Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Top Gear Nepal special
  • Harry_the_Spider

Enjoyed that. Freddie is being less of a prick, nobody cut any doors off or glued a toilet seat to the roof and that tow up the mountain pass looked shit-scary.

The dark days of the end of Clarkson & Co, are long gone.

jimw
    Free Member

The 106 Rallye was impressive over the terrain.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Freddie is being less of a prick

Now… if they’d only get rid of Paddy McPaddyface…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Scenary was good tis why we watched it.

Almost all of their bellendery was shit

simondbarnes

It was fine with the sound turned off.

Drac

Simon may have a point here. Chris’s boring commentary gets no better time he was replaced.

DickBarton

It isn’t Top Gear other than the name. As usual all presenters get a slating, so either don’t watch it or accept it for what it is…a car show with a similar theme to an old car show…

Drac

Well that was errmmm! Average.

“We’re so close the edge there’s hardly any room.” Camera pans out to show there’s ample room.

boomerlives
    Free Member

It isn’t Top Gear other than the name.

Well, there’s no Wille Woolard for a start…

It’s evolved, stop living in the past.

IdleJon

Why have they got such a fascination with driving unsuitable cars through mud in exotic countries, while failing to show anything interesting about that country.

And what was so great in that episode that it needed to be 75 minutes long, instead of 60?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tell that to the show’s producers who have been desperate to recreate the chemistry with 3 ransoms ever since they were forced to.

It hasn’t evolved the formats the same shite it’s just different people .

And while clarkson/may/Hammond were goons….. They were believable goons. They did genuinely act like 3 mates.

The current three are just distractions.

kerley
    Free Member

It evolved from the William Woodard days to the shows of around 2005. After that there was zero evolution and just repetition.
    Pick country, choose 3 unsuitable cars, drive them and get predictable issues with them. The Grand Tour is pretty much exactly the same too.

A lot of much, much better car related stuff on YouTube these days for anybody interested in cars so that is good news.

halifaxpete

It was an enjoyable watch but nothing new TBH, As a group they seemed to have clicked well. Loved small quickish Peugeots for years and that 106 was a little hero! According to CH’s insta he’s bringing the 4 home.

Drac

Pick country, choose 3 unsuitable cars, drive them and get predictable issues with them.

Except that’s only in the specials. 🤦🏻‍♂️

roger_mellie

Freddie is being less of a prick

I thought he was being more of a prick, especially at the start.

jim25

Didn’t watch it all. Looked the same as the old Clarkson Xmas zpecials(which I enjoy) but what I mean is looks the same script, buy 3 cheap cars drive them up a mountain or field or desert or river or jungle etc… Make sure one crashes Into the back of one of the others…
    I turned off when th mustang towed them up the dirt road near the end, walked off said.” how they getting them cars back down… Bet one of them gets rolled down”
    Came back ten minutes later and saw one of them smashed and dented. I assumed it rolled over somewhere.

Same generic Clarkson and Hammond stuff, at least they’ve branched out to boats now.

kerley
    Free Member

Except that’s only in the specials.

Most of the shows are like that now and typically include a very similar thing even if not in a different country the Grand Tour is all like that. It must be what people want so that’s great.

I don’t blame them, it is provided as an entertainment show with some cars in it which is what it is doing I suppose. Not worth them going in depth on cars now as they are outclassed by much better dedicated YouTube channels which actually are evolving as the production quality has increased massively over the last 10 years.

project
    Free Member

Three new words for 2020.

ENTERTAINMENT

and

CHANGE CHANNEL,

if you dont like a program, its presenters or format, use one or both actions above #simples

as per usuaal high quality filming and editing, witty script, and high production values.

kerley
    Free Member

ENTERTAINMENT

and

CHANGE CHANNEL,

So people are not allowed to discuss a TV program, they just have to switch over?
    I think you may be missing the point of a forum and discussion in general…

richmars

Yes but some on here have been moaning about TG for years, but no one has suggested a format that moves it on, and would get the viewer numbers it has.

Every few months there’s a new series, and people moan. There surely comes a time when you should either move on or stop complaining.

simondbarnes

Yes but some on here have been moaning about TG for years, but no one has suggested a format that moves it on, and would get the viewer numbers it has.

