Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Top Gear Africa Special tonight
  • honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Got to say i’d like to know how or where Hamond managed to get that Subapoo for under 1500 quid 🙂

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Got to say i’d like to know how or where Hamond managed to get that Subapoo for under 1500 quid

can’t find a bugeye at the moment, but a classic here for closer to a grand:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-wrx/subaru-impreza-wrx-estate-2-0-turbo-300bhp–bargain/1062965

If it’s a cat D you should be able to find a bugeye for closer to £1500 or a leggy one for that money

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Failing that, a Passat 4Motion or Octavia Scout, although the Legacy would fit more into the “power” theme.

Can you get them for £1500?

Got to say i’d like to know how or where Hamond managed to get that Subapoo for under 1500 quid

Did you not see the paintwork? It’s rogered. Lacquer was peeling off on the bonnet!

EDIT
    I just looked on Auto Trader. There’s a good choice of them at that price, probably in better nick than Hammonds. £2k buys a pretty nice one.

nicko74

Bit late to the party but… like it.

Heart says 850R, head says Impreza. And how many of those Scorpios were ever sold? IIRC, there were something like 15 a year selling of the saloons when they ceased production, so what – 3 a year of the estates?!

trail_rat
    Free Member

All subarus are common up here for that money 10 years + old

Most as rear inner arch ways need alot o welding for mot …. Meanwhile in uganda mot consists of ?????

Harry_the_Spider
    ScottChegg
    Free Member

Personally I’d have gone for a 4WD Volvo, loads of V70 AWD’s available at less than £1500.

martinhutch

Personally I’d have gone for a 4WD Volvo, loads of V70 AWD’s available at less than £1500.

Part of the fun is getting a clearly less-than-suitable car through the terrain, though.

Even though it’s all contrived, still pretty entertaining stuff.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I want their “job”.

darkcove

Brought back fond memories of my old 850R

binners

Kryton57 – Member

I’ve just realised my perfect “bike car” can be had for £1500.

That’s precisely what I was thinking. I never thought I’d ever say this, but I want a Volvo 😯

Kryton57

@ Binners – in an attempt to be more modern I’ve just spent sone time looking at fairly current V50’s. those with the body kits look pretty good.

Do you know – I would!

psling
    Free Member

Love the way the bugeyed Scorpio is hit by the ugly stick but the Imprezza Bugeye is cool…

First time we actually got to see how many support crew are along for the ride judging by the queue for the loo 🙂

cudubh

My wife drives a slightly newer version of the Impreza. She was well chuffed how it got on. I get to call her an agri-yob now. 😀

Markie
    Free Member

She was well chuffed how it got on. I get to call her an agri-yob now.

Win win! 😀

monkey_boy
    Free Member

great episode, the specials are soooo much better than the normal show.

brakes
    Free Member

agri-yob

ahhhh, so that’s what they were saying.
    I thought it was pretty good although not a lot happened. I thought the car conversions spoiled it a bit – another re-hash.

bigyinn
    Free Member

You sure? I thought they were saying ANGRY yob.

PrinceJohn

I thought it turned into Jackass briefly when they entered Jezza…

Flaperon

First decent Top Gear episode in ages. Can’t wait til next week. Genuinely funny even if entirely contrived. Admire Jeremy’s posh hotel.

Impressed by how capable the Impreza was as well.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

First time we actually got to see how many support crew are along for the ride judging by the queue for the loo

Apparently the best car to go anywhere in is any mildly ridiculous car, and a small fleet of Range Rovers

Northwind

Harry_the_Spider – Member

That’s a lot of car for £900

Tries not to throw up. Throws up a lot.

FuzzyWuzzy

Was a bit dull I thought, especially the whole source of the Nile contrived thing, could have just done it about driving around Lake Victoria or something. There’s only so much fat guts in sweaty shirts I want to see to.
    I wonder if they did actually sleep in that crappy ‘hotel’ the first night, fair play if they did (I wouldn’t have!). I also wonder how many of the support crew are security to, I doubt they’d last long otherwise…

globalti
    Free Member

There’s no way they slept in the truck drivers’ brothel, there will have been an Indian or South-African owned hotel just down the road. Uganda isn’t that backward! It’s actually one of the cleaner, nicer countries I’ve visited in Africa.

I can vouch for the traffic in Kampala though, it’s the worst I’ve ever seen. it took me two hours to be driven the 3 kms from my agent’s office to my hotel one evening; I’d have jumped out and risked a “boda-boda” motorcycle taxi but that would have meant abandoning the poor hapless Indian clerk who had been given the job of diverting to my hotel on his way home and it didn’t seem right.

You can tell from the way the TG trio don’t really engage with the locals that they are just the visible part of a massive road show and the comedy bog queue was an indication of the resources that actually go into creating these so-called “budget” escapades.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear Africa Special tonight’ is closed to new replies.