• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by a11y.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Topeak Swing Up Vs Steadyrack?
  • woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Bought a load of Topeak Swing Up Ex hangers (the cheaper ones). They are ok for road bikes, but not so great for my mountain bike with its 2.4 tyres. It’s a right faff to get the wheel in, partly because the hook pivots about.

I’ve now bought a steadyrack MTB. In some ways it looks like a better option but I’ve not fitted it because:
    A) it looks a bit flimsy
    B) it won’t match the rest of the hooks in the garage.

Before I fit it, would I be better with a Swing Up DX – the really expensive one that has a look to stop the hook pivoting? I prefer the look of them, but not hugely keen on the idea of scratching rims. The steadyrack at least holds the tyre rather than the rim.

As I sit here recovering from a saddle to the nuts from trying to hang a bike up, I have also realised that getting bikes on walls is easier in YouTube videos than real life!
    Any thoughts from people who have tried both racks?

tomhoward

I’ve a few steadyracks. No problem storing a 50 odd lb ebike. If you get the height right, there should be no saddle/knackers interfacing.

spooky_b329

I’ve tried various wall hanging methods, don’t like them as unless you have a huge area, they protrude into the space a surprising distance and it’s all pointy at eye level, and you can’t really use the space underneath as you need it to move the bikes.

Pallet rack is my chosen solution, vertical slats a few centimetres from the wall and if you want to rearrange the bikes or add a new one, you can very quickly remove a couple of screws to reposition a slat to suit road or MTB. And then stick a couple of joists over the top with some OSB and you have a huge shelf to stack your crates of tyres, spares and sentimental old frames. With the front wheels at 45 degrees it steals about 165cm of depth and you can lean over them, versus ducking your head back around bars sticking out about 120cm.

Oh, and you can ground anchor to the floor as much as you want, not so easy putting ground anchors on a wall.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Thanks but it’s got to be was mounted for me. I want the floor space underneath it for things like massive trolley jacks.

SirHC

3 steady racks, they are sturdy things, kenevo sl and G1 don’t bother them at all.

Steady rack is dead easy to load and if you stagger the heights of the racks, you can mount the bikes close together.

a11y

Only Steadyracks here (haven’t used the Topeak) and they’re very sturdy – I’d have no concerns even with a heavy ebike. Got mine spaced close together (700mm I think) and staggered at 3 different heights to avoid bars clashing.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. I finally got round to fitting the steadyrack. Sooo much easier to use than a Swing Up hanger. I’ve ordered another one – just wish they weren’t so pricey!

The Topeak ones are ok for road bikes with cheap wheels, but anything with tyres wider than about 1.75″and they get really difficult to put the bike in.

oikeith

Question for the steadyrack owners here, how do the mudhugger style mudguards get along with the steadyrack?

SirHC

They scrape as you put the bike up, but dont seem to do any damage.

prezet
    Free Member

Can you lock the steady racks in place instead of the swinging action? and what are the chances of pedals damaging other bikes?

tomhoward

No. I’ve not had any issues with pedals scraping, but I’m reasonably careful hanging them up, and don’t have them super tight to the wall 

tomhoward

Also, if you’re worried about it, neoprene pedal socks (or just old ones) are great at avoiding scratches from pedals

muddyjames
    Free Member

Steadyrack are the best wall mounted bike hanger I’ve tried; and I’ve been through a few of them.

They are easy to use and also enable bikes to take up minimal space as you can fold them against the wall.

One of the best bits is how easy and lack of effort it is to hand and unhang the bike. This can’t be said for other methods like pedal hangers, or other wall hanger with tire hooks or simply wall mounted frame hooks.

They do take a bit of positioning to get the optimal layout and not to interface bars / forks when folding.

I have a number of the fatrack version and it works fine for all tire sizes that I’ve tried, with the smallest being a fairly skinny 26er tire. I’ve not tried a roadbike tire but see no reason why it wouldn’t work, the front wheel will just be angled slightly more away from vertical but will still be secure.

a11y

prezetFree Member
    Can you lock the steady racks in place instead of the swinging action?

If you tightened the adjustment bolts you can change how free n loose the racks swing around. I’ve not tried, but I imagine tightening them right up would bear enough lock them in place.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.