I like the format. I *really* dislike 2 of the presenters.

salad_dodger

I too like the format. The presenters and script are shockingly bad though.

Drac

as per usuaal high quality filming and editing, witty script, and high production values.

I thought it lacked its normal filming, editing and production it was pretty poor compared to their normal. The script was quite poor too but while you have Chris the most boring presenter they can think of acting then it’s not going to work.

I too like the format but not 1 of the presenters. There’s been lots of suggestions on here of format  changes, some want to go back discussing if the family Labrador will fit in the boot with a week’s worth of shopping.

richmars

Just to be clear, I’m happy with the format as well, it’s an entertainment programme, and it entertains me. I don’t think the current presenters are as good as the old 3, but I’ll still watch it.

martinhutch

ENTERTAINMENT

and

CHANGE CHANNEL,

if you dont like a program, its presenters or format, use one or both actions above #simples

Using the word ‘simples’ in 2020 should be an automatic banning offence.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

If you pay for a license then whinge away, this shite should be put in a bricky sack with EastEnders and tossed into the nearest precipitation vessel.

Drac

Ah! I see we have a Miranda fan.

project
    Free Member

Top Gear makes huge revenues for BBC worldwide the trading arm of BBC, thats why its still going, as for the presenters , perhaps forumites can name 3 presenters to take their places, to appeal to a worldwide audience, and not just Miranda fans as above.

As for a new format, what about a has been celeb racing round a track, or a chap dressed in a white romper suit doing the same,you could have over priced cars being driven at the speed limit round the country, with a driver going on about the steering and suspension, and the seats etc,Possibly a chatty bit with the unknown celeb,all surrounded by an audience of overweight middle aged blokes looking at cars they’ll never afford or even drive.

Chuck in some jokes some un politically correct chat, some forced laughter,and loud engine noises, and we have a programe.

On that Bombshell………..

But that was the past, the future must be a change

kerley
    Free Member

I could suggest loads of formats. Whether the viewer numbers would remain the same nobody knows though. I suppose I would need to run some focus groups which presumably somebody has and the response is they like the tired format. Explains why shit like I’m a celebrity is still going after all these years, people seem to have a lot of patience and zero imagination.

mrsheen
    Free Member

I think its a victim of its own success. To change the formula that’s worked would be a risk of sorts.

With so many channels now there’s car shows covering bases which Top Gear could’ve tried. I for one like Comedians in Cars getting Coffee; and Chasing Classic Cars.

If Top Gear changed then it might get accused of copying.

hazzatrazza
    Free Member

I have dabbled in TG since its ‘disbandment’ and always found it hard to watch. Even with the current 3 presenters, the series seemed forced. I found the Nepal Special to be significantly more enjoyable and i actually laughed out loud and felt gripped to their journey. Hopefully the trip will increase their rapport for the future of the show

reluctantjumper

They’ve had to panic-grab some presenters after Leblanc left. Him and Harris worked really well together, they just needed to find a professional presenter to complement them. Sadly Rory wasn’t able to fill that role!

I treat it as a mobile cut-price Last Of The Summer Wine kind of entertainment now, it was there with CHM but at least they had genuine chemistry. The current 3 are a bit forced but when they let Harris do a proper car-focussed piece it works really well to compliment the two Chuckle Brothers for the rest of the show. Harris is kind of wasted on the show right now but hopefully they’ll change the lineup one by one and he’ll find a happy place to flourish.

cubist
    Free Member

3 “celebrities” are attached to the front bumper of three slightly related cars driven by racingdrivers who proceed to have a race around somewhere interesting whilst smashing the hell out of each others cars. The one with the most of their celebrity left at the end is the winner.

This format has celebrities which means it will bring viewers of celebrity shows in, it has cars for the Top Gear crowd and finishes with 3 fewer “celebrities”. Win, Win, Win!

Lionheart
    Free Member

But they killed a 106 Rallye! A pucker homologation special. Rarer than the rarest original Cooper S model. They can not be forgiven ..

coppice
    Free Member

My 1st car was a red s1 106 rallye and i’ve still got it 15 years on. I would have been greatful for all the panels off that one but it adds to the cars story.

I like Chris Harris, he’s a proper car geek. I dont mind the other 2 either but they need to stop wrecking cars for comedy value as its just not funnny.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear Nepal special’ is closed to new replies.