Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • TOR for Beginners
  • Coyote
    Free Member

So, if one wanted to explore the darkside, where would one begin. Assuming that every Google search returned…

This site can’t provide a secure connection

http://www.torproject.org sent an invalid respons

Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.</span>

Genuine question #darknet_curious

Cougar

You’d start by not using Google.

colournoise

https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Works fine here on Linux / Vivaldi (Chrome).

That is the link works fine and I can DL Tor if I want to. Not sure I’m brave enough though…

slackalice
    Free Member

Tor browser works fine for me on Mac OS.

IHN

Is Tor something one might use if one wanted to entirely legally download films and stuff from torrent sites?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You do know TOR is full of holes don’t you?

as for going to torrent sites if they appear on the internet then you don’t need the TOR browser.

Back to is you have to ask probably best not get your fingers cut off

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

The TOR browser is just a small part of the whole ‘dark web’. Installing and searching using Disconnect / DuckDuckGo is the easy part.

Where it gets more interesting / difficult is finding consistency of the .onion addresses. Keep in mind why people use this method of communication. The domains tend to change regularly to avoid detection so you’ll have to become a member of some chat rooms where users update the .onion links. They appear like random or nonsensical sites like jghghsjagfja67576575.onion and in a few weeks its moved on to gajhgtytytyuvv.onion etc.

As a software engineer and all round geek it is a very clever bit of ingenuity.

I run it through a linux VM with enforced security policies, firewalls and VLAN’d off from my network just to be safe as there are a lot very nasty websites malicious code wise on there. Also, the content, if you’re successful finding up to date message boards be prepared to see stuff you possibly might not want to……or want to, which is one of the reasons you may be using it.

Be careful.

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>Torrenting doesn’t work through TOR so forget that one.</p><p></p><p>There are plenty of things you need to do further to installing TOR to remain safe but it’s hardly “full of holes” or people wouldn’t use it.</p>

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There are enough holes to make me very wary about using it or assuming any kind of anonymity.

Cougar

as for going to torrent sites if they appear on the internet then you don’t need the TOR browser.

Unless you have an ISP which actively blocks such sites, Sky for example.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just use a VPN then, much easier and out of the murky end of things

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘TOR for Beginners’ is closed to new replies.