Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Top out bumper for Sh!t kid's fork – any ideas?
  • Speeder

Bare in mind I haven’t disassembled the things yet so I don’t know what it looks like internally but the clunk in my kids new forks (soon to be replaced with something decent I hope) is doing my head in, it probably won’t matter to him but I can’t stand it.

Is there any material I can jam in there to give it a bit of a cushion? Obviously a cone bumper would be favourite but I’ve no idea where to get one or if they’re not available where to get some elastomer material – any ideas?

This is a quick fix for now pending getting something rigid or better (20″ Frog 60MTB with cr@ptastic forks) so it’s got to be cheap (pref free).

Cheers

Gary

akira

Ive used the a cut up grip before, old school thick rubber non lock on works best.

sideshow
    Free Member

Random thought, why not cut a loop of old inner tube and tie it between the bridge and crown of the fork, do so while fork is compressed so it comes under tension when released and prevents harsh top out.

Saves you disassembling the fork.

My official health & safety assessment of this is that your fork bridge is probably made of cheese and thus your kid will die, so try at your own risk…

nwmlarge
    Free Member

What about some bushes for a car?
    Or an old school door stop

towzer

plastic wine cork

Speeder

towzer – Member
    plastic wine cork

Not many of those about these days – all ours are screw tops 😆

pocpoc
    Free Member

You’ll just have to sample a few different bottles of wine until you find one with a plastic cork.
    Win win 😀

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’ve got some old elastomers, pm me once you get the fork apart and see how much material you need. I’d have thought that 5-10mm would be sufficient to deaden the top out thump.

Speeder

Thanks for the offer Steve that’s awesome I’m taking them apart tonight so I’ll come back to you but yes I expect 10mm will be plenty.

smiffy

I kept an old Rockshox alive with a Leff cork a long time ago.

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

if you know the measurement you can get rubber cotton reel mounts from any car car spares shop ,just cut the threaded ends off and they should work fine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Top out bumper for Sh!t kid's fork – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.