Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • TOOTHACHE! ibuprofen doing nothing, what next?
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

codiene? co-codamol?

400mg ibuprofen is doing nothing. seeing the dentist tonight. just need to get through the day

rone

If it’s an abscess only antibiotics will touch it.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Codeine will help a lot better than ibu.

See if you can get something local applied to it as well. Try warm salt-water rinses in your mouth. Rub clove oil into the general achey area.

Hope it gets you some relief.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Oragel from a chemist

jekkyl

Keep swilling cold or warm water round the tooth for a few seconds relief.

submarined
    Free Member

Clove oil.

And paracetamol, ground up and rubbed on locally.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Cold water was the only thing that stopped mine, albeit temporarily. It shrinks the nerve so that it’s not pushing against the tooth. Then it was bye bye tooth.

batfink
    Free Member

Dispersable asprin

eth3er
    Free Member

Cocaine?

teethgrinder

Antibiotics for 5 days, then extraction. Get to the dentist, and you may be lucky… Might be able to give you an injection into the root. Unless it’s a leaking abcess.

martinhutch

Klunk
    Free Member

clove oil, small ball of tissue dipped in it (tweezer help here),  then held against the offending area it will taste foul at first but you’ll get use to it as the pain eases

Yak

Abscess?? Horrible pain that you can’t escape from. I went for the combo of paracetamol, iboprofen, 3 pints of Guinness and a couple of whiskies.

That was only to help me sleep though. What actually did it was antibiotics followed by root canal treatment. Oh joy.

Stoner
    Free Member

A friend put himself in hospital self-medicating for toothache with ibuprofen.

Admittedly a middle aged man of heroic drinking skillz was never a finely tuned machine, but the ruptured stomach ulcer and subsequent violent blood loss via both exit holes was apparently quite dramatic. And v v nearly fatal.

JackHammer

?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Also get a water flosser, I had a wisdom tooth infection, was caused by total lack of access to the gum at the back of the tooth. It was extracted but the other one was at risk, with the water flosser I can get right in there and flush out all the bits of last nights curry and lunchtimes chicken and ham pie..
    The batteries only last a year or so, this is our latest one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075YR3WRC/

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i’ll try that triplle header, and ground up paracetamol? hmm.

it doesn’t seem to be a proper absess cos it’s open to the rest of the mouth. it’s under a recently done crown, and sugar can get in there causing a spike of pain.

did hava an absess once which relieved the pressure by rupturing sidways out of my gum. not violently, but jus puss pushing out of the side. nice.

jonba
    Free Member

I found Bonjela worked if you just smeared on both gums. TCP similarly.

Shortly followed by an emergency root canal. Cost a fortune as it was private and I ended up with a crown. Wish I’d just told him to pull it our and bought a bike instead.

Drac

i’ll try that triplle header, and ground up paracetamol? hmm.

Just to be clear you do mean triple header grinding up the Paracetamol not and grand Paracetamol?

ctk
    Free Member

As above ground up pain killer on sore spot

lesgrandepotato

Full colonic. It’ll take your mind off it.

survivor

Clove oil

I had really bad tooth pain caused by a bit of tooth stuck in the gum. Was desperate one night and tried every painkiller I had including tramadol.

Found some clove oil. 20mins later. No pain. Couldn’t believe it!

oldnpastit

If there’s an infection it will be creating pus, which given enough pressure (e.g. from massaging with your fingers) will eventually squirt out through a newly formed hole in your gum.

Which is hard to describe, but the relief is amazing.

My dentist actually did this to me, so I think it’s legit.

Of course it might also infect your blood stream and kill you I guess, but I think that’s a risk you will happily take.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

that’s what i descirbed before with an absess yes. it happened by itself while i was driving. wierd sensation, but it le tthe pus and pressure out.

anyway, turns out it was, according to my dentist, a stray bit of cement from when the crown was glued, on digging into my gum. as she said, sounds like a small thing (and was; size of a breadcrumb) but can be unbelievably painful.

so sounded quite convincing, and felt it, i did get a good night’s sleep, BUT this morning it’s back.

could just be healing up, but i’m back on the ibu and para…

grrr.

Muke
    Free Member

Orajel +1

Don’t get it on your tongue though

benjamins11
    Free Member

Can I just add please don’t be tempted to go over the standard paracetamol dose i.e. 1g 4 times per day. I’ve lost count of the number of accidental/unaware paracetamol overdoses I’ve seen in ED as a result of tooth abscesses!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘TOOTHACHE! ibuprofen doing nothing, what next?’ is closed to new replies.