Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Top swing, bottom swing. Discuss.
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

I understand the principle of top/bottom pull – I need a top pull.

Any reason why I couldn’t get a top swing for the hardtail? Are the smoother/betterer, less clag friendly, easier cable run, etc etc?

Sigh. This is what my life has become…..

timwillows
    Free Member

I think that the top swing is more compact which makes it fit better on more congested frames

Junkyard
    Free Member

plus the bottom swing has a gear cable running under your dirt covered bottom bracket so more likely to clog up etc

devoid_punk
    Free Member

Go singlespeed? 😆

soobalias
    Free Member

so you are talking ‘top swing’ vs ‘conventional’
    sometimes the bracket of a conventional front mech clamps where the seat post bottle boss is – this could prove restrictive depends on your frame.

in use ive found the conventional ones dont get bunged up with carp so much which results in a fail to shift to granny

the cable run on a top swing mech more neatly follows the seat tube, the conventional has to come out as more of an angle.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

kaiser
    Free Member

both Tim and particularly junkyard should be ignored completely re their advice , the term top and bottom swing relates to the position of the cage in relation to the clamp. ie if the mech plates are below the clamp it’s a bottom swing.both top and bottom swing can be either top or bottom pull depending on the mech you choose . many shimano mechs can accomodate both top and bottom pull set ups. often with full suss frames a bottom swing mech (conventional..and more durable I believe) is not possible as the clamp position is blocked by a shock mount…hence the necessity to pick a top swing. there may be other instances /advice on it’s way but as usual ..many people offeringf advice on stw really haven’t got a clue.

soobalias
    Free Member

never thought why i have a top swing on the fs. ta.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Top swing, bottom swing. Discuss.’ is closed to new replies.