Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Topeak track pump head – am I doing something wrong?
  • AlexSimon

Bought a Topeak Mountain large volume pump a few weeks ago and it seems really good.
    However, the dual-head design which looks like this…

…seems to let out a lot of air as you release the lever from a presta valve.
    I don’t know whether this is due to the other (Schrader) valve head being ‘open’ or whether it’s just not letting the presta nubbin release.

Anyone else?

jimw
    Free Member

I had the same to start with- now I pull on the head as I let the lever go and it reduces the problem. I just got used to adding a bit more pressure. I am fussy enough to check/adjust the pressure afterward with a digital gauge anyway so it isn’t a real problem to me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Buy a topeak super chuck, and fit that.

AlexSimon

Is it that good Nobeer? Reviews seem mixed on CRC, but maybe they just don’t ‘get’ it.

IA

+1 on the super chuck. Nothing to go wrong. Just push it on, pump, then pull it off. If you’re finding it tight then I find a little spit on the shaft lets you pull it off easier.

I typed that with a straight face somehow. Wash your mind out with soap!

Some people using my pump do seem to not “get it” though. But not a problem if it’s your own pump as you do.

scaled
    Free Member

I find a little spit on the shaft lets you pull it off easier.

So I’ve heard

Northwind

I put a Superchuck on my track pump, it’s crap- very temperamental about what valves it’ll work with. Some, it won’t grip to, so it pops off. Some, it won’t open the valve so it won’t let air into the tyre. Sometimes it works fine, and when it does, it’s no better than every other non-prima-donna chuck.

TiRed

As above, Superchuck is rubbish with my Zipp valve extenders. I had a bontrager one that was much better as a loaner from my LBS.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can’t comment on what the last 2 say, works fine on my 4 different bikes, 1 is stans valves, 1 DT, and the road bike and cx bike are tubes.

IA

Super chuck also fine on at least 9 bikes of mine present and past, and everyone who’s ever had a go on my track pump.

Smooth presta valves it can be a little slippy, just give the barrel a wee turn before you jam it on.

Pro tip to not lose the Schraeder adapter gaffer an old section of tube with a valve in it to the pump, then thread it on there.

PePPeR

I ran my own bike repair business for a few years and I loved my Topeak Smart head, it saved countless hours of frustration changing bits and pieces or leaks from the other hole, in dual head designs.

AlexSimon

This one PePPeR?

Link

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Topeak track pump head – am I doing something wrong?’ is closed to new replies.