Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Toothache post-filling; normal?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

At a check-up a few weeks ago, I mentioned to my dentist that I had a bit of sensitivity in a tooth, which was only triggered if I ate, for example, a sticky bun. As I don’t eat too many sticky buns, this wasn’t so much of an issue. But he x-rayed anyway, and on Friday, as well as getting a small veneer at the gumline of one tooth, he stuck in a filling on the sensitive tooth.

However, any pressure on this tooth now is now painful. For example- eating a slice of toast- its too tender on that side now. It was never like this before.

I’ve not had a filling in many many years, so can’t tell- is this normal, or should I be concerned? No infection in it that I can detect.

Kuco

I had this a few months ago, go back to the dentist and get some antibiotics. It took two types the milder version settled it but it took the stronger one to do the trick. But don’t expect the pain to go straight away took about 3 weeks after the stronger antibiotics for it to settle completely.

Your filling should be guaranteed for 12 months so if it still plays up after the tablets the dentist shouldn’t recharge to do the filling again if needed.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks Kuco, I’ll ring tomorrow.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I had a filling replaced recently and converted it from an old silver one to a new white one so some drilling was required, as they work differently. It was quite sensitive for a good 5 days or so after. The dentist did warn me about it and, true to their word, it did eventually settle down. I never had toothache with it, but it was quite sensitive.

codybrennan
    Free Member

TBH WS, I’ve not had ‘toothache’ for a long, long time (been lucky), so what I’m describing as toothache I should describe a bit better- there’s only ache or discomfort when there’s pressure on the tooth. So it could be normal. I’ll ring anyway.

Kuco

Yep thats what I had I couldn’t even eat a banana on that side. I gave mine about 5 days hoping it would settle and then when it didn’t I went back to the dentist.

The dentist said something about sensitivity and the antibiotics would settle it.

theotherjonv

Speak to the dentist but i wouldn’t be surprised if he says it’s normal. I assume you had a local at the time, the drilling and prep will still have stimulated the nerve, it’s just that the local blocks the sensation getting there. Once the local wears off, the nerve will still be inflamed and sensitive, particularly when stimulated.

backinireland
    Free Member

Is it sensitive to hot or cold?

If pressure is sore it could be an abscess ie tooth dead in which case no response to temperature. Antibiotics can sort this but definitive treatment is extraction or root treatment. Take note kuco

If pressure and temperature sensitive could b nerve inflammation or possibly a cracked cusp, may need crown

In terms of guarantee failure of the filling may be guaranteed but further treatment such as root treatment would be at further cost.

codybrennan
    Free Member

OK, cheers all.

backinireland
    Free Member

Was it temperature sensitive before it was filled?
    What colour of filling is in it now?

Difficult to diagnose via the interweb, I’m a dentist btw, not sure about the others…

theotherjonv

I’m not a dentist, just repeating what mine said to me in the same situation. Hence why my actual advice was to speak to him/her.

codybrennan
    Free Member

BII- temp sensitivity beforehand- no, not so I’d ever noticed.

Filling: a dark metallic colour.

It only bugs me when pressure is applied to the tooth’s face via food- and I’ve just checked and its sensitive to a drink of chilled water.

No probs TOJV, all input respected.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I should reiterate that it really wasn’t bothering me at all prior to the filling; as said, a sugary bun would make it a bit sensitive for a few mins, cured by flossing normally.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ll definitely contact my dentist tomorrow.

PePPeR

My dentist normally tells me to use sensodyne type toothpaste and rub it into the affected area to relieve any sensitivity.

backinireland
    Free Member

Possibly a crack. S
    Metal fillings don’t stick to teeth, white ones can bond cracks.
    Sensodyne good for cold sensitivity not so much for pressure sensitivity
    Again hard to say without having seen it or the X-ray

Would normally expect some sensitivity after a filling but would advise contact your own dentist

paul4stones

Could be slightly high and may need some adjustment.

With a group of other dentists we did a study a few years ago about post-op pain and it was slightly surprising that pretty much all patients had some discomfort after a filling had been placed, ie that is normal. Long term complications (kuco) we’re not related to the severity of post-op pain so it wasn’t an indicator of potential future problems. Pretty much what theotherjonv said but science 😉

codybrennan
    Free Member

Ah, ok, cheers.

Out of interest: “Metal fillings don’t stick to teeth.” How does a filling stay in place then, if it doesn’t adhere?

Kuco

backinireland my tooth is fine now as I said the antibiotics sorted it out.

paul4stones

Yes but antibiotics sort out infection not inflammation. If the tooth is infected then it needs to come out or be root filled. Unless you actually had a root filling in which case antibiotics may help to settle it too.

Amalgam stays in by dovetailing essentially. It’s just joinery/engineering on a small scale 🙂

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Interesting to hear about the dovetailing. Is that what the dentist is doing/preparing when they are using the drill that sounds really rough after the initial mining operation?

paul4stones

Hmm, no. The high speed cuts anything so quickly gets through the enamel or any original filling. The ‘rough’ one runs much more slowly and is used to remove decay. Fortunately the decay usually produces undercut cavities so retains non adhesive filling materials easily.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Toothache post-filling; normal?’ is closed to new replies.