Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Top Tip for those with cup & cone hubs, especially new ones….
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

PP

Good point there I have always done the same because Shimano do appear to be alot shy with grease

Reluctant
    Free Member

Stripping and filling any type of bearing from new is a good idea. But there's no way I'd go back to cup n cone hubs. Pre-filled cartridge bearings in my antique Hope hubs last years and years. Servicing is easy, cheap and less messy than C&C and genuinely makes the hub as good as new. Cheap production is the main arguement for cup n cone, although Shimano might tell us there's less rolling resistance too. I think that's pretty insignificant though, when compared to wind resistance and tyre rolling resistance. Apart from that, I salute Shimano and everything they do.

mboy
    Free Member

Just opened up a pair of brand new M756 XT hubs…

VERY sparse on the grease from the factory! Just repacked with grease, and now they feel loads smoother already… 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

I'll be doing this (until after xmas when I'll be getting a pro II) as I found my XT rear to have been built up with scant regard, much like the rest of the bike- cheers Merlin.

Not a nice experience feeling the back end of your new bike go "funny". At least it didn't seize.

mboy
    Free Member

I'll be doing this (until after xmas when I'll be getting a pro II) as I found my XT rear to have been built up with scant regard, much like the rest of the bike- cheers Merlin.

To be fair I don't think that's Merlin's fault so much as Shimano. After all, it's not a job you'd expect to have to do to new hubs, regreasing the bearings before you ride…

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

Sorry, confusion. The hub wasn't set up properly and rear wheel went a bit stiff. It wasn't a grease issue. All the bolts on the bike's linkage were also torqued out of spec.

I just went round the whole thing after the hub incident (1st ride) with the torque wrench and its been fine since.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To be fair I don't think that's Merlin's fault so much as Shimano. After all, it's not a job you'd expect to have to do to new hubs, regreasing the bearings before you ride…

You've hit the nail on the head there fella! Couldn't have put it better myself 🙂

That's why I posted this thread really: People don't realise how much hassle they are potentially saving themselves in the short term, and how much money in the long term.
    There's a lot of loose locknuts out there right now, waiting to wreck a hub! 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Top Tip for those with cup & cone hubs, especially new ones….’ is closed to new replies.