
    Warm/neutral white
    Doesn’t cost an organ

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have a look at olight.

modchop
    Free Member

I can recommend the Fenix brand too, depends on budget really.

I’ve had a Fenix PD35 for around 5 years so it’s been superseded now but still going strong, runs on either a rechargeable 18650 or two CR123 primary cells.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I use an O light. Has a very useful flat, magnetic base. It replaced a Fenix that failed after about 18 months.

martymac

Big larry.
    Several sizes, starting around a tennner up to £30 for the super duper rechargeable version.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I’d second fenix, their torches and head torches are pretty indestructible. Also have a look at LED lensar. Both make decent lights

jimw
    Free Member

Do they want a bright spot light or one with a diffuse beam? Is it for walking out at night?
    If a diffuse light I have a couple of these nebo torches which have been very good
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/nebo-ne6373-lil-larry-led-torch-3-x-aaa/9107v

Cougar

If I were getting a pocket torch tomorrow I’d be getting this.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Keychain-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Charging-A1/dp/B07CNWLDGJ/

I’m got a similar one by MecArmy and it’s ace.

mmcd

I have a couple couple of Nitecore e4k’s they seem to fit the bill.

grum
    Free Member

I got one of these and been rather impressed with the build quality etc

£25.94 | ON THE ROAD U16 USB Flashlight Type-C USB Direct Charging mini LED flashlight torch Outdoor Flashlight small

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOKe2TT

It’s quite a floody beam

CountZero

OLight do a range of quality lights, as do Fenix and lots of others. Having a magnetic charging capability is really handy, it has to be said; I’ve got a PowerTac flashlight with that facility, and it beats having to take the battery out to recharge it – there are some with USB-C charging as well, although some, like Imalent have taken a different tack and developed their own high-discharge cells with a USB-C port to charge the battery, which is easier than needing a charger that plugs into the mains.
    Edit: I’d forgotten that there are USB charging leads which have a pair of magnetic contacts on each end, so you can charge any Li-ion cell easily, from a car USB port, or a powerpack. Fenix and OLight do them.

kerbdog
    Free Member

Olight Sr1 baton. compact bright and rechargable. magnetic base and pocket clip which is pretty clever design too.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I’ve got a Skilhunt H04 and it’s amazing. Small, goes from very dim for dark adjusted eyes to incredibly bright. USB rechargeable. Mine’s the RC version for the most diffuse light pattern.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Olight Sr1 baton. compact bright and rechargable. magnetic base and pocket clip which is pretty clever design too.

That’s the one I have. It has three brightness levels (max 500 lm) plus strobe and repeating SOS sequence.

retrorick

I rate the 2 zanflare F1 torches I own. Only paid around £30 each for them. Use one off road and one as an edc.

Cougar

I ordered the “free” (£5 postage) Olight i1R 2 EOS from a Black Friday PSA deal mentioned elsewhere on here. It turned up today.

It’s very similar to the MecArmy one I already have. Maybe 1mm fatter and a few mm shorter, and lighter because aluminium instead of stainless steel. Light output again is broadly similar, ‘low’ maybe slightly lower and high slightly higher but there’s nowt in it really. I expect the same is true of the many, many different manufacturers who are churning out variations on this near-identical form factor.

Well worth it for a fiver, anyway.

singletrackmind

Not answering the questions but i have a nitecore tip keyring torch. Its timy but 300lm
    Enough light to ride by if you have a failure, ok so its 20 tp 25 mins on high but the lower settings are still good
    Great emergency light if you had to change a car wheel or look for something hiding under your car seat

Drac

It’s ace aren’t they Cougar? Mine arrived yesterday.

brads
    Free Member

Nitcore. Great torches.

unovolo
    Free Member

I have the RovyVon A1 that ‘Cougar’ mentioned further up and it is ridiculously bright on full power for its size, I would say the only problem with it is its that small its easily lost if not attached to a key chain or similar.

They have some more expensive models that have additional lights within the body that can be used as a lantern or Red/Blue strobe depending on the model(the red/blue strobe one is useful as a rear light whilst cycling).

lightman
    Free Member

I just got a Imalent DM70, one of the brightest EDC lights you can get.
    Works great as a hand warmer too!
    I use it on the bike all the time, and used it the other day to melt some heat shrink!

prettygreenparrot

Edit. Olight S2R. Great little torch with different brightness levels (moonlight, bright, very bright) and strobe setting for that Hit Girl disorientation/distraction effect.

DrP

My ‘free’ O-light arrived a few days ago too.
    Cool copper colour.
    It beats teh light output from my old Fenix AAA torch by a long shot..but the fenix was about 5 years old So I imagine LED tech has come on.

Brill little light that will sit on my keyring now.

Fenix are good also, but this o-light is fab!

DrP

Cougar

Cool copper colour.

It’s “Desert Tan” I believe.

No, me neither.

CheesybeanZ

Oops, meant to reply sooner. apparently a pair on Volmia torches have been purchased, the magnetic base and a light on the side were a deciding factor.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Torch, pocket size’ is closed to new replies.