Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Top tube mounted child seat question
  • stick_man

Hi,

I have a mountain bike with the gear and brake cables which run along the top of the top tube. Is there any way of adapting the clamp on one of these child seats so it won’t restrict the cables?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leco-Tube-Front-Child-Seat/dp/B002ANCDV4

Thanks

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Is the mount going to stay on the bike? If so just mount it under the cables…

You should have enough “play” for the brake cable but if may effect the gears. Give it a try, if it effects the gears that much just reset the gear cables once the mount is in place.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

would require an elaborate engineering solution by the looks of things.

The weeride child seat positions the passenger in the same place, but has it’s own bar that mounts just above the top tube, so that would work, but only if you’ve not already got the one in the OP, in which case, I’ve just wasted a few minutes typing all this out.

stick_man

Ro5ey’s got a good point – for some reason I never though of that but now you mention it it’s an obvious solution!

Thanks v much.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you could run full length gear and brake cable outers, then just rest/zip tie them along the top tube.

toys19
    Free Member

I have that leco one and just run the cables over it, I put a bit of helitape between the cable and the clamp as there is a bit of rub, gears work fine, helitape is not noticeably worn despite the rubbing of the cable. Or run full length outers as reggigasket says.

Its a great seat, no nonsense. I put racer handlebar tape stuff on my bars inboard from the levers for my 4 year old to have a comfy grip. She loves being on the front, hated the rear seat, poor viewing angle.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

like this:

Image0093 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

its brilliant. My lad holds onto the bars (need some bar tape or gloves for him) and puts his feet on the fork crown.

stick_man

Thanks for the advice everyone.

At the moment I’ve got a make shift seat (piece of camping mat heli-taped around the TT) but as we venture more off road the 2 YO’s finding it a bit uncomfortable. For the foot rest I just covered an offcut of wood with a piece of inner tube and cable tied it to the head tube. Works a treat.

UncleBob
    Free Member

What you need is one of these seats:
    Little One Comes Too

Had one for about 3 years and now using it with my second kid – who loves it just as much as the first. A doddle to fit and move between bikes, works with both hard tails and FS too.

toys19
    Free Member

What you need is one of these seats:
    Little One Comes Too

Had one for about 3 years and now using it with my second kid – who loves it just as much as the first. A doddle to fit and move between bikes, works with both hard tails and FS too.

Whilst this sounds like a good idea they are not actually in production, and have none to sell.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Top tube mounted child seat question’ is closed to new replies.