• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Ogg.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tora fork problem
  • Ogg

When I fit a wheel to my Tora 318 forks the wheel sits at an angle, ie looking from the front the top of the wheel is closer to the LH fork by 5/10mm.
    I’ve tried with different wheels so it’s not that, so I guess I’ve bent the lowers somehow or damaged the dropouts?
    Saying that here’s no visible damage anywhere.
    Any ideas / are they fixable? I can find spare lowers on the web but they cost as much as a replacement fork.

Ogg

woody2000

I’d have thought any damage to the lowers would be noticeable, as I’d guess they’d crack/break rather than bend.

Stoner
    Free Member

have you tried putting the wheel in the other way round to check that the distortion is in the same direction or opposite?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Plumb line from middle of stem/steeer + measure distance to each fork from it is it the same? IF yes then no probs with fork and wheel/ tyre issue
    Will do same to mine tonight – SAME MODEL- and let you know

Ogg

Reversing the wheel has no effect.
    I’ll try measuring the fork up but I’m sure it wasn’t like this originally.

If you gently do up the QR the wheel sits straight but putting any pressure on it pushes it over as the axle goes fully into the dropouts.

I did fit a new spring to them a couple of months before I stopped using them – don’t suppose that would have an effect though?

I’m trying to sort them out to lend to a mate – don’t want to give him something dangerous!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A small difference at the drop-out can make a noticeable difference at the arch. I wonder if that new QR spring is wedging itself between the axle and the fork drop-out when you do the QR up?

Try with and without the QR springs.

Ogg

Scuse the ambiguity! I meant a new fork spring.

Junkyard
    Free Member

he means the QR spring on the skewer- remove that and see if that is ok I dont use it in my forks may make a difference

Junkyard
    Free Member

mine is roughly 2-4 mm (using fingers as a guide!!!) offset to the disc brake side. This is with the wheel in situ as I will not have time to do a better job tonight – sorry
    E-mail in profile if you want me to do a proper measure but wondering if this si a common issue/fault?

Ogg

Ah yes QR springs it is – removed the springs and it all sits straight.

Cheers all

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tora fork problem’ is closed to new replies.