Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Top tips for Berlin
  • oldtennisshoes

Off there in mid November for a long weekend.

I’ve looked at the guidebooks, but what do those who’ve been recently recommend? It’ll be 3 adults and 2 younger teenagers. Ta

MrSparkle

The natural history museum is ace. The Reichstag is well worth a shufti, especially lit up at night. Boat trips are good and not overly expensive. The Ramones museum is ok if that’s your bag. It’s a bit out of the centre though. Lovely city. Enjoy.

mick_r

Templehof disused airport / huge public park. Get a hire bike to explore the vast runways.

tthew

Don’t bother with Checkpoint Charlie, it’s a model of the original and a tourist trap.

Defiantly the Reichstag tour, pre-booking is essential. And the wall memorial on Bernauer Strasser is excellent.

duncancallum

It’ll take your breath away…..

Sorry

avdave2

The Jewish Museum, Fallen Leaves is a piece of art as moving and thought provoking as any I have ever seen.

And if you are near the Radisson hotel pop in th look at the rather large fish tank above reception.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Don’t follow pretty female psychopathic assassins into nightclubs.

MrSparkle

The stag/hen do I went on had great fun on the beer bike but I guess that’s not appropriate for the OP.

Pyro

Bodyworlds exhibition at Alexanderplatz. TV Tower there as well.

BoardinBob

Dump the kids and go to Berghain

mossimus
    Free Member

Checkpoint Charlie might be a tourist trap but worth a visit to the area as there is a great little museum next to it showing the various ways people attempted to cross the wall.  Topography of terror is also in the vicinity.

Kollnischer park is a tiny urban space that houses two bears, worth a visit at feeding time for the novelty value.

The jewish memorial is a must see and if a nice day you can do worse than wander through the Tiergarten from Brandenburgh gate to the zoo.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks guys!

blitz

KitKat Club followed by a course of antibiotics

doris5000

what are the kids opinions on techno, gay clubs and amphetamines?  Because there are some exceptionally strong options in this area

timbog160

Trabant museum near checkpoint Charlie is good fun.  Topographie of terror is very moving.  As an aside the now finance ministry – next door to the top of terror – was previously the RLM, or air ministry, Goerings hq – it was one of the few nazi buildings left untouched by allied bombs at the end of the war – in spite of months of effort which left everything around it flattened!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I really enjoyed the zoo.

arrpee
    Free Member

Dump the kids and go to Berghain

Get knocked back from Berghain.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Self drive Trabant tour of the city was the highlight of our trip! 2 stroke engines and column mounted gear changes!

voodoo_chile

Topography of terror

Checkpoint charlie

Walk along unter den linden . Alexanderplatz to brandenburg gate

Kruezberg hipster area then on to templehof airfield

Mall of berlin and visit site of hitlers bunker just behind it

Olympic stadium looks exactly the same as it was in the 40s from the outside

Area around rosentahaler platz lots of food and drink places then down to hackescher market then down to museum island

Berlin zoo is great

Get re7 or re14 from schonefeld airport . Lot quicker

Berlin is great

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Find the irish bar under the railway arches and walk straight past, carry on into a nice bar surrounded square and have a good mooch around, some nice interesting little side streets etc, theres a really good Middle eastern cafe with superb kebabs/shwarma.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

there are a few former guard towers left around Berlin, a couple of them are the larger “command” towers. i know one is a little museum/memorial to those that died at the wall now on Keiler Strasser, the other is within the memorial park on Bernauer Strasse.

But hidden down a side street near Potsdam Platz is a DDR Watch tower, a group of volunteers look after the tower: for a small donation, you can climb the ladders up the tower.  Depending on how you think your kids are, it might be worth seeking out. the access up the tower is cold war military (small concrete tube, have to cross on a narrow platform from one ladder to the other to get to the top.)  The Volunteers are happy to chat about the history of the area and how things where when they squatted in the tower after the opening of the border.
    https://berlinwallexpo.de/en/

A trip up to the roof of the Reichstag may be interesting: but prebook before you go, as you need to register certain details, due to it being the parliament building and you’ll get to pick your visiting time, and avoid the long queues for visiting on the day.  There are audio guides in English

The Technology Museum is massive, like the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry: we only got chance to go around the electronics section and the air section

avdave2

Bodyworlds exhibition at Alexanderplatz

I met him once, he had a stand at ESC next to the one I was working on. It was rather odd to be handed the heart of an 80 year old woman by his assistant.

PaddyMcG
    Free Member

It’s a bit off the beaten track, but the Stasi museum is worth a visit. It’s the old headquarters of the East German secret police, who did a runner after demonstrators took over the building  in 1990. A lot of it is as they left it, with exhibitions of their crude and simplistic methods of spying on friends and colleagues.

If you’re near the TV tower and fancy a good burger (good veggie ones too), try Momotaro Tavern. Small restaurant with a limited menu but all good.

SaxonRider

My favourite city in the world.

The Pergamon Museum is mind-blowing, even if a person has little interest in ancient civilisations. To stand beneath the Blue Gate is unlike anything you will ever do.

And along similar lines (that is – even if you have no interest in religion), Berliner Dom is breath-taking. The crypt beneath, wherein the Prussian kings and nobility are interred, is one of the most haunting such places anywhere.

Otherwise, if you’re there late enough in November, the Christmas markets may be up, but regardless you should have plenty of opportunity to eat <span style=”color: #6a6a6a;”>Bratwurst mit Brötchen</span> from one of the outdoor stands, and drink copious amounts of Kindl Weisse.

Ultimately, though, you could conceivably start at Alexanderplatz and make your way up toward Unter den Linden with a few turn-offs, and you would have an amazing trip.

oldtennisshoes

Wow – thanks again all. Plenty to plan 😀

muddy@rseguy

And don’t forget Currywurst mit Pommes 🙂

wallop

I really enjoyed the Topography of Terror and some other stuff over in Potsdam but the real highlight was having a poo in the British Embassy. Other than that I can’t really remember.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Spionagemuseum opposite Mall Of Berlin is interesting if you’re into , well, spying. Near Potsdamerplatz

Currywurst maybe with a bit of Gluhwein if it’s in season. I’m told the Zoo is worth a visit too.

Brandenburger Gate at the western end of Unter den Linden, Alexanderplatz & Fernsehturm at the other end.

Make good use of the u-bahn if you want to really get around

there’s a short stretch of The Wall left between the finance ministry (ex RLM as mentioned above) and Topography of Terrors. Elsewhere, the course of the wall is marked by a double row of cobbles set into the street

oldtennisshoes

Just back – had a great time, thanks again for all the tips.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Top tips for Berlin’ is closed to new replies.