Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Top tube bag – which ones are good?
  • Premier Icon trisysjoint

Need one to be able to charge the GPS on longer days out, the type that fit on the top tube just behind the stem. Anyone using these and can advise on things to look out for/which ones are waterproof/ don’t interfere with knees when riding etc please?

Thanks

Premier Icon yourguitarhero
    Free Member

They have a habit of wobbling around a lot.

Premier Icon trisysjoint

Yeah I know, some don’t hold very still especially with a power bank in there that’s 250g or more. There has to be some good ones though….

Premier Icon martinhutch

I have an apidura one. Decent, doesn’t wobble if you put a layer of duct tape or similar under the top tube straps and do them up super tight.

Premier Icon benp1

The best one I’ve used is the Revelate one, the others I’ve had have all wobbled

Premier Icon trailwagger
    Free Member

I have an Altura which is nice and slim so doesn’t interfere with knees. Very stable when strapped up. Not 100% waterproof though.

If you have skinny steel tubes be careful because most bags Velcro straps are designed for fatter tubes and will not close.

Premier Icon scotroutes

Revelate.

Doesn’t wobble.

Premier Icon aP
    Free Member

I have an Apidura which needs careful positioning and herself has a MissGrape which seems much more stable.

Premier Icon njee20

If you just want to hold a power bank then just get a small one and tape it to the stem plugged into the GPS. A bit Heath Robinson, but far easier, and won’t interfere with your knees!

Premier Icon grum

Hmm my revelate one wobbles. I must be doing it wrong.

Premier Icon big_scot_nanny

Revelate for me too, 5yrs old now on 2 bikes, no wobbles. Although trying to find a way to stop my tools/CO2 clinking on rough downhills is proving surprisingly elusive!

Premier Icon iainc

+1 Revelate

Premier Icon trisysjoint

Thanks everyone, looks like the revelate is the way forward.

@njee20
    – I had thought of that but….it rains lots here 🙂

Premier Icon trisysjoint

Any suppliers of revelate in the UK?
    Google search just seems to bring up overseas sellers

Premier Icon scotroutes

http://www.backcountry.scot

Premier Icon trademark
    Free Member

I wrapped a length of old innertube on the frame before I velcro’d the top-tube bag to it, stopped the slipping.

Big-scot-nanny, I wrap my clunky tools in that thin, foam like sheeting you get as parcel padding, that stops the clunking.

For a partially filled frame bag I scrunch up a bath sponge and insert that into the frame bag, it fills the space for no real weight added.

Premier Icon trisysjoint

Nice one scotroutes, on the site now !
    Is that your place or just somewhere you know of?

Premier Icon scotroutes

Not mine but I’ve bought a bit of stuff there and can recommend. If you cant see what you want send an email as I know there is more on the way.

For those suffering from the droop..

drj0n bagworks DeWidget

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

You can fit top tube bags inside the frame as well as a sort of mini partial frame bag.

Whether or not a top tube bag wobbles can be down to tube profile: an Alpkit bag on my Solaris which has a flattened shape to the top tube is fine but on my Pompetamine which has a round tube it flops around*.

OP, note that USB connectors aren’t waterproof so even if the powerbank is in a bag you’ll need to deal with that. Also have a look for “angle up” and “angle down” connectors, these have the plug set at right-angles which can reduce the strain a standard connector puts on the soldering holding USB socket to the main board of the GPS. With my Oregon I have to use one as there’s no room for a standard connector when the device is in the mount.

* Genuinely no double-entendre intended.

Premier Icon scuttler

Consider shortening the velcro straps too. They’re invariably very long but it makes pulling them tight a lot more difficult. I have a small Alpkit one which suits me for shorter bag-free rides (tube, CO2, tyre levers, multitool).

Premier Icon sl2000

I’ve no recommendation for a bag, but these Polaris straps are great for attaching things like batteries.

Premier Icon Cletus
    Free Member

I am happy with my Topeak Fuel Tank which has accompanied me on numerous 200 and 300 km audaxes over the past year.

It stays pretty secure on my aluminium Cannondale Synapse which does have a flattish top tube.

Maybe not “artisan” enough for most on here though 😉

Premier Icon eskay

Bookmarked

Premier Icon freeagent
    Free Member

I am happy with my Topeak Fuel Tank

+1. very happy with mine aswell..

Premier Icon timba
    Free Member

Topeak Tri Drybag. Narrow enough not to be kneed, easy access flip top (no zips), I haven’t properly tested it for being waterproof, I’m usually sheltering at home before then 🙂

Premier Icon MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ve tried a few, being a triathlonist and all that.

Best one I’ve used is an Altura Sprint energy pack.

Sits very stable. Zipped. Good capacity.

I use it mainly on mtb for carrying tools and it is rock solid as the straps are a good length and elastic ated so you can get it nice and tight.

Cheap too.

Premier Icon honeybadgerx

I’ve a couple of different size Alpkit ones which are great and don’t seem to wobble. As noted above, a lot is maybe down to tube shape/size. You can work wonders with a tube of seam sealant to add DIY grip dots on things, then use the rest of the tube for reinforcing stitching, etc. Good for wear points/seams on waterproof shorts too.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Top tube bag – which ones are good?’ is closed to new replies.