• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by hug.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Top or bottom pull
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hi,

Is the mech pictured below top or bottom pull, or both?

Ta

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Looks like top to me.

crazy-legs

Can’t really tell from that pic. It’s certainly Top SWING (ie the moving part of the mech is ABOVE the clamping band).
    Easiest way to tell is to pull the cable clamp bit up or down and see which of those ways makes the mech move – if you pull the cable clamp DOWN then it’s bottom pull, vice versa for Top Pull.

Onzadog
    Free Member

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Theres perhaps a better pic below.

Looks like a top pull to me, there doesnt appear to be any alternate routing for the cable to go so it can be used either way

Ta

andym
    Free Member

Jeez those pictures are rubbish – you need to stand back a foot or so.

The mech should have the model number on it. You can then download the fitting instructions from the shimano website.

theflatboy
    Free Member

that might be the worst “better” picture i’ve ever seen 😆

jonb
    Free Member

Looks like top pull only to me.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

that might be the worst “better” picture i’ve ever seen

Haha

They arent my pictures by the way.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Going from an unclear picture of the right side of the mech to an equally unclear picture of the wrong side of the mech really didn’t help. 😯
    .FWIW, I reckon top pull too.

midlifecrashes

Fitted one of those this afternoon. Top pull only, and specific clamp sizing, no shimming. Easy mech to set up though, if it fits.

jonb
    Free Member

Is that a conventional style.It’s the same look as the one on my bike (although mine is top and bottom). Rubbish design fills up with mud.

I’ll get this style next time

midlifecrashes

The style in your pic is conventional (or bottom swing), David’s is top swing.

hug
    Free Member

Definitely Top (if you want it to replace a bottom pull it can be converted to bottom pull, just swap your old bottom pull quadrant & pivot pin which is longer & unscrews)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Top or bottom pull’ is closed to new replies.